Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-14-2001, 11:58 AM   #1
zamboni
Founding Member

Default Re: A Word from the Wise

Amen
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2001, 12:33 PM   #2
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

IF lots of people are selling, then lots of people will be buying ...at literally "fire sale" bargain prices! With the exception of a handful of firms that may have suffered direct losses of unknown recoverability from the attacks, all companies are worth whatever they were worth Tuesday morning, and their stock is still as over- or undervalued as it was then. Anybody who dumps is dumb but I'm not the least bit worried about it if they do.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:41 PM   #3
jackbird
Founding Member

Against prevailing advice last year, I got entirely out of equities and put all our retirement money into bonds. I pretty much kept the inflated value of the dot com boom safe while my friends and relatives who stayed in, like, s+p index funds, have lost 30 per cent and those stocks are still on average overvalued about double compared to the average valuation of the past century.

Please do not confuse good financial planning with patriotism. This is honestly still a great time to try to save anything you may have left.

I am a real refugee to these shores. Coming here let me escape from those who killed all the rest of my family. I love this nation. It's the sanctuary for the rest of the world, and it's hope.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:56 PM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree with the kid on this one, Jackbird you can keep your money in bonds if you like but the US Free Market system quatified by the S&P 500 will win the race with fixed return bonds in the long run. I am staying the course of always buying stock because we have the greatest country in the world. You can call it Patriotism if you like but in this case Patriotism and good long term finiancial planning are compatible. The market will be back and those who choose not to be bold will be left with a 3% return. see http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^SPC&d=c&k=c1&a=v&p=s&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l

for evidence.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:58 PM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: A Word from the Wise Buy Buy

I agree with the kid on this one, Jackbird you can keep your money in bonds if you like but the US Free Market system quatified by the S&P 500 will win the race with fixed return bonds in the long run. I am staying the course of always buying stock because we have the greatest country in the world. You can call it Patriotism if you like but in this case Patriotism and good long term finiancial planning are compatible. The market will be back and those who choose not to be bold will be left with a 3% return. see http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^SPC&d=c&k=c1&a=v&p=s&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l

for evidence.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 08:15 AM   #6
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Buy Buy, Money!

I look to get back into equities when valuations approach historical levels of price-earnings ratios.

They're still about double. The Japanese stock market shows us that stock prices can steadily deflate for twelve straight years.

If you can pump up the value of your shares with a little patriotism, I don't see much harm in that. Just understand that some of us love our country, but see no patriotism in loosing money. I thought bonds were a better deal last year. I was way right, and I'm still right. Good luck to you personally though. Us bikers are all a great bunch of folks and I know you are too.
Old 09-15-2001, 05:25 PM   #7
ratso4747
Founding Member

Buy a new bike.....
ratso4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 09:11 PM   #8
schipwreck
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy Buy, Money!

"Just understand that some of us love our country, but see no patriotism in loosing [sic] money."

Wow, you're a regular Nathan Hale.

schipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 06:55 AM   #9
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy Buy, Money!

Ex Marine too. Volunteered in 1966. Easy to be a patriot sitting in front of a computer.

I see those dumb enough not to have seen a long market decline coming, are also dumb enough to play pocketbook patriot.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:07 AM   #10
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Sorry. I don't take financial advice from yahoos

There have been people trying to say the great global economic decline is over since the dot com boom ended. They have money to make by convincing people that is really the case.

This pocketbook patriotism pitch is pure poop. If you think you're going to help your country by losing half your nut, go ahead and stay in the market for the coming year.