Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-24-2000, 05:59 AM   #11
wingdave
Founding Member

Default Watch out for me....

I live in Utah, currently undergoing the largest freeway/surface road reconstruction project in the history of the world. The proliferation of useless idiots driving lumbering SUV's or MAV's (mormon assault vehicles as they're known here) is only made worse by the cell phones and the construction cones. Not to mention open lanes, closed lanes, off ramps and the like that change every day. All that being said, you would think the construction crews/public safety yahoos would notice more than the average cage driving monkey brain. But I should've been so lucky.

Me and my 81 full dresser 'wing commute 10 miles a day to work.. as I was closing in on the final 2 blocks of my morning commute last week, a utility truck wearing state seals started bearing left at the intersection, to turn left on a busy street, as I moved to pass him on the right, he abruptly changed his mind and swerved directly into my path.

Locking up my brakes, standing on the pegs and waiting for the impact I was lucky enough to skillfully avoid sliding underneath him, avoiding considerable pain, my wing toppled over on the engine guard, (which amazingly supported the weight of my bike not allowing it to fall all the way over.)

I was unhurt, and after examining my bike, lifting it back to an upright position and starting it up, I realized as all the traffic roared by me on the left, and no one (including the state worker) stopped to help.. WE SCOOTER RIDERS ARE ON OUR OWN.

yeah, alone and well.. better off for it.

PROTECT YOUR HEADS AMIGOS. Watch out for your fellow motorcyclists, and please, I implore you, if you are a lunatic wheelie riding sportbiker, choose your showboating carefully.. not only have I lost friends that way, but you make the public look at us all the same way. Can't help that cage drivers are ignorant, but can help each other out.

Peace and exhaust fumes!
wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2000, 08:04 AM   #12
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Re: Crashing Sucks - Reader Feedback

My old lady is not misguided enough to hand me an ultimatum like that-- I can live without anyone, but I will not live without the bike. Guess that''s why I''ve pitched it in the road a few times.

You sound suspiciously like a car driver to me.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 10:04 AM   #13
Larry
Founding Member

I used to catch a bit of crap for wearing a helmet when there was no helmet law. The following is why I always have and will wear one:

I was age 11, riding my new Hodaka 100 through the yard of an abandoned house at the end of the road I lived on. There was one hedge missing along the driveway and I shot through the opening and across the drive. It just so happened that the realtor was leaving in her car from showing the property. The car clipped my back wheel and kicked the bike sideways, just as the front wheel hit a rut. The bike went end over end 2 or 3 times, while my foot was stuck between the brake and footpeg. When I sat up I could see that my foot was nearly torn off at the ankle, and as I slipped off my helmet I noticed my helmet WAS IN PIECES! My head had smacked the ground so hard that it destroyed the helmet. My ankle healed in time (although I can still predict rain at age 40), but had I not been wearing that helmet, my brains would have been all over the ground. I spent the better part of that year on crutches and before I got back on a bike I had a new Bell helmet from Mom and Dad. Broken bones, bruises, and scrapes will heal but head injuries are forever.
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 10:28 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I'm not going to flame away on you, but think about what you just said. Better funding for hospitals. Can I assume that you are referring to government funding? Just where do you think that government gets its money? If you really want hospitals (which are a business, by the way---why don't we just give money to all businesses? Let's all pitch in and send a few bucks to GM.) to have more money, why don't you just bypass the government and send them a check? That way, they'll get all of it, beaurocrats won't get to take their cut. The only money that government can provide to hospitals (or anyone else) is the money that they forcibly take from YOU and ME.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 10:46 AM   #15
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

An alliterative haiku by BMW man.
Old 10-24-2000, 11:06 AM   #16
nebo
Registered Member

Your speedo reads way high- you're going 60
Old 10-24-2000, 11:25 AM   #17
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

You know, I see most of the comments here revolving around no safety equipment or stupid automobile drivers--- but in the three years I have been riding, all three crashes I have witnessed have been soley the rider's fault, one involving alcohol (God was watching over us that day, my friends) and only one involved a car, and only marginally at that. All involved a going too fast through a turn, and two were at 75MPH plus. Fortunately, God must have had further plans for these people (2 were good friends of mine) as they all walked away-- the worst was a broken collarbone. I laid my own bike down due to my own stupidity as well. I found out the hard way that when you hit bumps when you are hard on the brakes, you will be on the ground before you know what happened. Fortunately, I was already down to about 25MPH when it happened. I have grown used to seeing crashed late-model GSXR's.

I have seen stupid drivers, don't get me wrong, but I have seen stupider motorcyclists.
Old 10-24-2000, 12:21 PM   #18
john
Founding Member

Well, since I believe that harley/cruiser riders are MOST likely to not wear a helmet if they are not required to, then maybe the sportbikers riders will get a break. Especially because of daytona, if the number of wrecks are greater in the cruiser arena, perhaps the stupid people would realize that sportbikes truly are safer, and the majority of sportbike riders are indeed safe.
Old 10-24-2000, 03:19 PM   #19
IceWorm
Registered Member

OK, so you don't ride a Hardley but do you rike like you are on a Hardley? You must because if you ever got a bug in the face at 100+mph then you would swear by full face helmets. You say 100 mph is to fast for the street grasshopper? Then have you ever got a but in the face at 80mph? Still not fun. You keep ridin with that open face helmet and some day you'r gonna some rinoplasty by Dr. Asphalt.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2000, 04:22 PM   #20
backroadbandit
Founding Member

It was a dog bowl. I think they wear those on their heads so they can feed the little dogs they tie on the rear fender. It's about looking good, don't you know?
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote