Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-27-2000, 05:24 PM   #61
huskerdu
Founding Member

Default Re: Crashing Sucks - Reader Feedback

I''ve made it until the old age of 36 with not even a **really** close call and I''m grateful everytime I ride. I feel like I''m riding on borrowed time once in awhile though and when I do, I just ride extra carefully. Not to say someone''s not going to run a red light and cream me, but the acciden won''t be from my doing.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2000, 06:22 AM   #62
2kips
Founding Member

Default Deer whistle debate

I've read that you have to have two of the whistles mounted a fair distance apart for them to work, which is impossible on a motorcycle. Also, the same article stated that when/if the deer hear the whistle they're just as likely to jump out in front of you as they are to jump away from you. I think it's a toss up. I wish there was some foolproof way of driving them off the road, though. I managed to hit one last year and the accident put me down for three months. The damn deer just ran off into the woods. If you're a hunter, take out as many as you possibly can!
2kips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2000, 11:26 AM   #63
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Sorry, gotta do better than that. (kinda long)

Exactly my point! Your right to ride helmetless should be balanced against the social costs of riding helmetless.

Actually, we discussed the Ninth Amendment very little- only in the context of Griswold v. Connecticut, a 1965 case where a state was trying to prevent people from obtaining or using birth control. Even then, the use of the Ninth was from Goldberg, Marshall and Burger''''s dissent.

Here''''s some relvant stuff from that, which I thought interesting:

Rather, the Ninth Amendment shows a belief of the Constitution''''s authors that fundamental rights exist that are not expressly enumerated in the first eight amendments and an intent that the list of rights included there not be deemed exhaustive. As any student of this Court''''s opinions knows, this Court has held, often unanimously, that the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments protect certain fundamental personal liberties from abridgment by the Federal Government or the States.

The Ninth Amendment simply shows the intent of the Constitution''''s authors that other fundamental personal rights should not be denied such protection or disparaged in any other way simply because they are not specifically listed in the first eight constitutional amendments. I do not see how this broadens the authority of the

Court; rather it serves to support what this Court has been doing in protecting fundamental rights...the Ninth Amendment, in indicating that not all such liberties are specifically mentioned in the first eight amendments, is surely relevant in showing the existence of other fundamental

personal rights, now protected from state, as well as federal, infringement. In sum, the Ninth Amendment simply lends strong support to the view that the ''''liberty'''' protected by the Fifth And Fourteenth Amendments from infringement by the

Federal Government or the States is not restricted to rights specifically mentioned in the first eight amendments.

In determining which rights are fundamental, judges are not left at large to decide cases in light of their personal and private notions. Rather, they must look to the ''''traditions and (collective) conscience of our people'''' to determine whether a principle is ''''so rooted (there) * * * as to be ranked as fundamental.''''

The inquiry is whether a right involved ''''is of such a character that it cannot be denied without violating those ''''fundamental principles of liberty and justice which lie at the base of all our civil and political institutions'''' ''''Liberty'''' also ''''gains content from the emanations of * * * specific (constitutional) guarantees'''' and ''''from experience with the requirements of a free society.''''

So what are those old dead white guys saying? That, yes, just because a right isn''''t enumerated in the Constitution doesn''''t mean it''''s not a protected right. But, it still must be something rooted in the collective concsiousness, and denying it would violate a fundamental principle of liberty.

So tell me, is riding helmetless rooted in our collective conciousness? Does restricting it violate a fundamental principle of liberty? I gotta say no. Now, maybe outlawing motorcycles completely- you''''d have a case there, for sure. But requiring helmets? Would you say the same for seatbelts?

Reproductive rights and the right to privacy are recognized by the Supreme Court to be protected freedoms. Your right to do something foolish or life-threatening is most decidedly not.

Also, was that toe the liberal party line comment meant for me? How do you know I''''m a liberal? Anybody, no matter what their political stripe, would agree that the Republican Convention was a carefully scripted puppet show, the same as the Democratic convention.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 06:40 PM   #64
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default Good roads in Austin?

I live in San Antonio and recently got back in the saddle after a few years of the jitters caused by losing my best friend beside me. (Shouldn't have waited so long.) That aside, I've lost contact with most of my riding buddies and am frequently in Austin. Have any suggestions to some good roads that way? 2222 I know. Is that a crazy road or what? Any others you can suggest around the Austin area? Great as in worth the ride from San Antoinio to see?

Devil Clown
devil_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 06:46 PM   #65
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default Ouch!! Egad!!

Well........ School is for learning right? No. Screw that. Sue that damn college and become a Dr. on them. (Dr.'s seem to have nicer bikes by the way.) That sucks about the gate. Did you at least get a ride in their super high-tech, no one gets away from this speedy golf cart with the yellow flashing light? Get well and use the other hand when ya see Motorcyclists Dec 2000 issue.

Devil Clown
devil_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 12:22 PM   #66
stevegrab
Founding Member

That chip and seal stuff is terrible. I just thought it was bad to ride on it (can be like a gravel road down the center even for weeks after they put it down). Now there's another reason not to ride on it, the abrasive surface is bad enough to even shred good riding gear. Let alone what it can do to exposed skin.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 06:17 PM   #67
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Re: blind spot point

Good point: Always avoid blind spots! I like to ride even with the driver's door so he knows I'm there, even though sometimes it seems like I'm intimidating him (if it's a riceboy, though, it's intentional ).

When I was first learning to ride, one of my co-workers was a crusty old chain-smoking woman motorcycle mechanic and racer with years of racing and wrenching under her belt. I asked her if she could give me one piece of advice about safe riding, and without even a pause she replied ride like you're invisible, because chances are, people won't look for you anyway, and they're your biggest threat.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 06:24 PM   #68
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default correction: better tires: need street sport-touring tires

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to mislead. My Seca stays firmly on the street. I want tires that help it stay there. I do a mix of hard cornering combined with long interstate cruising. Well.. who am I kidding. What's the stickiest, softest tires they got that will fit a Seca?
Old 10-31-2000, 06:41 PM   #69
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Another trick at stoplights is to position yourself such that if someone rear-ends you, you (and the bike) go out at a 30 degree angle and the brunt of the force is taken by the car that was in front of you. Why put yourself exactly in the center of the crusher when you can angle the bike just enough so that the path the bike will take during impact is not into the car in front but off to the side, avoiding the crunch!
Old 10-31-2000, 07:10 PM   #70
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Folks, check this site out: nudity, wheelies, burnouts, !!!

This site is crazy!