Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-25-2000, 02:05 PM   #1
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Feedback for Zen and the Art

This book is a real classic. If you haven't read it, do it. If you don't like it, do it again. Our civilization is loosing what counts. That's what this book is about. I've read it twice. Think it's time to do it again.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2000, 02:06 PM   #2
Vlad
Registered Member

My God, a spelling error. I shall commit seppuku. (Did I spell that right?)
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 02:51 PM   #3
IceWorm
Registered Member

Jesus, you say a bit slower to get going? Is that possible? I question the quality of that critique.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 03:07 PM   #4
FrankS
Founding Member

It seems interesting to me that two of the best books that have motorcycles in them are Zen and.. and Jupiter''s Travels. In both cases, they'd be first rate, absorbing books, even if the people were travelling by roller skates or ultralights. The specific means of transportation just isn't as significant as the interactions with the people.

Well, all right, I admit that a book titled Zen and the Art of Roller Blade Wheel Repair wouldn''t sell many copies.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 07:18 PM   #5
Yamakazi
Founding Member

To follow up on the secondary human character in the book and Pirsig's real-life son ,Chris . Was He killed in the last 5-10 years . I vaguely remember hearing something about that on the news. Anybody know?
Yamakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 07:44 PM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

I read this book as an 18 year old, the summer I bought my first motorcycle and before I enlisted in the Marine Corps.

It's a good first step in a man's search for meaning- I say man's because the book has a distinctly male voice. It has much to say, and gives the reader much to digest, in spite of the above anonymous poster's valid critique noting the book's tendency to ramble.

I like the book because, while it faults much of our culture's values, it still tresures the good things it produces, be it western culture's dedication to reason and detail or that best of all good things, the motorcycle.

I never could figure out what kind of bike he had- was it a BSA? Triumph? He describes it as a twin-cylinder bike with about 28 horsepower, but never states the make, even though he mentions another character's BMW R60. That always bothered me, for some reason.

But this is a book to be read. I pity those who haven't read it, and mistrust those whose's lives were not, in some way, affected by it.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 09:29 PM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Yes! He was murdered in San Francisco in 1979. I ride past the spot where he was killed quite frequently (Page and Laguna streets) and think about the book.

Old 10-25-2000, 09:33 PM   #8
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Pirsig's bike

OK, I answered my own question with a little surfing. Here's a picture of Pirsig and son aboard their bike, a '64 Honda CB77 Superhawk 305.

http://www.honda305.com/cb77_600/cb77-605.htm

Old 10-26-2000, 02:01 AM   #9
Vinnie
Founding Member

Default Re: Zen and the Art

Only on Motorcycle Online! What a hang-out!!!

It's like the old coffee house, now.

I read this book what seems like eons ago. Enjoyed much of it, although like many folks here, I found it tedious and rough-going at times. There seems to be a little bit of something there for many different types of people. I remember mostly his passages about teaching others how to write and look at a given moment. But really, have we become disconnected from the zen of life because we can not fix the things we own? The nature of genius still remains elusive. He questions our disconnection with life as humans and shows us ways to re-connect .

I remember images from the back of a motorcycle: sunset and the red winged-tipped blackbirds hovering over marsh grasses.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 02:06 AM   #10
IceWorm
Registered Member

Interesting Marc. I have a different take on the importance of quality. I really don't think Pirsig wanted the reader to spend too much time contemplating the concept of quality. That concept was just a tool he used, something that we take for granted that a person predisposed to insanity could latch on to and obsess over to the point of loosing touch with reality. He could have just as easily built the obsession around regret, or character.

Another interesting thing about this book is that you understand while reading that it was written in a different era. At one point in the story it is time for an oil change in the motorcycle. This is an early sixties Honda so there is no filter to deal with, no fairing to remove. Just unscrew the drain plug and dump the oil on the ground, screw in the plug and pour in more oil. No one would confuse this book with Silent Spring!
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote