Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-29-2001, 01:30 PM   #11
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki and Kawasaki to join forces

As someone who loves Kawasakis and dislikes Suzukis, I can tell you *I'm* choking right now.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 04:06 PM   #12
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default suz/kaw

Probably has something to do with the development of off-road motocrossers and emissions. The new generation 4stroke mx'rs must cost a fortune to design.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:38 PM   #13
Haru
Founding Member

WHAT?? Do you even know anything about the Indian two wheeler market, man? All of the 4 japanese brands penetrated the Indian market in the mid 80s. The biggest two wheeler player there is Bajaj. All of the motorcycles made by Bajaj are Kawasakis and are sold under the Kawasaki-Bajaj brand name. The biggest motorcycle brand names in India are Honda and Yamaha. Suzuki is also there as TVS-Suzuki.

sure, they make cheap little bikes since that is all we can afford back home (here I ride a ZX-12R), but they're all there. Make a dent? they own the motorcycle market. They destroyed the brands that were common before, i.e. enfield, Jawa, Rajdoot.

Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 04:59 PM   #14
jmeyn
Founding Member

O.K, I guess they're purpose made for the Indian market, then. All the bikes I saw there looked uniquely Indian to me. I was told they were built (at least assembled) in India, for India under Indian regulations. Wrong?

The Japanese changed everything quick, didn't they?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:05 PM   #15
poopypants
Founding Member

Is it just me, or does Kawasaki seem to be a bit stale in the new bike department. This may be somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand, or maybe not. If you look at Kawasaki's 2001 lineup, you'll notice that bikes like the KLR, Concours, Voyager, 250 Ninja, EX500, ZX-7, ZX-11, and Vulcan 750, are for the most part, unchanged since the 80's and 90's, save for some minor details and cosmetics. All these are great bikes, but not exactly modern marvels.

Could this be the reason for the company's slumping sales? I don't know, but Kawasaki has'nt exactly been flooding the market with new models.
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:06 PM   #16
Haru
Founding Member

There are no regulations. THe bikes are made in India, yes, but they are the same models designed and manufactured in Japan for the japanese and east asian markets like Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philipines etc.

since the mid 80s, the designs have been superficially altered to the market, but fundamentally, they are Japanese bikes. Scooters are different prospect. Those are mostly completely Indian is design and engineering, with the exception of a couple of Honda models, and a Vespa.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:11 PM   #17
ORS111
Founding Member

IN THE SPORT BIKE MARKET, I FEEL THAT BOTH CAN HOLD THIER OWN, AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO AS LONG AS THEY KEEP GOING FASTER ...

BUT IN THE CRUSER AND TOURING MARKET, THE END IS IN SIGHT FOR BOTH BIKES. I RIDE A KAWASAKI NOMAD FI -- IT IS A VERY GOOD BIKE -- BUT WHEN HARLEY FINALLY DOES AWAY WITH ITS PUSH ROD MOTOR AND PUTS THE OVER HEAD CAM - WATER COLLED MOTOR , THEY WILL DOMINATE THE MARKET COMPLETELY...
ORS111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:00 PM   #18
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

I'm choking on corporate doublespeak and obfuscation here. Are Suzuki and Kawasaki merging? Is Suzuki buying Kawasaki outright? Is this a Toyota Corolla/Geo Prizm kind of shell game? (How on Earth are they ever going to come up with a combined white/blue/green/purple paint scheme that doesn't clash like crazy?)

Kawasaki's been in noticeably deep trouble on the product front lately, but I'm not sure how a tie-up with Suzuki is going to solve those problems. Hopefully it won't mess up the racing programs in the process.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:31 PM   #19
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Ironically, Harley-Davidson isn't what's hurting the Vulcan and Intruder lines. Even with the V-Rod, you'll see plenty of Japanese cruisers on the road.

The problem is, all of them are Honda or Yamaha. Kawasaki and Suzuki cruisers are very rare in my not-so-scientific research.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:37 PM   #20
starvingstudent
Founding Member

They could be very disgruntled by the "failures" of the ZX-6R, 9R, and 12R (all very good bikes but treated harshly by the mags), the crippling of W650 sales by the Bonneville 800 (the W had a waiting list in my town in its first year; now they are wasting on the showroom floors), the SV squashing ZR sales, and now the Mean Streak looking like it won't sell. Actually, the only new model that _has_ done really well in recent years is the ZRX.

I'd be pretty discouraged if I was in Kawasaki's shoes, too.