Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-17-2001, 08:42 PM   #11
ERUPTION
Founding Member

Default Re: Police Question their Own Radar Gun

No plates or insurance?

Has anybody put it together that this bike was possibly stolen?

Or... better yet...

The rider had just finished reading a link from MO that riders in England speed like crazy & get only a slap on the wrist because they take their license plates off (or however it goes).

ERUPTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2001, 08:49 PM   #12
ERUPTION
Founding Member

Default Equivalent to Funny Car

I read a report recently that a High Powered Sport Bike is equivalent to Pro-Drag Funny cars & dragsters... with respect to weight & power & torque, blah blah blah.

For example...

In order for a corvette to do what a Hayabusa will do, it would need 10,000 horsepower. (Top fuel dragsters can achieve this horsepower)

For $10,000, you can have the same thrill (not top speed) as a very lucky professional drag racer is able to achieve with the NHRA.

Any thoughts?

PS: Nobody can get to 160 on lakeshore! BUT, if you research radar guns... you will find that a brick wall can go about 90mph - given the right operator error
ERUPTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 03:22 AM   #13
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Equivalent to Funny Car

Do you mean, like.. equivalent power to weight

ratio's or what? Not sure I'm getting that one.

I'm probably missing something... did you

typo and mean to say 1,000hp??...

It hardly takes 10,000 HP to get a car to run

in the mid-9's in the 1/4 ( I think the 'busa

runs like 9.80's?? ).

A very typical Super Gas car (a car-class in NHRA

drag racing) will run low 9's, do 0-to-60mph

in about 1.5 to 2 seconds (in not much more

space than 60ft!), believe it or not.. all on a

naturally aspiriated motor making something

around 800hp.

Now then.. those cars only weigh 2300lbs, granted.

And they have big slicks, tube-chassis.. yadda..

but the point is that even if you added 1000 more

pounds, I don't think you'd need even 1000hp more

to keep it in the 9's... and very probably not

9,000hp more.
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 05:59 AM   #14
banda
Founding Member

...and a big thank you to the Honda dealership for telling the police department that the 600 is capable of 165.

If it were me, I would hope that my dealership would tell the police that the top speed of a CBR1100XX is "oh, 64, maybe 65 miles per hour. Maybe your radar gun needs a tune-up?""
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:14 AM   #15
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Equivalent to Funny Car

I think the confusion is that most people assume that power-to-weight ratio equals acceleration. It's certainly an important factor, but, once you start talking about dragstrip times on anything quicker than a family sedan, traction and other factors become more important.

In other words... yeah, you might need 10,000hp in your Corvette to give you the same peak-power-to-weight ratio as a Hayabusa (I didn't do the calcs, I'm just using the above examlpe), but that does not mean you'd need 10,000hp to make a Corvette run 9.8s in the 1/4 mile. Among the many other factors, the vastly increased traction available to an 800hp Corvette with drag slicks would more than make up for any deficit in peak-power-to-weight that it might have.

Also keep in mind that neither machine is going to be squirting out peak horsepower during the entire run, so comparing peak-power-to-weight ratios is pretty meaningless.

If you just sit there at full throttle spinning the rear tire(s) or flip the 'busa over backwards, even my grandma could beat you down the strip in her Buick.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:55 AM   #16
slider
Founding Member

I am someone who recently moved from LA to Chicago (unfortunately).... The speed limit on Lake Shore Drive is 45mph, and 35mph in some places... Here in chicago 95% of the riders are squids.... Really squidly squids... Most people don't wear helmets here and ride like retards with no leathers or anything else... A lot of the bikes here are not in their original bodywork... If you think that california has bad riders who never ride on racetracks then come to illinois.

what's worse? a squid on a sportbike or one on a harley?

slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 07:40 AM   #17
VFRJunkie
Founding Member

Lake shore runs from N/S along the entire length of Chicago, and that particular stretch up by North Ave is fairly straight with exit/entrance ramps, so no Stoplights. Plenty of room to wind it up.
VFRJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 08:34 AM   #18
VR1000racer
Founding Member

As an electrical engineer in the Law Enforcement industry for the last 13 years. ( I do contract work for MPH Industries, Inc.) propably the leading manufacturer of radar guns in the world, (see them at www.mphindustries.com) ALL radars used in law enforcement are calibrated by a certified testing and calibration facility to the exact speed displayed. This is dictated by law. Also, as the approach or departure angle, (called slant range) increases, the speed displayed on the radar actually reads lower than the actual speed displayed on the radar. Each time an officer goes on shift, he has tuning forks with serial #'s on them, and he tests the radar to ensure that they read the speeds on the tuning forks and logs it.

If their is an error, the radar gun is not allowed to be used.

Also, as a Buell, VR1000, GSXR 750, and MG1100 sport owner, I think he should spend a little time waiting on the trains that run from Waukegan to Chicago and watch the others play and think about Darwin's theory and it's application in his case.
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 09:20 AM   #19
banda
Founding Member

I'm sure that radar guns can be extremely accurate at measuring the relative velocity of the reflective items at which they are aimed. I bet you make a great product.

...but, the best calibrated, most accurate device in the world doesn't ensure correct measurements; the combination of the device and the operator does that.

Have you ever seen one of those unattended radar stations on the side of the road? They have a radar gun and a big display that shows "your speed is..."

Have you ever seen them swing wildly from 26 mph to 37 mph and back again, higgldy piggldy, when you're the only one on the road? I have. It's probably because the transmitter/receiver is pointed at the wrong thing. But a police officer could never point a radar gun at the wrong thing, could he?

But a motorcycle is only traveling at one speed, right? So you can just use the maximum reading, right?

Think about how a wheel works. If you are traveling at 10 mph, the part of your wheel that is in contact with the ground is moving at 0 mph (unless you are spinning the tires or skidding) that means the top of each wheel has to travel at 20 mph in order to get around the axle and make it back to the ground. So, the top half of each wheel on your vehicle (spokes, brake rotors, tire, rim, whatever) is traveling at a linear velocity that is anywhere between 1 and 2 times as fast as the bike is travelling as a whole.

So what part of the bike is being clocked by the radar gun? The operator controls that, not the equipment manufacturer.

banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 12:56 PM   #20
LW
Founding Member

If they can prove that an F4 will not do 160 mph, from the manufacturer or private tests, could this be a way for the individual to get out of this?

If the bike won't go 160 the radar gun must be incorrect. Would this stand up in court?
LW is offline   Reply With Quote