Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-26-2000, 05:21 AM   #11
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Feedback for Zen and the Art

I disagree. Zen and the Art is not about riding itself. Riding is fun; people love to do it. It's about the necessary side-things to what we love. Fixing a bike (and finishing the project) so that you can ride it; maintaining a relationship with someone through hard times. Remember his chautauqua on gumption traps--I think that was one of the most important in the book.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2000, 05:46 AM   #12
Vinnie
Founding Member

What an awful thing. What a tragic end.

If you feel like it, I would like to hear what where the circumstances. Not just out of morbid curiosity, but I wonder what his life was like.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 05:49 AM   #13
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

Ehh. The first third of the book where Pirsig sticks to talking about motorcycles is very good, but then he starts babbling a bunch of pseudo-intellectual philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

If you want to read a _really_ good book about motorcycling, try One Man Caravan by Fulton.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/onlin...w/fultrevw.htm
Old 10-26-2000, 07:22 AM   #14
IceWorm
Registered Member

I agree. Pirsig's book has way too many words on each page.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 07:31 AM   #15
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Zen and the Art of Total Boredom

Love a good read, but didn't feel this was it. Was so boring and pointless, couldn't get halfway through it. True, there are those that can't finish the articles in The Enquirer without help, but I'm not one of them, and I still think the book sucks. I would rather LIVE life, than sit around thinking about it. I think the guy was still psycho while he wrote it. You want a good motorcycle-related read? Try getting Motocourse every year, as I have since '83. Technical articles about the equipment and rules, excellent photography, all the results from all the roadracing across the world, and very well written to boot. Enjoy!
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 07:37 AM   #16
Velociraptor
Registered Member

One of the best books I've ever read, and one which helped me understand more about what makes people tick. I bought this book in high school, thinking it would be a fun book but was surprised to find something much deeper-too deep at the time. I picked the book up again in college and was fascinated by it. That copy is old and tattered with page after page marked with fading yellow highlighter. I took a couple of philosphy classes in college and ZAMM seem less philosophical and more personal in comparison. Wondeful book.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 08:00 AM   #17
Selden
Founding Member

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance when it was first published, and I lived in semi-hippie status on the Monterey Peninsula. I have re-read the book several times since, and have gotten something new from it with each new reading. Some of the philosophical parts get tedious, but overall it is a treasure, worth coming back to again and again. A good book to take along on a long vacation ride.

The only work that comes close to Zen is Rebuilding the Indian, by Fred Haefele, which addresses some similar themes, but without Pirsig's philosophical baggage.
Selden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 08:05 AM   #18
IceWorm
Registered Member

One thing you have to understand here is that women are smarter than men. That includes girlfriends, wives and ex-wives. Your ex-wife dislikes your entrails and it is her most fervent desire that you never climb out of that piss hole that you call a life. She knows that reading Zen would enlighten you and therefore suggested you do so knowing full well the mere suggestion from her would seal off the possibility of health and happiness for you in the future.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 09:01 AM   #19
Gabe
Registered Member

All I know is that he was an art student, and he was stabbed. I don't think they ever found the killer(s).

There's more stuff about Chris in Pirsig's follow-up book, Lila. It's equally weird and depressing, but not as meaningful or lucid.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 09:46 AM   #20
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: Zen and the Art of Total Boredom

Huh? One thing I've noticed over the years about philosyphers: they are all underachievers. No one looks at an amazing bridge or building, and says: Wow, what a wonderful bridge, I'll bet a philosypher built that. It seems more a pastime for those that would ponder, rather than do. Those that live life would rather see the BIG PICTURE, rather than exaine the insignificant details. Whatever floats your boat. I'll tell you how my ride was, and you can tell me how you think a ride should be, and what it means to the universe.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote