Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-02-2001, 08:27 AM   #1
Chester
Founding Member

Default Re: EMAP Sells (Petersen Publishing) to Primedia

Interesting. What AMerican bike mag(s) did EMAP publish?
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2001, 08:38 AM   #2
minime
Founding Member

Dirt Rider, Motorcyclist, MX Racer, Sport Rider, Motorcycle Cruiser, and Hot Rod bikes.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 09:19 AM   #3
sqidbait
Founding Member

Hopefully this won't affect Motorcyclist too much.

They've really improved over the last year

or so. In fact, when I saw the "details" section

for the super standard shootout a month or two

ago, I actually broke down and subscribed!

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 01:40 PM   #4
DataDan
Founding Member

I think I read (here?) that EMAP had sunk tens of millions into web development, yet Hot Rod seems to be the only site online. Any buzz about what the acquisition might mean for their web presence?
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 02:51 PM   #5
minime
Founding Member

There's also Motor Trend online. Unfortunately, we can't reveal all that we know about their web plans for the motorcycle-related stuff. Still, it is true that they have been spending money working up to a web presence though you'll notice there still isn't one.

As for what the acquisition might mean for their web venture, it's too early to say. Surely they're looking to have some sort of window to the web world, though what form it will take and how extensive it will be are pretty much unknown quantities at this point.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 03:41 PM   #6
JonMudskiper
Founding Member

They also have Fourwheeler i believe online

JonMudskiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:02 PM   #7
Gabe
Founding Member

Default 17 and Motorcyclist to Merge

July 1, 2002

New York (AP)

In a surprise announcement today, Primedia declared its intent to combine 17, Motorcyclist, and Guns&Ammo magazine into one consumer publication.

"America, there's a new trend that's sweeping teens everywhere: fashionbikingsportmanship." said Chandra "Speed" Heston, newly appointed editor of "Slightly Underage Motorcycle Shooting Enthusiast", the new bi-monthly from Primedia. "I can't tell you how often I see a teen-age girl riding a high-speed motorcycle applying makeup and practicing her God-given right to protect her home and family from jack-booted government thugs."

The new publication, which will have a record-breaking 92% advertising content, will contain a bizzare gamut of motorcycle, gun and teen-beauty tip articles.

In the first issue, released to the media at the newly opened "Guns n' Harleys" restaurant in Midtown Manhattan, there is an article entiltled "10 Ways to Reload Your Revolver While Applying Makeup at The AMA Superbike Races." Another article gave tips on modifying motorcycle exhaust systems with a shotgun while talking with your boyfriend and finding out what he really thinks about you.

Industry insiders seemed confused and bewildered at the news.

"It's called what now?" remarked Mitch Boehem, former Motorcyclist editor from his new job at PC World. "Have they totally lost their minds?"

"Huh?" said Peter Egan, auto columnist. "It's so bright out here! Where's my Morgan?"

Other insiders were more hopeful. "That sounds good," said Charleton Heston, president of the NRA. "Now we can inspire the vast militia of teenage girls who happen to be gun and motorcycle enthusiasts against those enemies of our God-given freedoms: the dammned dirty apes. Where's my Seconal?"

Alonzo Pitard, Primedia Vice President in Charge of Reducing Content, was extremely upbeat about the future of consumer magazines.

"This is a first step towards our eventual goal of consolidationg every magazine on earth into one enourmous ad. By 2020, we will have no need for staples, as it will just be one long scroll with ads for the one enormous corporation that owns everthing on Earth. By 2025, we hope to just superimpose a slogan on consumer's corneas at birth, so they will always know what to purchase...oh shi*, are you taping this?"

Pitard promised more details would be announced in another new publication, "Advertising, Surfing, and New England Journal of Medicine Bi-Annual".

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 02:54 AM   #8
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

Default Re: 17 and Motorcyclist to Merge

[Thunderous Applause] Brava! Brava!

Good one Gabe! We can always count on you to liven things up! Just hope Chuck Heston doesn't know where you live, no sense of humour at all!

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:35 AM   #9
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: 17 and Motorcyclist to Merge

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

That's beautiful.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 06:23 AM   #10
Blackwolf
Founding Member

Good,

Maybe now Motorcycle Cruiser will come out once a month instead of once every other month. I just can't figure out why they never came out monthly and raised the price for the subscription.

V3838

Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote