Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-18-2001, 11:58 AM   #21
granny
Founding Member

Default Some squids never grow up

I used to be a 16 year old squid on a Royal Enfield 750 about 35 years ago. I was also racing go-karts and the tracks required helmets so as a consequence I wore a helmet when I rode. I loved that bike (even though it threw rods if you rode it over 100MPH for any length of time). It was ported, the heads were planed and everything that was not essential had been removed - it was a real rat bike - so it was fast for that era. It helped that I only weighed 120lbs at the time (rather than the disgusting 140lbs I now weigh). Riding that bike always made me grin (significantly more so than sex). And to think that I lived to tell of it...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2001, 03:12 PM   #22
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Police Question their Own Radar Gun

Um, you don't really think that the radar gun is getting its speed measurement off the tire, do you? First of all, the top of the tire is covered by the fender, so no reading there. Second, the rubber isn't top radar reflecting material, radar guns usually get their doppler shift measurements off of headlight and other reflectors on the vehicle. Third, the radar wouldn't reflect back to the gun from the top of the tire (ever seen light reflect off the top of the gold ring when the light comes directly in front of it ----->O ?). The math calcs were cute, but c'mon, think before you post people.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 05:29 PM   #23
beerracer
Founding Member

well said.
beerracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 05:32 PM   #24
beerracer
Founding Member

PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!!
beerracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:24 PM   #25
TheKid
Founding Member

I think that it wouldn't hold up unless it was the exact same bike. Otherwise, one could complain about bike manufacturing differences, mods, wear and tear, etc.

The Kid
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 05:09 AM   #26
BammBamm
Founding Member

There was a case in England where a guy on a Fireblade (CBR 900) was clocked at something like 184mph. He proved the bike couldn't do that, but after dealing with the lawyers and the man, he admitted speeding at like 160 mph. I think his license was banned for two years, and he had to pay costs and do community service.

If you are basing your life on the law, you haven't been in a court room to see the perversity carried out every day by lawyers and judges. A biker with what appears to be an outrageous charge against him doesn't stand a chance, unless the judge, and his lawyer are dirty.

With the politicians involved, this guy will get castrated.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 07:12 AM   #27
TCAir
Founding Member

It was a CBR600. Oh OK, I was wondering what a 600FX was.

Was it the Police or the Paper that didn't get the model correct.

They can't read letters after numbers(or in front?) I am glad radar just has digits!!!

"Son you realized I clocked you at...."
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 08:11 AM   #28
neoyetif2
Founding Member

Actually a CBR600FX is the official name for the F4. It is used for the European version also. If you do a search for CBR600FX and a bunch of English and Euro pages show up.

I don't know why the shop would tell them it is a FX instead of a F4 -- and then tell them it has a top speed of a 165 is even stranger.

I don't think I would go to that shop.
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 05:25 AM   #29
banda
Founding Member

Ever seen a brake disc? Shiny metal thing with lots of holes drilled in it. Whirls around on the wheel.

Of course, you may have one of those fancy bikes where the tire just whirls around in space without the need for rims or spokes or brake discs.

C'mon, think before you post, people.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 06:30 AM   #30
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default It has happened before...

This incident must have occured on a sloped road. But that point now seems moot.

I know a guy with a 2000 ZX-6R that lost his licence after being clocked at 162mph in a 55mph zone. Bike top speed tests are based on a 2-way average, not a single run. Do not assume the police are at fault just because somebody's fun was brought to an unpleasant halt.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote