Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-03-2001, 12:27 AM   #11
jandw
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

how right you are.. the only time i even came close to revving up to 8.000 rpm, was on my 1979 1000cc goldwing, trying to establish its max speed (+/- 190 km/h on the speedo)..

some might say i have no business commenting on (power) cruisers, since i ride an r1150rt.. sorry folks, but i'll just go on reading anything about motorbikes in any of the languages i more or less understand..

oh, by the way, that goldwing is still alive and kicking, be it with a sidecar attached to it. i'd just love to hang that onto the VTX.. if i were a rich man..
jandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2001, 02:33 AM   #12
wheat
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

Hey, you can buy a VTX for MSRP. Try doin that with a V-Rod.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:15 AM   #13
GboroGoose
Founding Member

Hey Wheat - whaddya think the resale value on the two bikes is gonna be????
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:19 AM   #14
VR1000racer
Founding Member

The most interesting thing about the differences in bikes, attitudes, and markets for each:

1. V-ROD- Everyone who has one immediately

rode it strait to a dyno, to:

(A) build a pipe for it,

(B) build a stroker crank and big pistons for it,

(I'll bet Honda Jim at JE Pistons already has a

set done for the V-ROD)

(C)Jack Sparks at Carrillo is thanking the Con

Rod god.

(D) See how expensive it is going to be to get

100 ft lbs and 150 hp outa this motor!

2. Honda VTX 1800- Everyone who got one:

(A)Immediately rode to the nearest Yamaha

shop to brag about trading in their Road Star on

it! (cheap shot, but I had to!)

(B) Rode it EXACTLY 100.00 miles to confirm

the gas mileage figures

(C) Started practicing emergency right turns for

V-ROD evasion

I really don't get the VTX. I understand the appeal of a "Honda quality" cruiser, but why not back it up with performance? It seems to me that Honda, Kawasaki, (especially Kaw) and Yamaha all seem be trying to "out Harley" Harley-Davidson.

I saw a glimmer of real imagination with the Yamaha concept bike a few years ago (I hope that will be the new "Warrior") and see some interesting ideas with the Valkerie, but Kawasaki's Vulcans look so much like a Harley it's amazing.

I guess since I have to ask, it's me that doesn't get it.

Hopefully the market for all segments will continue to grow, so that I will have VTX's that make me scratch my head, V-Max's to make me turn my head, Vulcan's to make me shake my head, and V-ROD's to make me want to stroke my head!

(I had to say that!{gross!})

I am looking foreward to this year!

VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:22 AM   #15
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Ha! damn skippy! power!!! woooHoooo!!!

I agree the VMax isn't exactly a 'cruiser', but if push came to shove, it fits 'cruiser' closer than anything else, IMHO. It's still got that sit back feel, though not -quite- so back... it's definitely not a lean-forward type of deal that even a lot of the current 'super-standards' have. It weighs way too much to be part of that new S.S. breed too.

So, you have long, kinda low, kinda laid-back, kinda porky, FAT back tire (though not nearly as radical by comparison as it was when it debuted), less than stellar handling (sorry vmax guys!), and lots and lots of ATTITUDE... (some would say the key ingredient?)... and talk about individuality!

This bike has it in spades! There is no mistaking a Vmax.. by sight or by sound!

Cruiser.. or Power-Cruiser fits that mold best... but that's still kind of a stretch, I agree.

Heresy perhaps, but you can see more than a few styling cues in the Vrod from the Vmax. (flame on!! )

-James

p.s. I've longed for a Vmax for years.. I'm sad to see that Yamaha is going to kill it off.

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:23 AM   #16
GboroGoose
Founding Member

Isn't this the wonderful thing about bikes? Manufacturers & their engineers, marketing types and designers noodle together what they think is the best design for who they think is going to buy it at the time. And then the magazines and e-zines get ahold of them and nit-pick (and here we get to comment). Finally they hit the real world where all the hot air blows up against the consumer and their wallets. Then the consumer (you & I) decide how to spend what cash we can to buy something that will run 10-13 second quarters, top out over 130 (pleas, not on the streets) and all for less than a Honda Civic or Geo Sprint. Gawd, I love it. These are the good old days.
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:29 AM   #17
ronmcgill
Registered Member

Default V-rod similar to my old VR-1000

Brent,

I find it very interesting to see the dyno chart for the V-rod. It is almost identical to the original VR-1000 chart as delivered to me in 1995

I wonder if they fixed the oil pump drive system, and valve train yet? Let me know after a couple thousand miles!

Ron Mcgill
ronmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:50 AM   #18
gdbryan
Founding Member

Yeah, and maybe they ought to throw in a twin turbo 911, just to keep everything in perspective.

How about a riding lawnmower?
gdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:53 AM   #19
martyc
Founding Member

Who cares what the resale value is? I buy my bikes to ride, not to hold a blanket off of my garage floor or strap on to a trailer to haul to Sturgis!
martyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 04:01 AM   #20
sanchin
Registered Member

I'm not a cruiser fan, but I've always admired the V-Max. Even after all these years, it is the best way to get the adrenaline pumping. I know it has

questionable handling and brakes, but all the bikes in this class are more about style than performance. If the riders wanted performance, any 600 supersport will do the job at a fraction of the cost. Bravo V-Max !

sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote