Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-24-2000, 05:25 PM   #21
backroadbandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Crashing Sucks - Reader Feedback

Those aren't bedpans, they are dog bowls! How do you think they feed those little stuffed puppies they strap to the rear fender? You gotta have a bowl.

What I like about the full face helmet is the chicks smile and wave, and holler wow, nice bike! which they would never do if they could see it was a 49 year old dude at the bars.
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2000, 05:29 PM   #22
spindizzy
Founding Member

A couple of really nice things about France for motorcyclists:

1. They assume in any bike-car related incident that the car was at fault.
2. they have ordinances in place to make sure when roads are built or maintained that motorbikes have to be taken into account. No Road furniture, wire rope etc.
spindizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 07:35 PM   #23
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Thoughts on crashing (or avoiding)

I'm 22, been riding for 4 years, and have laid down once. I was making a right-turn at an intersection just after a snow-storm. The snow had melted but sand was everywhere. I swung wide as I was exiting the turn, and while the bike was still leaning I yanked the throttle. Instantly the rear broke loose and I felt a low-side coming on. Since I was almost out of the turn, I stood up, dirt-bike style, in hopes of leting the bike settle under me. But I forgot to pull in the clutch, so once the back tire caught again, it jerked the rear the other way. The bike begin dancing violently underneath me and soon we both tumbled to the ground. I remember rolling to a stop and then standing up with severe tunnel vision, trying to pick my bruised 1981 Kawasaki KZ550 out of the road. My brother who was riding with me pulled over and grabbed my bike. I pulled myself together, rode it home, and took a loooong nap.

Lessons learned:

1. don't ever lose respect for the bike or the road.

2. be very aware of pavement conditions

3. protective gear kept my injuries minimal

4. there is a time to showboat; choose that time wisely.

5. Buy the lightest bike you can.

6. Consider everything a hazard, out to get you.

What about weight?

My 550 is light compared to bikes of that era, but at 530lbs, it's no featherweight. I immediately began searching for a sportbike for their lightweight and better performance. I did (and still do) consider sportbikes the safest rides out there. It scared me to think that after a minor crash like that I couldn't even pick up my own bike. This is not to say I can't pick up my 550 normally, it just requires too much thought for an emergency situation. I don't know how harley guys do it. I once had to help a tow-truck driver get a wrecked harley up off its side and onto his flatbed. I'll never ever buy a Harley after that.

So I switched to a 92 Yamaha Seca II 600. 430lbs dry, MUCH more manageable. And the handling difference? Oh so confidence-inspiring. I will never ride anything but a sportbike or sport-tourer again.

What about this for a safety philosphy: Driving faster and more aggressively in order to limit hazards to the frontal viewing area?

One of my more recent 2-wheel commutes was a trek on the famous I-95 from Philly to Baltimore. I drove it all summer to and from work in a car, and I wanted to try it on a bike. What a difference! In my oldsmobile (aka sofa on wheels) I could just sit in the right lane doing 65, keep my eye on traffic around me, and enjoy the drive. Now, every approaching vehicle worried me, particularly the ones from behind. What I decided to do to eliminate that possibility was to drive faster and more aggressively than everyone else around me (85-93mph, normally everyone else goes 75-80), so that I could therefore concentrate solely on what was ahead of me (albeit regularly checking my mirrors). This actually eased the tension significantly, and allowed my concentration to be better focused. During this I was never passed, and had no close calls.

I'm not advocating blatant speeding or reckless driving, but if you're the most aggressive person out there, you have the most dangerous element under your control. This, however, implies that your prediction, reaction, and physical skills are also better than anyone else's out there. Ever wonder how a house fly is always in your way and you're always swatting at it, but it always seems to avoid you? Take this with a grain of salt, but consider it.

I'm 22; you might not be.

Hope this helps someone reading this.

PS.. for sportbike riders who love the exhilaration of the limit, I've discovered that riding at 80% is much safer and quite nearly as fun.

PPS. My 550 is for sale. Stored indoors, 15k miles, very fast, 50mpg, never laid down except by me (two minor scuffs). Needs a new rear tire (this one has slow leak). $950 takes it. Located in Wilmington DE. Email for more info or pics.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 09:58 PM   #24
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default Earth to Mr. Sulu

Earth to Mr. Sulu.... Send down McCoy. This guy has gone and gotten into The Captains Green Lady''s wine again. Spock must have gotten into the scotch as that''s NOT my shoulder he''s a squeezin!!. Slap!! Smack!! No more scotch Spock!! Any how, we request a full exam of this guy''s head. (Hit it so hard he''s silly he is.) What a wonderful way to look at an ugly day. Hope the soup was hot, the beer cold and the bruises left to a minimum.

Devil_Clown
devil_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 10:08 PM   #25
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default Uhhhhh Houston? What the F%$K? Over.....

Is THAT where my dogs bowl is? Damnit, now Harley is starving my pet? Twenty three grand for a Harley and they can't even throw in a helmet!?! They resort to stealing my damn dogs bowl!?! He's hungry for Pete's sake!! (Who's pete by the way?) Should have saved some of the money from the selling of the double wide to put down on a new helmet with that Harley. Give the dog back his bone.

Devil_Clown
Old 10-24-2000, 10:23 PM   #26
devil_clown
Founding Member

Due to a court mandated gag order, I can tell you only so much about the death of my best friend. The kid who caused the accident was 15, not an American Citizen, was driving someone elses car with no insurance and DELIVERING PIZZAS for a NATIONAL PIZZA CHAIN!!! Bottom line.... His family damn near OWNS that chain now. It doesn't replace their loss, but it gives a certain amount of justice to what was a blatant risk of life for all. Eat up.

Devil_Clown
Old 10-24-2000, 10:56 PM   #27
devil_clown
Founding Member

Default I'm gonna get you

Paranoid yet? ha-ha-ha! Actually, I'm with you there. My latest drug is the 2000 Gsxr 750. (If you haven't sampled the sweetness, it's a must. My favorite bike of all time.) Talk about every damn idiot on the road wanting to run em!! I'm starting to think I either have a psycho magnet firmly implanted in my head that attracts this or I just might have to paint the bike pink with flowers to disguise it. As for the paranoia, I agree. Do you agree? Well? Do you!?! If you're on the defensive and not a wheelie riding, lane splitting, tear that vette up cause I too wanted daddy to buy me one when I was 18 and I'll show him kinda person, I believe your chances of survival are far greater. Ya gotta look out for yourself. The mass of the general public really don't care and you're lucky if they stop after turning you into a road waffle if they might be late for brunch and a capacino.

On that note: For those of you who see those of us who do wear full leathers or other quality protective gear, give us a break will ya? Just because we have leathers on DOES NOT mean we want to race at every given momment that you're SURE you're 65 pinto or 74 400 super sport can out run us. It usually means THAT WE WANT TO LIVE!!! Try it sometime.
Old 10-25-2000, 04:03 AM   #28
aeroegg
Founding Member

I've been riding bicycles and motorcycles for many years and I agree bicycling feels much more dangerous than motorcycle riding. In fact, I've had far more injuries from bicycling than motorcycling, but most of those injuries were of the low speed road rash variety and luckily no car collisions. In fact, I've read recently that as a recreational sport, bicyclists get more injuries than any other sport, basketball having the second most. The article did not indicate if bicycling had the highest fatalities.

In my experience, many car drivers and passengers out there go out of their way to be rude to bicyclists, mostly teenage punks and really old folks in large cars.

Be careful out there.
aeroegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 04:43 AM   #29
MC
Founding Member

Default Re: *sigh* Helmet laws again

i) The ambulance ...

Ambulances make runs all the time, every day even. If someone falls off his bike and breaks his arm, or breaks his skull, chances are both will require an ambulance. But, I''m willing to concede that there is a .0001 chance that the ambulance that just ran over me is going to the scene of a motorcycle wreck, and that the rider has a head injury, and that the rider has *only* a head injury, and that the rider was not wearing a helmet, and that the rider would have been 100% ok if he was wearing a helmet. Nobody ever said freedom was free.

ii) insurance / taxes

Insurance companies are thieves anyway, and all insurance company agents are going to hell. I''m already paying for everyone else''s stupid mistakes that are non-helmet related... so I don''t see the difference here.

Taxes? Please. The extra tax burden from motorcycle wrecks to fix a person''s noodle where he was not wearing a helmet (but only the costs to fix his head, not that arm he is missing and that steel guard rail he has for a third leg now) is very very very insignificant. We, as a country, have probably spent exponentially more money paying our legislators to argue about it, insurance companies to ***** about it, research companies to research it, lobbyists to lobby for or against it, yada yada yada. The whole tax burden issue is just a cop-out for when poeple don''t have anything else to argue with.

Thanks,

- MC

MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 06:20 AM   #30
wingdave
Founding Member

Default helmet law?

Utah has no helmet law, and on some hot days I have found myself hopping on my dresser and tooling home, trying to enjoy the wind in my receding hair (laughing) but unable to shake the image of my head hitting the ground and shattering like a watermelon. Now, on those days, I probably have a false sense of security because my bike gives me the feeling that I'm INSIDE it.. but it becomes more obvious day by day that it's just a bike.. (See my other post)

No law should take away your choice, but damn.. you could.. nay ..WILL die.
wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote