Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-17-2001, 10:40 AM   #1
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Default Re: Police Question their Own Radar Gun

160 mph out of a Honda CBR600?

I would like to know what modifications were made to it -- because that is one fast 600!
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2001, 10:51 AM   #2
KTMBigDog
Founding Member

"They don't realize the peril they're in when they're traveling at that speed," Dougherty said.

This is the line that normally kills me when comes to police. They right up a million tickets because the motorcyclist is endangering himself. However in this case I'd have to say that it is justified because if a pedestrian happened to attempt to cross the road there is no way the motorcyclist could avoid him. At 160 mph the motorcyclist is covering 234 ft/sec. The pedestrian wouldn't even know the motorcyclist was coming until it was too late.

KTMBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 11:24 AM   #3
VFRider
Registered Member

What are the chances of actually being able to hit a pedestrian at that speed? Damn the torpedos!

* The opinion expressed above do not neccessarily reflect those of MO...but somehow I think they'd like doing 160mph.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 11:36 AM   #4
Haird
Founding Member

Default 160 in a 40

Let's see. That's only four times the speed limit on that road. No wonder the local alderman (woman?) has asked the police to crack down on motorcyclists. Too bad the rest of us will suffer, too.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 01:47 PM   #5
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

1. The new F4i's will go roughly 156mph (Cycle World, June 2001); figure at least 5% error in the radar gun means plus or minus 8mph, and figuring that most police radar is probably set up to read on the high side of that, I bet he was going 152-156mph, not 160. Maybe he had a pipe and jet kit (he sounds like that type of rider). But that's still exceedingly fast, especially for chicago.

2. This guy is an obvious idiot. No insurance, no plates, no signal? He deserves to get busted.

3. Why in Chicago? He could have at least gone out to boonies, IL if he really wanted to max out.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 03:02 PM   #6
BammBamm
Founding Member

Wouldn't he need at least a mile+ to reach that speed, as well as mucho braking distance. Sounds like confused cops to me. When speed testing bikes, most magazines use two mile+ straights to be able to reach those speeds and stop safely. I can't imagine that there are roads that long in Chicago. Cops lie, and they tend to trust equipment that isn't set up right or used correctly.

All cops are bad, all bikers are good.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 03:56 PM   #7
granny
Founding Member

That's a good point. A quick perusal of the street maps seems to show that there is not sufficient room to get to that speed. The bike was surely close to it's top speed and even though in a 1/4 mile, the bike could perhaps get up to 120 MPH, it takes a bit of time to build up the addtional 35-40MPH as reported (though a bit less distance to stop). The story sounds fishy (and not just because it occured in the proximity of a lake .
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 04:04 PM   #8
NOBRKES
Founding Member

Being from Chicago and driving/riding on LSD many times, I find it hard to beleve anyone could be clocked that fast and still be in one piece, there are just too many curves, cars, and rises - especialy north LSD, and it's a bit optimistic for a 600. He really does get what he deserves when there are 100's of flat, straight & lonely roads just

45 mins out of town.
NOBRKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 07:09 PM   #9
Squiidly
Founding Member

I've ridden on lsd before too and the highest i got was 4mph before the road melted.

Wow imagine 160..

actuualy i ride to daytona doing 160 plus the whole way wich makes a 3 hr trip a 1 1/2 hr one

but the funny part is when i get passed by another bike like i'm standing still.
Squiidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 08:26 PM   #10
MattTinSF
Founding Member

It's hard to believe, but I do think it's quite possible he was doing 160.

There was a famous wreck here in SF when a brainless squid cranked up his 600 in front of his high school to show his buddies what it could do after he did some performance mods. On a city street going up hill, with only about a half mile run, he was doing well above 150 and accelerating when he hit an older couple who turned left in front of him. The estimated speed was calculated based on the damage done. Both he and the couple were instantly killed, with the bike impaling itself into the passenger compartment of their full-sized car (I think it was a Cadillac, actually) and flipping it over. He landed on the other side of the car, which then rolled over on top of him.

His parents actually had the audacity to sue the estate of the couple, claiming they were at fault. The accident investigators hired by both sides concluded he was taveling more than a block per second at that speed, in a residential area. They lost.

Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote