Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-06-2001, 07:53 AM   #111
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX is still the biggest and baddest

All of 'em. Narrow angle twin, raked out front end, fender style, gas tank style, super-low seat, front-end look, lots of shiny stuff, etc. - it's not a blatant copy of any one particular Harley, but the the overall style is pure HD. It's a good looking bike, but it's still derivative.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2001, 08:14 AM   #112
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Oops, I read your question too quickly and responded about the VTX instead of the V-Rod, duh...

The V-Rod looks less like a Harley than the VTX, but it's still highly derivative and the aforementioned Harley styling cues are still there. It looks like a modernized Harley, instead of a 50's bike replica like the rest of the Harley line (and the recent Japanese cruisers).

However, if someone took the HD logos off and told me it was the new V65 Magna, I'd probably believe them at first glance, until I figured out it was a twin. The swingarm even looks like a driveshaft! HA, there's an idea - maybe Honda should build a knock-off V-Rod with a Magna V4 and shaft drive for those of us without 25 grand to blow...SWEET!
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 08:21 AM   #113
StregaVFR
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers shoot out.

Pride of ownership? I happen to take great pride in my VFR...don't be blaketing POO on everything BUT a Jap bike.
StregaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 08:34 AM   #114
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX not impressive? Better look again

As was mentioned before... the V-Rod makes more torque than the TC-88 engine... it makes it at higher rpm, but it does make more.

The real test of whether or not it's got enough is side-by-side same gear/same speed roll-on acceleration tests. If the V-Rod and VTX are both rolling... say in 2nd gear at 25 mph, and they both whack the throttle open, one of them will pull away from the other. Which? Dunno... weight, torque and gearing all play factors. Let's wait and see before we start crapping all over one bike or the other, shall we?
Old 08-06-2001, 08:48 AM   #115
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I have to say I agree that the V-Max is not a cruiser, but I also feel that the V-Rod IS. What makes a bike a cruiser or not a cruiser isn't the engine, or the wheelbase, or all that other what-have-you... it's how you sit on it. If you sit on it with your hands high, your feet forward and slouching back... it's a cruiser. If you sit on it straight up and down, it's a standard (like the V-Max) and if you have to lean forward and tuck your legs behind you, it's a sportbike. Period. By those lights, a Suzuki GS 500 with drag bars on it is a sport (or at least sport-y) bike... and it is.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:50 AM   #116
CBR1000F
Founding Member

It looks like the H-D V-Rod. That's what Harley it looks like.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:52 AM   #117
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Rod isn

The dog ate it.

The check is in the mail.

I'm only going for a short ride, honey.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:04 AM   #118
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default H-D makes 7 models under 10 grand...

Among them are some of the least expensive 900-1200 class cruisers on the market. They are called Sportsters and yes you can actually buy one under 10 grand. Now, I already know what you think of Sportsters since you've already expressed your opinion of Harleys several different places, so please not another Harley-bashing tirade. Like most Harley-haters, you've let the cat out of the bag that you're grossly ignorant of their products and their product line if you think they're all way over 10 grand. And of course clueless with regard to what it's like to own and ride one (note I am not currently a Harley owner but have owned 4 in the past and was generally just as satisfied with them as the 4 Hondas I've owned --a lot more so at resale time!)
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:23 AM   #119
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Maybe Kawasaki has the right idea...

the "Mean Streak" (?) appears to give the masses a muscle-cruiser *look* with the mere 70 horses or so you said was considered awesome by most cruiser buyers and reportedly will bring it in for a price the others can't match. And they seem to have created a bike that's more balanced and aesthetically correct than the VTX or Warrior (including lovely pipes that look more like dragpipes than a chrome telephone pole or Subzero's entry into the water heater business, as the case may be.) So I will make a "crazy" prediction that the powercurve-challenged Mean Streak will be a best-seller, because it will appeal to posers and their pocketbooks. Nobody races these things anyway for crying out loud!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:26 AM   #120
Z-Rod
Founding Member

Default What else will this family produce?

I'm interested to see the bike. I like the look, its unique and grows on you. Cycle World had a picture of one done up as a drag bike with rearsets and clipons and it looked pretty evil. Not all the details work on the stock one, but the overall vibe is cool. What is the frame extension that is near the ground and in front of the real wheel all about anyway?

As far as performance goes it is probably more than adequate for the intended use. The accessories page shows it with hard bags and a small screen. In this role the small fuel capacity seems like a bit of a problem, and there is no provision for a more upright seating position. The "C-clamp" position is cool for short rides but maybe not for the long haul.

Said to be "the first of a new generation" it will be interesting to see what the other members look like. Wonder what the weight of the engine is? It would make a nice upgrade to a Buell.

As for the Honda - it has an unfinished look. I owned a Valky and it is a storming engine but at least I didn't think it was a great handling bike. Too porky. Comfortable though. But the little things annoyed - plastic side covers with delicate snap off connectors - hopefully this Harley will have traditional Harley build and part quality.

For whatever reason this bike seems way nicer than the Honda. The new Yami has potential but whats up with the fake air scoop ... it needs a chop job to fix the style.
Z-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote