Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-04-2001, 05:59 AM   #61
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: Only REAL cruiser here is VTX

Frankly, I don't know why the Max and the V-rod are in this comparison, neither of them are cruisers. While the V-Max is a very fast and powerful bike, it's not a cruiser. It's a muscle bike in a class of it's own. Harley may call the V-rod a cruiser, people may think it's a cruiser, but it's not a cruiser. I don't know what the he11 it is. It looks like deranged Beema, dipped in chrome, and pumped up on steroids. It's pitifully ugly and someone forgot to tell Harley that cruisers aren't supposed to have high RPM engines. Cruisers are all about TORQUE, and the V-rod aint got any!

Now if they want to compare apples to apples, they'll compare the VTX, Valk, Road Warrior, Mean Streak, Intruder, and Harley twin cam.
Grampi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2001, 06:07 AM   #62
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX not impressive? Better look again

We are talking about cruisers here (if you can even call the V-rod a cruiser). If I wanted a bike with a high RPM blender motor, I'd buy a sport bike. TORQUE is what matters with a cruiser, and the V-rod aint got it. Yes, the VTX is very impressive, it's the V-rod that isn't.
Old 08-04-2001, 06:13 AM   #63
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: Pulling 10K over MSRP isn't success........

.......it's offering Joe public the best motorcycle at a reasonable price. Honda's been doing this for years. All Harley knows how to do is keep dishing out their underengineered pieces of crap at their price-gouging prices. And they'll just keep doing it until their status seeking customers finally see the light and stop buying them.
Old 08-04-2001, 06:24 AM   #64
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX not backed by performance? Please!

Have you read any of the articles on the VTX? It wreaks performance. It has set the performance standard for power cruisers. Name one cruiser, besides the Valk or Magna, that even comes close in terms of performance. Don't you dare mention the V-Max or V-rod. They aren't cruisers. The V-Max is a muscle bike in a class of it's own, and I have no idea what the he11 the V-rod is, but it aint a cruiser. Cruisers don't have high RPM motors. Cruisers are all about TORQUE, and the V-rod is sorely lacking in this department. The VTX is backed by pleanty of performance.
Old 08-04-2001, 06:52 AM   #65
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: Future of V-Max and other ramblings...

I've been hearing that next year will be the last for the Max for a few years now, and it keeps coming back. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Actually, 1985 was the last year for V-65's.

The V-rod's engine may be impressive for a twin, but a high revving engine doesn't belong in a cruiser. In fact, because of its high RPM engine, the V-rod isn't really a cruiser. I haven't quite figured out what it is. If you don't believe this, take a look at all of the other cruisers. Almost all of them are V twins that make their power below 6 grand. This is a cruiser, low RPM torque, not high RPM HP. Honda has shattered all the performance figures in the cruiser world with the low RPM torque monster VTX. You'll notice they didn't resort to a blender motor to get their desired performance.

I don't think Harley has snuck by the Japanese cruisers with the V-rod. They may have created another class of motorcycle, but it's not a cruiser. True cruiser enthusiasts won't be attracted to the V-rod, we don't like blender motors. We like low RPM torque, and here, the V-rod doesn't deliver.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:16 AM   #66
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX is still the biggest and baddest

The V-Max isn't a cruiser. It's fast and powerful, but it's a muscle bike in it's own class. I don't know what the he11 the V-rod is, but it isn't a cruiser either. Cruisers don't have 9,000 RPM engines. Cruisers are all about low RPM torque, and the VTX is king! Let's compare apples to apples here.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:23 AM   #67
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

I understand the 1800 Valk is due out soon. Though it will probably slightly outperform the VTX, it certainly won't trailer it. There are just too many of us who have been waiting for a high performance v twin cruiser, and the VTX fills that bill.

A Harley for less than 10 grand? What are you smokin'? It must be good, can I try some?
Old 08-04-2001, 07:32 AM   #68
Grampi
Founding Member

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I used to own a V-Max. I've test ridden two VTX's. The only thing the Max does better is accelerate. The Max has no business being compared to the VTX anyway. It's not a cruiser. It's a muscle bike in it's own class. If you're looking for the top fuel funny car of motorcycles, the V-Max is the choice. If you're looking for a true cruiser (the V-rod isn't really a cruiser either) with balls and comfort, the VTX rules!
Old 08-04-2001, 07:34 AM   #69
Grampi
Founding Member

1985 was the last year for the V-65.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:31 AM   #70
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Taken from the back of July 2001 Motorcyclist:

V-Max - 10.87

YZF-R6 - 11.23

GSX-R600 - 10.80

CBR600F4 - 11.61

ZX-6 - 11.38

TT600 (Triumph) - 11.23

So actually, the only current supersport 600 that beats the V-Max is the Suzuki by .07 of a second. However, in the real world, without the advantage of multiple runs, the V-Max will kill these things. And if the 600 rider doesn't get a perfect start it won't even be close.

That's what's nice about V-Maxes, V-65's, big Bandits and ZRX's, there's power and torque everywhere in the RPM range, not just above 10,000 RPM. I'd bet on any of these bikes ridden by a regular guy (not an accomplished racer) to beat any 600 in a straight line every time.

Not to mention in a race like most street races happen, where two riders are both moving and then they kinda look at each other and decide to go for it, the 600 would get absolutely killed by any of the previously mentioned big displacement bikes.

For me at least, on a street bike roll-on acceleration is what matters, not from a standing start. I once had a Nighthawk S, and now have an SV650, bikes with about the same quarter mile time, but WAY different power delivery. The Nighthawk screamed on the top end but was pretty tame at lower RPM, while the SV pulls everywhere regardless of RPM - much better street-usable power. The SV650 is quicker than supersport 600's in 60-80 MPH top gear roll-ons.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote