Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-04-2001, 02:57 PM   #91
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX is still the biggest and baddest

OK, I see where you're coming from, but that doesn't mean there aren't any riders who ARE willing to rev the engine a little to tap into the power. The 4,000 to 9-10,000 RPM range where a Max/V65/V-Rod really smokes isn't exactly high strung sportbike territory, ya know. Far different than an inline 4 buzzing at 14,000 RPM. Personally I don't really care about revs as long as the engine feels happy at high speeds meaning it has no disturbing sound or vibrations.

Can you imagine that there are maybe some people who want the look of a Harley and the performance of a V65 (that also happen to have 20 grand burning a hole in their pockets?
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2001, 06:54 PM   #92
TheMadScientist
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

According to something I read, HD took the VR1000 engine to Porsche and said "Let's make a street legal version of this engine."

Heck, maybe while they were at it, they made a better VR1000 engine. As pedigrees go, Porsche Engineering isn't a bad name for a company like Harley, to be able to drop.
TheMadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 09:19 PM   #93
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default An opinion on the V-Max

Instead of using a new V-max in this comparison, it would be more interesting to use a 5 or 6 year old V-max (V-max is basically unchanged since brake/fork overhaul in 93). The older model could be had for cheap, then thow on better fork brace, frame brace, do the "furber fix", ect. In other words, do all of the cheap handling mods that you see on a lot of V-maxes today. This would more approximate the average V-max that a VTX or V-Rod rider is likely to encounter in the real world.

MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 04:35 AM   #94
max-9
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Max belongs

i hear ya , i know they will compare actual handeling charecteristics ,braking ,acceleration ,seat hight , dry weight ,ect ............ thats great.....BUT i want to see the actual selling price of the v-rod in the comparison not harleys msrp (which should stand for manufacturers suggested retail price but seems to stand for misrepresentation) WHY? because they will be comparing a $10,000 v-max to a (probably real priced) $20,000 or more v-rod ,that really is a major concern when comparing anything, if not we could then compare trailer homes to beverly hills estates . so when you compare please get real price tags along with real horsepower. just call any harley dealer and tell them you want to buy a v-rod,how much?then call any yamaha dealer ask for a v-max, how much? that should be a real part of comparing anything ,THE ACTUAL SELLING PRICE
max-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 06:03 AM   #95
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: The V-Max belongs

I think you're right, all three bikes belong here. Lets face it, the main appeal of all three of these bikes is the muscle they have. People can go on all they want about low-end grunt being everything and this and that is not really a cruiser, but the main selling point of all three is that they're fast, so comparing them does make sense.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:13 AM   #96
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: An opinion on the V-Max

Then they'd have to pay for the bike, instead of getting one loaned to them from Yamaha... Still, it would be a novel idea to compare *all* bikes in the state most people actually ride them in though.

I think it's both funny and kinda sad when magazines test stock Harleys and whine about how slow they are - you have to look hard to find a Harley in the real world without exhaust mods, a jet kit and Screamin' Eagle air cleaner.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:26 AM   #97
Grampi
Founding Member

Default Re: VTX is still the biggest and baddest

So which Harley does the V-rod look like?
Grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 12:30 PM   #98
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Max motor

Yamaha should redo the V-Max, but still keep the "class of one" philosophy and not try to make it fit an existing catagory.

They should keep the same overall dimensions, but improve the chassis, suspension, and brakes, put on radial tires, improve the comfort level, give it more fuel capacity, and update the looks (lose the fake tank and blower).

And except for cosmetic changes, don't change the engine at all!!!!
Old 08-05-2001, 03:23 PM   #99
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Open Cruisers Found on Dyno

Belt as big as a pain as a chain?

3 belts (as on the third belt is on the bike now),

170,000 miles,

13 years,

same bike.

I can live with that. Also the V-Rod (Buelles and Sporsters too) don't have to mess with the swing arm to replace the belt. I also ride BMW's, shafts are just fine, until they fail. Then they are a real pain, been there, done that.

James Allmond

Macon, Ga
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 05:14 PM   #100
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Grampi, if it's ALL about massive torque...

from an engine that's not "supposed to have high RPM" then that would make 1200 Buells "cruisers"! I think 85lb at 4900 would qualify.

FWIW the Japanese have been putting "high-rpm" engines in cruisers a lot longer than Harley has, but nobody bothered to question it because the bikes that resulted weren't exactly headline grabbers to put it kindly, and the V-rod is. But they're all still cruisers since that's what the manufacturer intends for you to *do* with them. Starting to get it now? Would you call the Vulcan 500 a sportbike? It has an engine straight out of a Ninja 500. Guess somebody forgot to tell Kawasaki as well.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote