Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-26-2000, 09:45 PM   #51
smokedetector
Founding Member

Default Learn from their mistakes - Reader Feedback

I purchased my first motorcycle in 1973. Honda 100. At the age of 16 I survived my first impact with a car. There was some irony involved so the entire incident was not totally wasted. Happened like this:

I got off of work and started carving a trail to the local Honda shop to purchase a right turn signal bulb. I was waiting in a turn lane for the traffic to clear so I could cross and enter the shop parking lot. The oncoming traffic was thick as a brick. Immediately after that sentence, I was hit from behind. My bike and I took a direct course into the oncoming traffic lanes - I crossed both of them, and slammed my head (via helmet ( & I still do not understand why people do not like helmets)) into the curb.

The only thought swimming in my head was the all of the radial tires I saw as I was waiting for traffic to clear. I did not want to raise my head and look for fear of the tire that killed being the last thing that I ever saw. I waited about ten seconds (felt like two years) and then raised my head. There was no traffic. I looked in the direction of the car that hit me and saw an old woman shaking her fist at me and yelling at me because I was in her way. Then she left the scene. Go figure.

We ended up getting her in court, but on that day I learned not to trust anybody with my life. We motorcyclists are never safe when our engines are running. BE ALERT!

I got a replacement bike about one month later. Two months later I was circling my favorite lake. I was following a car around a curve and somebody tossed a bottle out of the window. My front tire caught it, my front end lifted, my bike straightened from the turn posture - I came down about two feet in front of a high curb at 40 miles an hour.

My front tire caught on the curb and I was flung forward of my bike somersaulting through the air - my bike was right behind me. Fortunately, I had two things going for me. First, my previous accident made me properly paranoid and very vigilant for danger so I wasn''''''''t totally taken by suprise. Secondly, after my first rude awakening, I had be schooling myself on different methods of ejecting myself from my bike. I had read a good number of magazines describing the safest methods according to the obstacle: cars, curbs, shrubs, sliders, telephone poles....

So the answers to survival are always the same: Assume nothing. Be alert. Be mentally prepared to react.

Oddly enough, less than a year after the last two incidents I also managed to slip on a bannana peel while leaving my mothers house in a huff. Yup, my front tire caught it and the bike dropped my rump to the ground. So, answer number two: Don''''''''t get on your motorcycle and attempt to go anywhere in a huff.
smokedetector is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2000, 01:04 AM   #52
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default Re: Deer Sunset, Deer Twilight, Dear DAMN Deer

Deer whistels? You know, I just don't know about those things. I grew up in a VERY rural area where you were assured to be woken by Dad blowin a rattlesnake off the front porch in the summers with a shotgun. No, I'm not a redneck. No, I did not live in a trailor. My folks just prefered to live in the country. Back to the point though. Like I said, growing up there I heard and saw people use those things all the time. Do they work? Your guess is as good as mine. Personally, I think it's more of a folktale than anything. If you think about it, people who put deer whistles on their vehicles are aware that these deer are the devils lunatics and are aware of the inherent danger they pose to motorists. Thus, being aware of the problem, they look for deer in and on the sides of the roads while driving. They know they are there and they look for them, thus avoiding potentially ugly outcomes. I don't know if they work or not, but my guess is if you've put one on your vehicle, you're already safety conscience and that can make a world of difference between kissin your kids goodnight and having them carry your casket. So I say, don't trust the whistle, just watch your ass better than I was watchin mine that night.

Devil Clown
devil_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 07:47 AM   #53
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Crashing Sucks - Reader Feedback

Your argument is, I guess, that having a certain brand of motorcycel makes you a safer rider, but I am guessing that HD's are just as represented in accidents as any kind of bike.

I would be scared to ride a Harley. Bad suspension, no power, too much weight and 1970's brakes=accident waiting to happen.

Plus, I see the way Harley culture encourages people to dress. Plastic Yarmulkes, (and if there's no helmet law, nothing- yikes!) cheap chinese-made leather and boots, flimsy chinese gloves, no armor anywhere. When it's hot, t-shirt and jeans.

I don't know if you dress like that, but I'll bet you know plenty of people who do.

Maybe that was the standard 30 years ago, but there's better gear availiable. If you guys are gonna ride antiques, at least get modern, safe riding gear.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 07:57 AM   #54
Gabe
Registered Member

Hey Grasshopper-

The folks at the 250 Ninja board think you made this up- can you please post here and set them straight?

http://discserver.snap.com/Indices/5109.html

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 09:06 AM   #55
wingdave
Founding Member

Default testify, poon

spent last weekend in and around all of the canyons here.

parley's.. big cottonwood.. little cottonwood.. millcreek.. etc. My 81 GL1100 interstate handles like an overweight sportbike. no ****. little rainy (off and on) but hot damn.. what kick ass fall colors. SLC roads are supposed to be done in less than a year.. then everyone will speed even faster.. whee.

Keep the rubber side down.
wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 11:06 AM   #56
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default My Dog Harley

Hey? Someone gonna give my dog his damn bowl back? He's hungry I tell you.

Devil Clown
Old 10-27-2000, 11:15 AM   #57
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default Re: Crashing Sucks - Not just riders

Well, basically you're screwed for a while. I too am married and fought tooth and nail to get another bike. If that's all you talk about for six months, she just might give in. She says How was you day? You say Better if I had a bike. She says What would you like for dinner? You say A Yzf600 omlette and a twisty side of backroad to go. She'll think you've lost your marbles, but sooner or later she just might give. As far as Houston is concerned, don't do it. I live just a few hours from Houston and you'll never catch me riding there. Not once, not ever. Trust me brotha, you just might die in Houston traffic. If ya get one, take it to the hill country like someone else who responded said. Much safer, much more fun, much longer life span. You ride in Houston and sooner or later some redneck will have you tied to the hood of his Urban Assault Vehicle as his next trophy.

Devil Clown
Old 10-27-2000, 12:01 PM   #58
IceWorm
Registered Member

I use to ride Harleys for twenty years no less. Finally got fed up the the pieces of ****. Got fed up with **** vibrating off, keys getting stuck in the ignition, breakin my neck tryin to find the ignition, no tools to fix **** and no place to put tools if I had em, frame grinding down in corners and levering the back wheel off the ground. I crashed twice that way. I finally I got tired of hanging around pseudo bad boy dentist retread hooligans that got more money than neurons.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 12:13 PM   #59
IceWorm
Registered Member

Twice as many as the previous two years combined. not just more than the previous two years, TWICE AS MANY FOR CHRIST SAKE.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2000, 01:38 PM   #60
Mutt
Founding Member

Man, I STILL can't figure out how to get my real name on instead of Anonymous Squid!

Anyway, I generally agree. I liked the book. It gave me a new appreciation for what racers do out there on the track, but little of the information is good for the street. Finding the line on the street is easy, just stay out of the center of the lane, and DON'T stray out of your lane when negotiating the curves. If Code's advice was used on the street, I'd be a statistic by now. Street= apples, track= oranges.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote