Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-03-2001, 01:34 PM   #51
firstkitcarson
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

How does one go about disabling the rev limiter? I've heard of chips for Harleys to get more horsepower, will there be something available for the VTX?
firstkitcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2001, 02:28 PM   #52
TurboS-10
Founding Member

I am a Sport Bike Rider and Have been for a long time, I have nothing say about any bikes short commings, to each his own I say. But for the record didn't HD have Porsche Design the new engine? Just asking.
TurboS-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 02:29 PM   #53
max-9
Founding Member

im so happy to see my v-max get some more attention . seems the v-max gets in almost all motorcycle discussions ,ive seen it compared to many bike types but it really doesnt belong to any one group . ive owned a cruiser and the v-max really isnt a cruiser ,ive owned a standard streetbike and its really not a standard , ive rode a racebike and its not that either . the v-max is a stand alone type ,best described as a musclebike mainly because it is gonna make you use your muscles , its a lot like riding on the back of a hyperactive wild bull , i happen to like that kinda ride . but make your comparison to the cruisers anyway ,it should be interesting to compare a hyperactive wild bull against sleepy hippos
max-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:31 PM   #54
UBILAZ
Founding Member

Look at the Torque numbers though too. Whilst the VTX doesn't have the impressive HP to tell your friends about. It does seem to be able to produce a nice horizontal torque line. COURSE IT NEEDS IT TO GET OUTA FIRST GEAR with all 700+pounds. I'll have to wait around and see the other, "Good lucking" Yamaha.
UBILAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 04:52 PM   #55
john
Founding Member

Actually, the bottom of the line confederates start out at like 17 grand, but this is with the small S&S evo motor.

If you want the 120 inch Merch motor (dont listen to people who say it is unreliable, it just needs to be broken carefully, for 2,000 miles) it will cost you 25 - 28 grand. This gets you about 115 hp and 120 ft-lbs, with an inverted paoli 50mm front fork, a monoshock rear suspension (sportbike style) marchesini rims (superlight, supertrick rims for all you who dont keep up with performance stuff) and a truly unique and rigid chassis.

Yes, it does cost more, but it is also the king of the hill IMO. More torque than a VTX, more HP than a Vmax, handles better than all of them thanks to its 500 LB DRY WEIGHT
Old 08-03-2001, 04:53 PM   #56
john
Founding Member

I meant broken IN carefully, ahem.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:25 PM   #57
Grampi
Founding Member

Whose idea was it to compare these three bikes anyway? Talk about comparing apples to potatos? The only REAL cruiser in the bunch is the VTX. The V-Max, though very fast and powerful, isn't a cruiser. It's a muscle bike and it's in a class of it's own. I don't know what the he!! the V-Rod is. Harley may be calling it a cruiser, people may think it's a cruiser, but it isn't a cruiser. It looks more like a deranged Beema dipped in chrome and pumped up with steriods. I'm sorry, but this thing is pitifully ugly, and someone forgot to tell Harley that high RPM engines don't belong in cruisers. Cruisers are all about TORQUE, and this thing aint got any!

Now, when they want to get serious and start comparing apples to apples, let's see a shootout between a VTX, Valk, Road Warrior, Mean Streak, Intruder, and a Harley twin cam. These bikes are comparable.

Grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 12:20 AM   #58
nome
Founding Member

Default Re: WHERE IS THE VALKYRIE?!

I agree with you Shawn, when I went looking for a cruiser the Valkyrie toped the list. Lots of things about the bike interested me, first was that though it looked great in a traditional way but didn't try to look like a Harley or Indian. Secondly was the warranty and third was the price. Now the problem was it was a new 99 model for sale in 2001, not a good thing if your planning on selling it later on. Now I know this shouldn't matter but I have been stuck with good but unpopular autos in the past and now consider resale upon purchasing , because like it or not that is in the end part of the price you pay and many good bikes go up for sale long before payoff. And I got online and read what owners said about it.

Cruisers it seems to me can't be judged by sport bike riders, the criteria are just so different. I mean you go out with some friends with your wife on back and ride for six hours, stopping along the way enjoying the day. And I read comments like the V-max smoking something or other through the curves, incredible! I like the Goldwing, and might get one but I also like the RoadKing, who knows but I won't be racing either, though my Superglide may get so added ponies but that's just for the fun of it and nothing that would hurt my miliage too much.

nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 04:18 AM   #59
calnlaura
Founding Member

Most cruiser riders would cringe at the numbers anyway and dismiss them. Most of them dont understand the difference and they dont care. Too bad.
calnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 05:44 AM   #60
Grampi
Founding Member

Why is the VTX's shaft a drawback for you? Shaft drive is the only way to go on a cruiser! Belt drive is almost as much of a pain the a$$ as chain drive is.
Grampi is offline   Reply With Quote