Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-06-2001, 08:33 AM   #61
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: People said MO was crazy, but...

Minime,

Where the heck is the pay site? I paid the $12 and all of the freeloaders get to use this site for free. I'm starting to feel like a fool for dishing out money...

Philip

'00 ZR-7 and still waiting for delivery of the pay site.
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2001, 10:28 AM   #62
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: nobody knows ... and thats the straight truth.

Funny that you say the news is where the "diehards" are and that the news (and interaction in the forums) is the "best thing at MO.. and thats why we come here everyday". I've always thought that too. But on many occasions I have seen posts (in direct response to my questions) from MO staff (minime, blip, etc) saying that the news is only a small portion of their audience.

Well I guess maybe it is, of the overall number of people that visit the site. But for those of us that visit it regularly (every day or more), are really here for the news and their associated discussions. There isn't really enough fresh content other than news to read every day. Even the feedback forum on the reviews is more likely to have fresh stuff regularly.

This is also one of the really significant differences between a web based magazine and a print one. How often have we all read something in a magazine, and wanted to respond to the review, letter, response to letter, etc. Here you can. With a print mag you can, but the chance of the readers actually seeing what you say are very small.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 10:56 AM   #63
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: We all like to be paid for our labour

First I too would like to say that I love all the racing coverage on MO, wherever it may come from. Even though MO thinks that us racing fans are the biggest and loudest group of whiners here at MO. (Maybe that says something about the intensity and emotions of racing fans.)

But you're missing a critical point here, as are some other posts. If my company offered a free service (say a free clinic) and then one day when you showed up to get your free stuff I told you, "Hey guess what, I just can't make a go of this, you're gong to have to pay." You'd probably not be too happy. It isn't that we don't want to pay for what we get, but if it was free before and you survived, what is the problem now?

Also, as others have said, people will only be willing to pay for something they can't get free elsewhere. If I'm going to pay I should get something for it. I like others (who knows how many, or what the total amount was) have donated. I've regretted that decision a few times, when I've had major disagreements with the MO staff (on issues like posting racing results, and using articles from other sites [press releases] without saying where they came from, so I don't go read it again at the original site). I get responses like "well that's what the survey asked for", or "well racing news isn't really our key element". I understand it was a donation, and does entitle me to anything. But I feel after donating that my opinion should count for a little more than those who haven't.

I think we all want to see MO succeed, but like many things that cater to a large audience with different desires, it is going to be hard. Some don't care for sport bikes so they don't get a lot here. Others don't read the news. I for one don't care for all the pictures and movies associated with the reviews. I don't really have the time to watch them at work where I have a high speed connection, and at home they're too slow. Besides, if I want to watch cool stuff on motorcycles, I'd rather watch racing than some hooligans running wild on the streets (I can just drive around my area and watch the Star Boyz if I want that).

Again that is all my opinion, not what others want. But if I start paying, I'm concerned about what the money is spent for (bandwith to show videos, hi-tech equipment to shoot and edit them, etc). I guess some people want it, that's why they do it.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 12:27 PM   #64
Roland
Founding Member

Default Re: nobody knows ... and thats the straight truth.

You bring up a really interesting point here. About the "significant differences between a web based magazine and a print one."

Maybe the realization could be that MO shouldnt be compared to print magazines. What the hell is a web magazine!? Is there even such a thing? You've got online forums, internet communities, and sure.. there are web sites that support respective print magazines. Like MCN and such. Where does that place MO? Trying to emulate a simple rag? WHY!? MO has more to offer then a rag. Im here for the interaction, and i'll come back tommorrow because im part of the community.

Its believable that a majority of the traffic is not news related because MO has a vast archive of material which is very effectively found on search engines. For example, type in your username on google.com and see what comes up. I'll bet if you typed in "kitchen sink" that MO would show up in the results somewhere.

Roland

Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 01:41 PM   #65
minime
Founding Member

To make this short and succinct: we don't yet have a ZRX from Kawi. And motorcyclenews is an off-shoot of one of Britan's largest two-wheeled print books, so they have money and resources we do not. Hence, they get bikes like Muzzy's ZX-12R and more ad dollars to do more things with their site.

My hat's off to them, though. They're doing things in a way that it needs to be done, one that certain US-based magazines cannot seem to figure out despite tons of dollars and resources -- that is to drive your subscription sales with your web site. Simple.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 01:50 PM   #66
pplassm
Founding Member

Default OK, MO dudes, Here's what I want!

1) For some reason, there are stretches of time when I cannot access the news. Something wrong on your end. FIX IT! News is what i check on your site every day.

2) More dirt stuff. Yeah, I ride on the street, tour and sport, but my passion is long, challenging trail rides.

3) Hop ups for old bikes. Like (I'm sure) others out there, I'm approaching middle age, and reliving my youth. I have a bunch of old junk, err, bikes that I'm working on restoring. Tell me what was hot back then! (Maybe you guys are too young and don't know.) Don't forget the dirt bikes!

Give me what I want, and I'll pay.

Pete P.
Old 06-06-2001, 03:00 PM   #67
xandvphyle
Registered Member

I can appreciate that but in this day and age of something so easy to do with the software, an acknowledgement would do them well for PR. if nothing else. When i give a gift, I expect nothing in return but when a solicited fund is given it is only smart business to acknowledge it. Also when I send an e-mail or two you would think....... oh well, I guess it doesn't matter, but in this day of competition and getting up that ladder a little attenion to detail can go a long way
xandvphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:43 PM   #68
Roland
Founding Member

Default hey stevegrab!

What area do you live in?! I live in Akron, OH and thats where the star boyz are from.

That would be pretty amazing to find out your my neighbor or something! haha

Roland
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 02:46 AM   #69
xandvphyle
Registered Member

>>

nope, just a plea for more. and i have the receipt to prove they have my $.
xandvphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 03:21 AM   #70
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Yes, More sex! More Fun!

American bike mags have no balls. Let's get some attitude, like the British mags! Believe it or not, lots of riders LIKE doing wheelies and stoppies, and just screwing around.

Pete P.