Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-07-2001, 12:18 PM   #141
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default NEW VALK WILL EAT EVERYTHING ALIVE

The torque king of the cruising world is the VTX. But whoever has seen the dyno readings of the 1800 Gold Wing just knows that the impending 1800 Valk will ABSOLUTELY DESTROY everything on its way. I have never had a Honda (disclaimer: my son has a 50 cc Monkey) but I have to bow to the Big Red this time for what appears to be the most awesome dynamic duo ever.

Question: to trade my Royal Star to VTX this year or to Valk next? Hint: there is no time like present time.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2001, 12:25 PM   #142
slimy_one
Founding Member

Default Re: No excuse in being so ignorant now because...

I have a theory about guys who ride metric cruisers and the chip they have on their shoulder (not all have one but a lot do, this dude has a boulder).

IF you ride a metric cruiser that cost $5995 then you got nothing to explain. It's obvious why. A Shadow 750 compensates you for not getting a legendary marque on your tank by leaving several large in your bank account. But if you spend five-figure money and still get an appliance badge, like people who buy this VTX thing, then you feel compelled puff up your ego and convince other people you didn't do something dumb --unless you're a person who's real sure of himself. Never mind that if you're happy with the bike yourself it's overwhelmingly obvious to everybody that you did NOT do anything dumb. Nonetheless, the easiest way to puff up an under-inflated ego caused by having the name same name as a minivan or a portable generator on your tank is to trash-talk what the other guy bought instead of just being quietly happy with your own decision. Say bad things about the other guy's bike, even if you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

This guy's a classic example, seeing as how he's proud of having never set foot in a Harley showroom.
slimy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 02:02 PM   #143
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: No excuse in being so ignorant now because...

Belt drive systems do require more maintainance than shaft drives do. Anyone who says otherwise is full of s***. Shaft drive is the most maintainance free system available.

Shaft drives put about 3-5% less power to the ground than belt or chain drive does. We're talking about 3-5 HP here, and we're talking about cruisers. How many cruiser owners are going to fret over 3-5 HP? I will gladly give up this measly amount of power to have the smooth, quiet, maintainance free operation of a drive shaft any day. Besides, this power can easily be made up with simple mods such as aftermarket exhaust, FI re-mapping, K&N air filter, etc.

I don't know exactly where you're going with your suggestion of checking out the dealerships, but I hope you're not trying to bring up the "Harley outsells all the others" thing. This comes up a lot whenever some Harley owners feel threatend by statements that Harleys don't reign supreme. Many Harley owners will admit they just want to be part of the status quo and realize that the imports are more reliable, handle better, faster, more powerful, more comfortable, etc., in most cases. Some however, cling to the fact that you rarely ever see any of last year's models at the dealerships, or that you have to get on a waiting list as the reason Harleys are superior to the imports. To show that this line of thinking doesn't hold water, just read any article, in any of the reputable magazines, and I'm not talking about Iron Horse, or Easy Rider, when any Harley has been compared to any of the imports. I haven't read one yet that's had any of the Harleys ranked anything but dead last! If you want to preach to someone about how great Harleys are, I suggest you start with the professionals, and work your way down.
Grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 02:06 PM   #144
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe Kawasaki has the right idea...

Well at least I'm not that kind of "poser". I despise SUV's!
Old 08-07-2001, 05:01 PM   #145
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

I did very well on my V-Max, thank you. True, the Max has more cornering clearence, and as far as leaning goes, the Max does corner better. But until pieces touch down, the VTX is more firmly planted in the corners, and it feels more stable. Did you actually get a VTX to scrape in a corner at 30 MPH? Do you weigh like 800 lbs or something? The VTX is heavy, but it certainly doesn't feel porky. Once the bike starts moving, it seems to lose about 300 lbs, even at slow speeds. Honda has out Harleyed Harley? The only thing Harley-like about the VTX is the fact that it's a V twin, everything else is pure Honda. It's pretty tough to think of anything that beats the adrenalin rush of a Max in a strait line, but leaned over, I could think of a few.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:11 PM   #146
blackvalkster
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

How about 8-Grand price difference!!

If you can buy the V-Rod for list put

some money down on one for me and I'll

pay you back!

In fact, all I really want is an FXD!

Get me one at list and I'll be right over!
blackvalkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 07:13 PM   #147
ngall
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles are not computers...

I realize that, but that is still a hell of a long life for a motorcycle. And I don't really think it's that great of a deal since you can get a ZRX1200R that has similar dyno figures, less wieght, good ergonomics and better suspension and brakes for under $9K out the door. On a side note...

The torque the VTX produces is phenominal. Over 70 lb-ft @ idle is pretty awesome. Honda could have just made a 2 speed tranny and it would probably do fine.
ngall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 03:10 AM   #148
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default Harley - why over the list?

Why on earth do Americans pay over the list for Harleys? This does not happen in Europe. Does no-one realize that, well, it might be a rip-off?

Especially as the list price is not cheap either.

cruiz-euro
cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 03:15 AM   #149
torkmonster
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX not backed by performance? Please!

1800 cc's better have some torque.

Coincidentally, I put an 1850 cc motor in my customers softail that had 100 hp and 122 ftlbs. of torque straight out of the box.

torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 03:21 AM   #150
torkmonster
Founding Member

Default Re: Answers

I'd like to see a sporty with a 1200 cc version of the new buell engine.
torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote