Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-23-2000, 04:43 PM   #1
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Crashing Sucks - Reader Feedback

You're right. Crashing does suck. Big time. Luckily, I've only done it at relavitely slow speeds, and I have the greatest sympthy for those who have had more serious crashes and had to deal with inefficient hospitals, etc...

Now I don't have anything against hospitals, they put you back together and there's a lot to be said for that. I just really wish they could work faster. Here's to better funding for them! (yes I am a liberal. Flame away)
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2000, 04:48 PM   #2
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Oh yeah: forgot to add that leather is awesome. The more of it, the better. I love my gloves, jacket, and boots. And anyone who doesn't wear a full-face helmet EVERY TIME they ride is stupid. That's all there is to it.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 07:01 PM   #3
badsac
Founding Member

I agree with Brett''s suggestion that riding on the dirt is one of the best ways to improve your skills on your roadbike. Back when I was doing enduros, my bike control on my roadbike was miles better than it currently is. I used to find that it would only take a weekend back on the dirt every once in a while to get my skills back up to par again. Hmm, maybe I might have to russle up a dirt bike from somewhere soon.

As for crashing on the road, I''ve got to say that the only times I''ve ever crashed in 12 years of road riding have come from unforseen circumstances like hitting an oil slick at 4am or having a kangaroo jump off a bank on top of me at midnight (It must not have liked the look of me. Tough bastard got up hoped off. My bike was writen off though). I''ve never had any problems while riding in towns because I always ride agressively. Not recklessly, just a bit faster and agressively than the rest of the traffic. I''d find that my concentration would be that much better, so that when the inevitable car would come through a stop sign at me, I''d be ready to either stop or accelerate past them. Many of my non-riding friends would accuse me of riding dangerously, but they never had an answer for why I''ve been thankfully accident free while they seem to be having accidents in their coffins constantly.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2000, 08:51 PM   #4
devil_clown
Founding Member

First and for most, I want to congratulate the staff of motorcycle.com for telling it like it is. Even when it''s not cool or politically correct you always tell it like it REALLY is. As for crashing and safety gear? Those who went bizerk about the helmet law infringing on their rights etc etc. either just haven''t taken that nastey spill yet or haven''t known any one who has. My best friend found out the hard way in 93 on his Katana 600f after T-boning a kid who stole mammas car and didn''t have a license. Accidents happen. That''s why they are called accidents. And yes, they happen to you too. As far as safety gear is concerned, ask the coroner had he had a good helmet on and not looking so cool without one would he have lived. I didn''t ask, but was put through the horror of being told that he would have without doubt lived had he been wearing a good quality helmet. Your friends, family and loved ones don''t think you look so cool in a casket. It''s a dangerous addiction this motorcycling is. But it''s a choice we make freely. Be smart, choose to live. Poney up some cash and get some quality equiptment. Besides, the police can never get you in a line up for shootin em the bird while flyin by if you have a helmet on. Be smart. Live.

Devil_clown
devil_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 02:19 AM   #5
IceWorm
Founding Member

Thanks, MO for reminding us of the importance of full protective gear. I live in Louisiana which repealed our helmet law at the beginning of this year. Guess what? Motorcycle deaths have doubled in the first ten months of this year over last year, and now Florida has no helmet law. Last year Daytona bike week set a record for motorcycle deaths and riders were wearing helmets. I can''t even begin to imagine what it will be like this year. Just think of all those drunk skill-less Hardley riders going up and down A1-A with no helmet.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 02:51 AM   #6
IceWorm
Founding Member

Well, I just realized that was a dumb thing to say about the skill-less Hardley riders. They weren't wearing helmets last year either. They had something on their head but it has yet to be determined it was.
Old 10-24-2000, 03:09 AM   #7
IceWorm
Founding Member

I understand your point and certainly that is exactly the point that the ABATE people make. I will always wear protective riding gear and I really don't give a hoot if there is a law requiring me to do so, and maybe they are holding the legislative forces at bay on other motorcycle issues. Answer this for me though. Is there an unacceptable level of motorcycle accident death increase that would make you change your mind about helmet law repeal?
Old 10-24-2000, 03:57 AM   #8
MC
Founding Member

Default *sigh* Helmet laws again

Is there an unacceptable level of motorcycle accident death increase that would make you change your mind about helmet law repeal?

Nope, not for me.

If some bonehead wants to go out and risk cracking his skull open on the pavement... then hey, more power to him. He isn''t hurting me, or anyone else by it.

Besides, if there ever was some ungodly amount of motorcycle wreck deaths then it would seem that there is some other problem that needs correcting, besides just convincing people to wear helments.

Thanks,

- MC
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 05:07 AM   #9
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Body Armor

In the first practice session of my first Super TT (Super Motard) race, I lost the front and went down on my left elbow. I was wearing a full set of Dainese leathers, with internal armor. When I hit the ground, I was amazed at how hard it actually was and at the force of the impact from a simple lowside. My left elbow was seriously bruised for about three weeks after the fall and I can only imagine what would have happened to my elbow had I not been wearing good leathers with a big plastic elbow cup sewn into them. The thought of 6 months with a shattered elbow does not appeal to me. Right then and there, I decided to wear my leathers EACH and EVERY time I rode on pavement.
Old 10-24-2000, 06:11 AM   #10
Vinnie
Founding Member

We all enjoy an inherently dangerous hobby/lifestyle and it is made primarily so by churlish fools with driver's licenses.

No, I do NOT feel your pain...thank God! But I do feel very bad that youre hurt. Everytime I read in the daily newspaper about a m'cyclist getting hit or killed, I cringe.

I wonder if riders get hit and killed in Europe as much as we do here. Some Euro countries require a looong process before one can get a driver's license. Here you get a three hour defensive driver course IF you get a ticket and go to school to wipe out the points. It should be mandatory for EVERYBODY.

I'm sorry, I don't want to know about your bike or your clothes...I wanna know if the truck driver got a ticket and if you're gonna sue his butt for loss of wages, companionship (your riding buds) and the future physical therapy.

Sic 'em Dan-o!
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote