Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-08-2001, 02:32 AM   #151
calnlaura
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

People that can ride mainly.
calnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2001, 02:40 AM   #152
calnlaura
Founding Member

85 was the last year for the v65 sabre not the v65 magna. have a nice day.
calnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 03:25 AM   #153
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Dead last in what, performance?

Of course they would be dead last in performance, especially before the V-Rod and even thereafter if you compare Harley to other companies' entire lines. That would be like ranking Lincoln or Cadillac among sports car marques. If you rank them among cruisers (and your own definition of that is pretty strict) then they don't do so poorly but then so what. I mean, who cares if a Toyota Avalon does 0-60 a little faster than a Grand Marquis, and who cares if an Intruder 1500 is a tad faster than a Road King? That has very little to do with why anybody buys them.

As for the reliability thing, it's largely a myth based on old wives tales going back to the days when Harley was owned by AMF. Current lemon law stats indicate Harleys haves serious problems that cannot be fixed satisfactorily LESS often than 2 of the Japanese big 4. That's not to put any of them down because ALL the major motorcycle brands sold in the US do very well in the type of reliability that really counts --much better than some cars!

If you read Harley boards you will find riders that have put 6-figure miles on their late-model Harleys without any problems, and you'll find a few that have had problems but not usually major ones. You find exactly the same thing on import boards. The reliability thing is really a NON-issue unless you're thinking about buying an Enfield Bullet or a Ural or something.

The only area where Harley comes in "dead last" is in value, if defined as the features you get at a given initial price level (less depreciation helps offset that in the long run). And that value for the money is especially poor at dealers who sell way above MSRP. But nobody has to pay that. People who pay those prices are as ignorant as the people who stay away from Harleys entirely based on misinformation and myth.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 04:47 AM   #154
trontech
Founding Member

Default i dont like harleys...but they just smoked honda!!!!

the vtx is not even close in performance, but honda will be back. thats the good thing about our market.
trontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 04:54 AM   #155
trontech
Founding Member

Default Re: Pulling 10K over MSRP isn

i saw the light...bought a kawi ninja...f*** all this panzy cruiser crap...get a real bike !!!!
trontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 06:51 AM   #156
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe Kawasaki has the right idea...

Now THAT I can agree with you on!
Old 08-08-2001, 08:02 AM   #157
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

I thought so....
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 09:21 AM   #158
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Only REAL cruiser here is VTX

All this stupid talk about apples and apples. If you want to compare apples how 'bout a harley twin cam vs. another harley twin cam? Think that would make good reading?

What we've got here is an OPEN MINDED comparison... Harley has (finally) built a bike with average horsepower and called it a powercruiser so lets compare it to other powercruisers. Vmax is cool (and has been since the 80's), as is the VTX, etc, etc. Let's see what happens. No dyed in the wool harley guy will ever buy a jap bike, neither will a fiscally responsible individual purchase a harley (yeah, yeah - trade in value... if you liked your bike you'd keep it) - this isn't about loyalty. This is a comparo of 'like minded' bikes that approach the answer from various different directions.

We know what will happen - vtx more comfy, harley's got funkyness and the VMAX rips everyone's lungs out but getting there is the fun... if you didn't believe that, you'd own a Buick rather than a bike (of any configuration).

rant, rant, rant... ok, I'm done
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 10:00 AM   #159
jimcruise
Founding Member

Default Re: i dont like harleys...but they just smoked honda!!!!

As far as cruisers go, I agree w/ Grampi in that torque is what you appreciate - in that regards Honda really smoked H-D. If you didn't like H-D before, I see no reason this bike should change your mind. H-D needs to stick with what they do best - making their brand of overpriced bikes that appeal to the same folks.
jimcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 10:47 AM   #160
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default 2-speed tranny? Then it would be called...

a BossHoss with 6 cylinders missing

That's what the BossHoss has, a 2-speed automatic for the reason you pointed out, that's all it needs! If you're impressed with the VTX's torque, I'm not sure what the BossHoss turns out but I'm sure it's something well over 300. People call it a novelty bike though, not something serious riders would consider buying. Some might call the VTX that too, if they look at it and the only thing that comes to mind is "why?"

BUT if the VTX is bought by the less well-heeled posers who can't afford a BossHoss, then REALLY a slushbox sounds like a good idea. Have never had any idea why they put them in true sports cars like Miatas and Z3's and Boxsters, except to sell them to posers. Maybe it's about time they drug out the old Hondamatic tranny again. I think it would be a hit in the VTX, and it wouldn't suffer as much as those 400's and 750's they used to put it in!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote