Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-29-2001, 08:12 PM   #21
sporty13
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki and Kawasaki to join forces

I would not classify the 6R and 9R failures. I would say that both Kaw and Suz tend to flood their dealers with bikes though. I work at a Yam, Hon and Kaw dealer. Yammies always sell out first. Last year, Hondas went second and Kaw third. This year we still have 01' 929s and 1 9R left. I think its just they way the market is now plus the rumors of updated models.
sporty13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 09:00 PM   #22
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I only call them "failures" because I see lots of CBRs and YZFs on the road, and nearly as many GSX-Rs, but very few ZX-*Rs (I live in Boulder, CO--a very sportbike-oriented college town). Interestingly, though, ZX-6E's are pretty common, as are EX500's--Kawasaki is doing better in the not-so-bleeding-edge segment (spanking the Katana line and competing well with YZF600R's).

I'm only commenting on the sales I percieve, not the quality of product itself.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 09:48 PM   #23
4in6
Founding Member

Kawi makes slow crappy handling bikes and suzuki makes bikes that only get 4000 miles a clutch basket. We have a company that makes heavy bikes that breakdown already maybe you have heard of it its called harley davidson
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:55 AM   #24
hutch
Founding Member

Does the fact that Kawasaki hasn't made a profit from their motorcycle division for at least a decade have anything to do with this?
hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 03:32 AM   #25
evilgenius
Founding Member

Maybe for '02 they'll turn a profit - if they can sell bikes like the '02 636cc Ninja ZX-6R. 636cc you ask? Check out www.motorcyclenews.com for the supposedly official photo of the 636cc "big bore 600" '02 ZX-6R. Looks identical to the '01 model except for the 636 moniker. Fake or real? You be the judge...
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:22 AM   #26
Philbiker
Founding Member

Actually, the Vulcan 1500 Classic, Kawasaki's top seller, is downright prolific. I see them all over the place, more than Honda, not quite as much as Yamaha (those darn V-Stars are everywhere!). It's the Suzuki cruisers that are rare. And for good reason - they're extremely ugly!
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:25 AM   #27
gixxer
Founding Member

Does that mean Kawasaki is pulling out of the Supersports racing?! Cause 636 c.c. will definitely not be allowed, right?!
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:37 AM   #28
Philbiker
Founding Member

"Actually, the only new model that _has_ done really well in recent years is the ZRX. "

The Vulcan 1500 Classic, particularly the FI model, does quite well. My local Kaw dealer sells them as soon as they can get them. The 6R was declared best 600 just last year, and they still sell. Also, there are enough smart riders out there to consistently move 9Rs. Not "hot" like the competition, but it's a smart bike much like the VFR that has a good steady clientelle. The ZR7 is headed in this direction and should bury the Nighthawk in another small market.

The Concourse and Voyager are both slow but steady sellers. I would be surprised if the also ancient ST100 outsells the Concours. Also, though the Voyager numbers are low, dealers have no problem moving them. The bang for the buck and long term reliability on these models is untouchable in the industry, and people looking in these genres know it.

And I think it's too early to call the Mean Streak a "failure". I've seen it on the showroom parked next to the VTX and I'll tell you, it looks 20 times better than Honda's bike. (particularly the seamless tank and great looking pipes) And looks count a LOT for cruisers. Also, if you sit on it and hold it up it feels like it weighs half of what the ungainly 1800 honda tips the scales at. I predict strong sales.

I feel sorry for dealers selling the ZX-11, ZX-7 though. The W650 needs to lose the gas tank seam, I think it's doing OK though. Early reports are that the Bonneville is living up to it's age old reputation seeping oil at the rear base of the cylinders.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 05:07 AM   #29
evilgenius
Founding Member

Good question, I believe a 636cc ZX-6R would not qualify for the AMA 600 Supersport or World Supersport, unless there's a rule change (or loophole) happening that we're not aware of yet?

That wouldn't make sense to me for Kawasaki to pull out of Supersport classes given that E. Bostrom and Kawasaki pretty much have the 600 title locked up - unless E. Bostrom crashes or DNFs.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:38 AM   #30
evilgenius
Founding Member

Check out the 2002 ZX-9R at www.motorcyclenews.com. Doesn't look like it has any Suzuki parts on it yet...ahh shucks!

Not much info was given, but you can notice some changes - nothing revolutionary. I was expecting a totally new ZX-9R or even ZX-10R (or whatever K would call a 1000cc Ninja) to take on the new R1 coming as well as the updated (or new) CBR 9xxRR and the big Gixxer.

A totally new CBR after just 2 years seems highly unlikely from Honda, but they may have a trick or two up their sleeve.