Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-02-2001, 11:01 AM   #1
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

How do I get a job test-riding bikes?

First post!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2001, 11:02 AM   #2
panthercity
Founding Member

From lookin' at the chart I've got one question. Did the V-rod throw a rod at 9 grand?
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:07 AM   #3
das
Founding Member

You should also throw a Hayabusa or a ZX-12 in the test, too. It'll help people keep these power levels in perspective, and it'll certainly liven things up in the reader feedback.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:22 AM   #4
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I think comparing apples to apples is a good way to go...

Besides, throwing the V-Max into the mix is a good way to keep things in perspective. Remember that it was THE drag bike for a long time, and it's still pretty damned fast.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:22 AM   #5
Gecko
Founding Member

I'm guessing rev-limiter
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:33 PM   #6
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Wow, that Honda VTX is a porker! I've read several articles about the VTX, and I just never realized that it's a 705 lb bike. That's why comparisons like this are so valuable. During individual bike tests, sometimes a bikes shortcommings get glossed over a little bit - especially if a bike has other redeeming qualities. But, when you stack the numbers up against other bikes in the class, there's no where to hide!
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 02:21 PM   #7
HANKWANG007
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

Why is V-Max even on this issue??? Isn't v-max a V4 not a V-twin, seat height is over 30 in. compared to the Honda's 27 in. and H-D's 26 in.

I always thought the V Max is just a over-powered, poor handling and old looking sportbike, not a cruiser!

If you are looking for the best power-cruiser package Between the V-Rod and VTX,

I score them as follows

POWER-------- VRod ---9 , VTX ---8 , 1800cc should make more torque than 1130cc, but not less horsepower.

Handling------- VRod ---9 , VTX ---7 , 110 more pounds and less ground clearance, need I say more?

Comfort------- VRod ---8 , VTX ---9 , Ok, VTX has better seat and riding position.

Styling-------- VRod ---10 , VTX ---7 , The Ugly seam on the bottom of VTX's tank, what was Honda thinking? No comparison to V-Rod's Unique set up.

Drivetrain----- VRod ---9 , VTX ---8 , Shaft drive on VTX with driveline lash, to V-Rod's smooth belt.

Value----- VRod ---8 , VTX ---9 , I happen to think the $4,500 more in MSRP for the V-Rod is well worth it!

Total VRod ---53 pts , VTX ---48 pts

V-Rod
HANKWANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 02:48 PM   #8
doohan
Founding Member

Yikes...the VTX is not impressing me at all with the hard numbers. Hey Honda...I think you better call Houston....you have a problem.
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 03:21 PM   #9
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

Have you ridden them both? If not you might at least want to reserve your handling score. No doubt the HD will handle better, maybe by a bigger margin than that.

The V-Max is not a cruiser, or sport bike, or anything like that. It's a musclebike, a type of standard. And there's no such thing as overpowered.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 08:34 PM   #10
nome
Founding Member

just looking at the dyno chart it would seem that neither the v-rod or v-max belong here. The power comes on so high up in the rev range it would make me think you got to be going pretty fast to feel it! I'm a Harley guy and love the low end torque of my twin cam 88. And I may go up to the 95 ci, only time and money will tell. But really fuel economy should also figure in as cruisers also double as short distance turing bikes, or at least mine does. I get in the mid forties but if I really go slow can get more. this may seem like a small thing to the younger guys out there but it all adds to the experience, good or bad. But to me the cruiser is about low end grunt, the thing you feel right off idle. So the Honda is right on I would prefer a belt drive and a bit less weight still I would like to ride one just to feel it at 3200 rpm! I think the stage I plus a few cubes would give me about 78 or so foot pounds at the wheel, plus my superglide weighs about 90lbs less, so cool!
nome is offline   Reply With Quote