Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Open Cruisers Found on Dyno (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/780-open-cruisers-found-dyno.html)

SilverBullet 08-08-2001 10:52 AM

Re: ...bikes that appeal to the same folks

The V-Rod has changed that for sure. I know a lot of people who had never seriuosly considered buying a H-D (such as myself) that now feel strongly attracted to this bike.

I don't know if the V-Rod is better or worse than the "classic" H-D bike or if it is better or worse than the other "power cruisers", but it sure is different.

Grampi 08-08-2001 11:10 AM

Re: i dont like harleys...but they just smoked honda!!!!

Who has done a test on the V-rod? Other than the dyno chart, I haven't seen any performance figures for it. How can anyone say the V-rod smokes the VTX when nobody's even tested a PRODUCTION V-rod yet? Any numbers that you've seen for the V-rod so far have been posted with a TEST bike. There's no guarantee the production bike will perform as well as the test bike does.

Who will go for the V-rod? Probably people who have never liked Harleys in the past. Traditional Harley folks will hate it.

jimcruise 08-08-2001 11:14 AM

Re: No excuse in being so ignorant now because...

I have several friends that own Harley's and I applaud their choice even though it's not my cup of tea. You categorizing VTX owners as pretty much being stupid in their decision making and referring to it as an "appliance" lumps you in the same "bike-trashing" category in which you place Grampi. I enjoy the hell out of riding my VTX and personally see nothing in the V-Rod that would make me want to own one; still, there will be those that do and to each his own.

Grampi 08-08-2001 11:16 AM

Re: VTX not backed by performance? Please!

If you're talking crankshaft numbers, the VTX makes 106 HP and 120 ft. lbs of torque.

Grampi 08-08-2001 11:47 AM

I've read many articles where Harleys have been compared to the imports, and never have any of the Harleys faired well in any catagory, not just performance.

I'll agree the Harleys of today are built much better than those built during the AMF years, but you're talking out your a$$ if your trying to tell me they're as reliable as the imports, cause it aint so.

Don't tell me I don't know anything about bikes. I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know!

Nice try on making me out as the bad guy here. I don't hate Harleys, their riders, or anything else for that matter. I just don't care for people blowin' smoke up my butt, which some have tried doing in this forum.

LimeSqueezr 08-09-2001 03:12 AM

Grampi, you may be knowledgeable about *some* bikes, but the whole point is that you're totally ignorant about Harleys and you proved that with just one comment. I could point you to some statistics published by government bureacrats who have no bias or brand loyalty and no advertising accounts to worry about, which clearly indicate Harleys hold their own against competitors in overall reliability. But like with any bigoted mind, it's a foregone conclusion that you would find some excuse to say facts mean nothing so why bother.

Grampi 08-09-2001 08:06 AM

I may not be as knowledgeable about Harleys as I am the metrics, but I can read. I've read from many sources over the last 10-12 years, all have said Harleys are not as reliable as the imports. If you want to dispute this with the experts, be my guest. I'm just telling you what I've read. I have not read the source you've quoted, but it would be the only source out of everything I've read that backs your claims. Now quit trying to blow smoke up my backside!

CBR1000F 08-09-2001 10:55 AM

Re: 2-speed tranny? Then it would be called...

Actually, the Boss Hoss has no transmission at all. They couldn't make/find one that was light enough and would still handle the power. It just has a torque converter.

tbuse 08-09-2001 11:06 AM

Re: i dont like harleys...but they just smoked honda!!!!

For the guy who states he has never stepped into a Harley shop before, you seem to be an expert on what Harley owners want. I've owned 7 different Harleys and currently own two Triumphs. I like the basic looks of the new V-Rod, but, as usual, I'd change some things, starting with the wheels.

Personally, I don't think Harley gives a rat's patotie what you think qualifies as a cruiser. They will call it what they want & sell every one they make. You will never buy a Harley. You're not their customer base. I've talked to a number of dealers & they state that their allotment of V-Rods are already presold. Of the people I know who actually ride Harleys (instead of bad mouthing them without a clue what they're talking about) about 75% like the V-Rod; the rest hate it. Different people; different tastes.

ngall 08-09-2001 11:28 AM

Re: 2-speed tranny? Then it would be called...

Well, I was half joking about the 2 speed tranny (well, maybe 3/4 joking). The VTX is almost as absurd as the BossHoss, but I'd still call it a motorcycle. The BH barely qualifies, I think. They're cartoonish and outrageously expensive. I saw one once, and they boggle the mind. I just don't get it. I'm not sure how exactly you operate a 1200 or so pound bike. Good luck if you drop it. True, though, an automatic tranny might be appropriate on the VTX given that it is already overwieght and is all about posing. Still, there's probably no excuse for killing it off the line with that much torque that low.