Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-03-2001, 07:22 AM   #31
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: WHERE IS THE VALKYRIE?!

Not to fret, my friend! I have it on pretty good authority that an all-new Valkyrie will be introduced for '02 at the Dealer show in Sept. This bike will have the aluminum frame of the GoldWing and a hot-rodded 1800cc flat-6 engine. Buy stock in Dunlop now...'cuz I smell burning rubber.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2001, 07:56 AM   #32
VegasShawn
Founding Member

Default Re: WHERE IS THE VALKYRIE?!

There's all sorts of rumors going around about the Valkyrie. I've heard them all. I hope that happens. That seems to be the consensus of what everyone thinks. Take the Goldwing and make a cruiser out of it, just like the current Valkyrie. It's just kinda weird to see the press ignoring the current Valkyrie in their comparison tests? Is the Valk too old now?!
VegasShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:00 AM   #33
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

Not to mention there's no way a V-Max is going to keep up with a current (2-3 years old) 600ss bike in the twisties. I don't know what that guy was thinking. (Of course I'm talking about with riders of equal skill. Because we all know that a pro rider could probably whip most, regardless of what either one is riding.)
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:17 AM   #34
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Looks like the VTX has the advantage down where most people do the greatest part of their riding (low to mid RPM). But criminy, 750 pounds?

And where would Yamaha be right now had they put the V-Max engine in the Royal Star in the first place, instead of the boat anchor they're using now?

And by the way, people who say the Valkyrie should have been included are right.

So when are we going to see:

1) A Valkyrie with the new 1800 engine? It would put the VTX on the trailer the day it came out.

2) A Royal Star with a big-bore engine tuned to V-Max specs?

3) A Hayabusa engined cruiser? Remember the GS1100 L? I thought that was a cool bike, and even back in the day it would run with the new V-Rod and the VTX at the drag strip.

4) A Harley that makes good power, doesn't vibrate like a jackhammer, and sells for less than 10 grand? The V-rod is way cool, but how about a new Sportster with some of that tasty technology?
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:26 AM   #35
drandall
Founding Member

The decades-old VMax whips everybody! Baaaaah! And, probably out-handles them all too.

This is beautiful; anyone who buys any of the newer power cruisers is getting completely ripped-off, when perfect used, and discounted new, VMaxes await the intelligent buyer. It's so good to see that irony still has it's place in the world

Yamaha, how 'bout updating your beast already?
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:36 AM   #36
snipepod
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

First off, I am proud of what Harley has done with the V-rod, It is nice to see an American company exhibit that type of leadership. Second, I have seen a VTX, it is a boat anchor. Does it make sense to build a 1800cc motor just to move an extra 100plus pounds of boat anchor at a slower speed? I have and still do, own Jap bikes, but I have never had the pride of ownership that I currently do with my BMW R1150. I think that is what you get with bikes like Harley, Guzzi, Beemers and Ducks, and will never get with a Jap bike. But to each there own. The Harley V-Rod locked up this comparison hands down. To bad the BMW R1200c was not included. If you want handling and sophistication, the BMW is the target they all should be aiming at.
snipepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 09:06 AM   #37
BlueElf
Founding Member

I traded a Y2K Suzuki Intruder 1400 (with 17K miles) for a new VTX in June and I've also owned a V-Max several years ago. I've read all the comments above and find most of them amusing. I find the VTX to be overall superior to the V-Max this meaning that it 'Handles Better' and is more 'Enjoyable' to ride. While it is not as good in tight twisties as my prior Intruder was (no even close) it is comparable to and better than most long wheel based cruisers on mountain roads. As far as the weight, well .... yes its specs do say its a monster but ... if you haven't got on one and tried the VTX for yourself, you would not believe how balanced, light and quick responding the bike feels. It is really hard to believe the bike is that heavy after riding one. I have not and probably will not get the opportunity to try out a V-Rod but its design and specs do indicate that it will be a comparable machine; however, their power and torque ranges and engine operating designs means that both the VTX and V-Rod will have to be driven quite differently to really enjoy the attributes that both bikes have. Since I still prefer to ride Cruisers that have big torque and low rpm power range (Under 6K), I will take my VTX for the moment ... if either the Mean-Streak or Warrior give better overall performance within the preferences that I like ... well I may trade over to one of those road horses but currently in my opinion ... Honda's VTX gives the best overall enjoyment for the money.
BlueElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 10:16 AM   #38
HarleyGuyinYork
Founding Member

Now, behave! I work at the York plant and value my 401K! 25K for a V-Rod? I can believe it. Look at what dealers did with the Beetle and the PT Cruiser at introduction. You couldnt touch one of them for MSRP. Don't get me wrong, I don't like what Harley dealers do with prices but, if people want the newest toys, they will undoubtable pay for them. One day when we can build enough that every dealer has inventory, I hope people remember the dealers that gouged them 2-3K over MSRP and buy elsewhere.
HarleyGuyinYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 10:25 AM   #39
Jerry-Rigged
Founding Member

Default Honda vs. Hardley

That will be the day Honda has a problem compared to any Yugo-Davidson. Me thinks you be a bit premature in you presumption of success of the V-Rod. They soup up and race Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines, doesn't mean they are any good. That's all this new Hardley is, a souped up lawnmower.
Jerry-Rigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 10:39 AM   #40
donzi
Founding Member

I got $100.00 down on a V-Rod and it is at list price. Not sure if I am going to take it. I'll decide when I see it in person.
donzi is offline   Reply With Quote