Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-31-2001, 04:23 AM   #41
Mnick
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki and Kawasaki to join forces

The last two years in Daytona I have seen a great number of Vulcans and Nomads but hardly any Suzukis, Yamahas or Hondas.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2001, 03:49 PM   #42
jondeeeee
Founding Member

Photoshop can do amazing things...
Old 08-31-2001, 04:42 PM   #43
nome
Founding Member

let us hope harley doesn't do away with it's push rod motors. and let us hope yamaha keeps thier push rod bikes to. there are reasons for push rods vs overhead cams, read yamaha's web site, if you have time. I found it very informative. oh and harley does dominate the market.
nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 09:09 PM   #44
nome
Founding Member

don't know about Suzuki but could buy "new"two year old hondas and Kawasakis early this year. As well as some BMW models. the market to me seems to be in the ATV's and not just four wheelers, but the mules etc. I know many people who not only want but need these things. you see as people get older it's harder for them to just get around. my parents are looking at getting a golf cart because of age related problems. the local Kawasaki dealer stocks them (mules) and a few bikes. the Yamaha dealer has four wheelers and water craft plus great crusiers, air cooled push rod tourque monsters. and the quality, outstanding, not even going to mention the R1. Well barely. And our local dealer sticks to his price, tells you alot right there. Kawasaki guy discounts, had a bicycle shop so I know you can't do business long that way. The mark up on things only seems like a lot-until you try paying the bills. I will say that for me Honda has the Goldwing +everything else (not always a good thing), Harley has a good attractive motorcycle but no off road or farm use product. Yamaha has it going on, I believe,if I were a betting man..............
nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 03:22 AM   #45
johnz
Founding Member

Kawasaki has been dragging along on the bottom for years, and Suzuki is under pressure to reduce exposure in bikes (now that GM has a large cut).

Kawasaki has been hurt by the soviet collapse and then the asian crisis. These created a glut of ships that were dumped on the market. Kawasaki is primarily a ship builder.

Kawasaki is also merging its ship-building opeartions. Basically, they're on the way out.

Most of the bikes in India and Asia are japanese designs, true, but they no longer pay any royalties to japan, they have become indigenous.

The japanese bike makers are being hurt where it counts : Asia, India, and Europe.

The USA is not a very important market.

BTW, Bajaj no longer markets its bikes as Kawasaki (because Kawasaki is seen as out of date in India), and Hero Honda will stop paying licences to Honda this year.
johnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 12:43 AM   #46
chd
Founding Member

Fair enough mate but will the merge be enough to win on the racetrack?,afterall its still a 750 4 against the 1000 twin
chd is offline   Reply With Quote