Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-29-2001, 06:55 AM   #1
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop what you are doing!

Hey, I just realized something. If you had a dual purpose bike and drove it across a "roadless area" in violation of some law, then how could the forest rangers catch you? It's not like they ride motocross bikes or anything.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 07:04 AM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Mr. Brick,

You MIGHT get away, but all you would be accomplishing, is to further damage the reputation of OHV users. The BLM and motorcyclists have a love/hate relationship already. We need all the support we can get, from rangers, land managers, etc... Pissing them off is highly counter-productive.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:51 AM   #3
83XLH1000
Registered Member

Thanks for alerting me to the existance of the forum on this issue. I happen to believe that these lands should remain "roadless" and off-limits to OHV users. I believe this not because I hate the vehicles themselves, which most times and most places CAN be used responsibly. I feel this way because the people I observe pursuing this activity are some of the most thoughtless and careless individuals I have ever seen. They do not deserve to "use" this land in any way. Its unfortunate that responsible users cannot be separated from the rest. When these people start to think about what they do, perhaps I'll change my opinion (and even join the AMA). Until then...
83XLH1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
pushkin_9
Founding Member

Default This is a Lumber and Mining Blue ribbon panel NOT an ORV

Guys did you read the letter they want you to send carefully?

1) any land that had a road on it they wanted dropped from protection under this statute.

2)It was really focused on making sure that the Local control could choose where it needed to cut down trees.

I'm all for off road motorcycle routes...god nothing is more fun than a power slide or two, but these guys aren't here for motorcyclists...these guys are here for the lumber and mining interests....go join and donate to the AMA instead.

Be a smart conservative NOT a big business lackey...make sure they protect the land so that we can roost on it, and not open it up for the suits to ravage and pillage.
pushkin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 03:15 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

As a 32 year off-road rider, I have seen a lot go one, and I have to agree with you. It used to be that off roading was a refreshing trip through a small single track trail that barely intruded upon the environment we crossed. The current crop of off-roaders seem to exist only the for height of their jump, the deepness of the mudhole they create, and the amount of dirt they can displace.

I lay much of the blame on the release of ATVs (not off-road motorcycles) into the American market. These monstrosities have allowed an onslaught of idiots into the woods and deserts.

I will continue to do what I can to keep public riding areas open, but, due to our own perception and attitude problems, I really don't hold much hope.

Pete P.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:45 AM   #6
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Okay, then by the same standard, we should let the government outlaw motorcycles on the street, because every sunny day, people on motorcycles can be seen cutting people off in traffic, annoying everyone with loud pipes, and being a general nuissance. Damn things are hard to see out your rear view mirror, too. Ban 'em to special use areas only. I ride street bikes and dirt bikes, and we all have a lot to do in trying to convice the morons making a nuissance on the street and on the dirt to stop being morons. Let's not stab each other in the backs, eh?
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 05:46 AM   #7
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: This is a Lumber and Mining Blue ribbon panel NOT an ORV

Please look up what the Blue Ribbon guys are doing before you judge it this way.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:32 AM   #8
farfeldinger
Founding Member

At least being a doofus on the street doesn't destroy the great outdoors. Not that I sanction being a doofus on the street, that is.
farfeldinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:35 AM   #9
farfeldinger
Founding Member

Default Re: This is a Lumber and Mining Blue ribbon panel NOT an ORV

I read the default text of the form letter and decided not to post anything. Say it in your own words, don't be a mouthpiece for the timber and mining barons.
farfeldinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:47 PM   #10
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Why is it that when serious people are proposing laws that affect those of us who use our bikes for transportation we hear nothing, but now I'm supposed to stop what I'm doing. No one here asked me to stop what I'm doing because of proposed legislation to prevent users from modifying anything on their motorcycles. Do you guys really just want to see motorcycles relegated to the status of toys only?
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote