Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-23-2001, 04:36 AM   #181
joe91898
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

Just put 10-1 pistons, cams, and ported / polished the heads on my 2000 V-Star 1100. Why Yamaha Sent this bike out at 52 hp/63ft-lbs tq is behond me. Here with a few simple modifications, which required no boring of the motor or any other radical changes, you get an air cooled cruiser that is alot of fun to grab hold of. Haven't dyno'd yet, but I'll bet people will be surprised on what this 1100 is capable of. I would say atleast a 50 percent gain in power. This ,BTW, is only the start of mods for this motor, there is more to come.
joe91898 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2001, 03:50 PM   #182
rouser
Founding Member

Remember the tailpipe on the VTX weighs 50lbs.

As aftermarket pipes and powercommanders get more available it'll be a long time before anything catches up with the (hehe) "Porky" Honda. For now my bone stock VTX leaves all V-twins in it's silent wake.
rouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 01:37 PM   #183
rouser
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

Sounds like you have yourself convinced. Now go put you money where your mouth is and buy one. Then go find a VTX and report back how you did.

Old 09-04-2001, 01:46 PM   #184
rouser
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

James, You hit the nail on the head. First thing I though when I saw the V-rod was hehe HD copied

the Vmax (minus 2 cylinders and alot o power) I like how they describe the under seat gas tank as "innovative" The Vmax with a 4;2;1 hindel sounds like a indy car and will leave everything behind off the line. With a corbin seat it is a very comfortable ride. To a buck and a half mine handles

fine. Far better than any Vrod. Available too. It's

listed in the class.section. My new ride is the VTX.

Not as quick or fast but I like it enough to sell the Max.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:00 PM   #185
Sirusxs
Founding Member

Gots to agree about the V-ROD Love the concept though... $23,000 suggested and wait for It and damn well like it. well, great conversation at the bar in the meantime.. and .. GEEZ maybe a second mortage?

REBUT: I am currently riding a 99 magna; "little Ugly" This 750 V4 Idles at lights at 1100 rpm's. Cobra pipes and a hot jet kit make it sound like a small block Chevy at Idle, yet It cranks up and screams through the quarter in the hi 11's low 12's (HIGH 10,500 RPM redline) in close to stock form..

burbles through stop and go traffic at 3-6000 RPM AND makes some serious TORQUE to about 125 (ANYONE GOT ANY DYNO #'S ON THIS BIKE ?) Nmpfh. Handling leaves a lot to be desired compared to sport bikes I've ridden .. but

Anyway I was invited to test a VTX last weekend at a very friendly dealership in NJ that just happened to have a "HOT" (Ready to roll out the door with just 5 miles on the odometer) one on the floor.

They warmed it up for me in the lot for about 20 minutes.

I couldn't even hear the bike idling outside the door as I chatted with the owner as it thumped through it's Howitzer sized exhaust pipe. What's interesting is that I could FEEL it through the floor and door !

So with very little urging and a few pointers as to location of controls and a warning about the linked braking system I rolled carefully out of the drive and eased down the road, past the Harley repair shop, (intentionally leaving it in second gear, hoping a fat boy would come out for dinner) I put- putted past a couple of stoplight's, getting a feel for this large bike that feels strangely small.

Looking out over the pointed art deco headlight that looks big enough to cook on there is very little doubt that this is a "Cruiser". Massive billet and chrome inverted fork front end. Big risers, pull back bars, and a decidedly feet forward riding position never let you forget for a second what the goal of this bike is .. Or so I thought until I got to a section of road where I could turn the throttle a bit, then all of a sudden.. DAMN I'M MOVIN !! this bike rolls almost like a sport bike, and surprisingly is very rigid (must be the huge frame supporting those two coffee can size 900 cc jugs) and when I wanted to get slowed down, grabbing both ends of a linked braking system (like honda's own st 1100) was like throwing out the proverbial anchor. Yuhp, It's got torque to spare for a light aircraft or two.. SOLD ...

Sirusxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:31 AM   #186
Swede2th
Founding Member

I just bought a slightly used Intruder 1400 with minor mods and low miles and am very happy. I just wish I could get more accessories. Any Ideas? Considered the VRod, VTX, and Warrior, but figured the Intruder would keep me happy while I wait for the dust to settle ... ??? VTX crank, ??? wimpy v-rod sound, ??? other bugs. I try to get vicarious satisfaction from the discussion.
Swede2th is offline   Reply With Quote