Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-03-2001, 01:17 AM   #41
ricci
Founding Member

Default Re: The U.N. will Design Your Next Motorcycle

hey i stay in india, and the most common motorbike here is 100 cc 4 stroke with just u tiny 7.5 bhp.even lawn mowers in the USA are more powerful!!!

so u guys complain about 100bhp limits....u are lucky not u dont live in asia....but this thong looks bad , i mean if u want a 160bhp motorbike and u have money for it, well then the UN should have absolutely no objection.

if u want and can afford a 250 bhp bike ,no problem either, its your money, your life.and why dont they ban Ferrari and Porsche and McLaren ,these cars are 300kph + cars, and as dangerous as any R1, GSX-R1000,CBR929RR FIREBLADE

,ZX-12R or any such superbike....well ban them too!!!!its just a massive conspiracy by old grand-mas who are too chicken too ride such bikes.hope they die a wretched death...for denying riders their share of life.
ricci is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2001, 01:31 AM   #42
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

So, its ok for Americans to make decisions for the rest of the world is it?

God forbid that we should get CA standards and what about American obsession with liability - if anything is going to distroy powerful motorbikes it is that. Why is it that the land of the free has such a poor choice of bikes for sale?

The EU are a bunch of interferring busybodies but they will have a very hard time getting HP restrictions passed, even in the EU. What chance the UN doing the same Worldwide? NONE.
Not_Anonymous_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 01:33 AM   #43
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Lowerpower bikes are more dangerous

According to accident statistics in the EU
Not_Anonymous_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 04:17 AM   #44
doohan
Founding Member

I worked for the United Nations in New York for over 8 years...and if they go about making desicions for the motorcycling community the same way they make them for the international community, it will take years and years for the language to be agreed upon for one single issue. It's tough getting 180 nations to agree on a WORD

let alone an entire standard.
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 04:59 AM   #45
Tommy
Founding Member

You're missing my point. I'm not bent on wrapping myself around a tree and letting society pick up the pieces. I'm actually a very cautious rider. I'm just saying that it's not right for any government to dictate which products we should be allowed to purchase in a free market system. It's okay for them to stipulate that reasonable safety devices are available for us to use if we choose, but to arbitrarily pick a speed or horsepower limit and say that, regardless of rider experience or technological advances, the public can't own anything faster or more powerful is wrong. I understand that there are some benefits to establishing global emissions and safety standards. The Manufacturers will only have to conform to one set of standards instead of building different versions of the same model for different markets. The problem is that some countries have far more restrictive safety and performance requirements than the United States and it's likely the U.N. will cater to the lowest common denominator (i.e. most restrictive) when setting the standards. It's also likely that their jurisdiction will grow over time and become even more invasive. The U.N. is a dysfunctional group of politicians who couldn't care less about our rights or desires, as riders and they shouldn't be allowed to control this market.

Also...my wife actually likes my ischial tuberosities.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 06:06 AM   #46
Poser
Founding Member

Yeah, they really make me jealous, too. Ban 'em I say. Ban 'em before I buy one. THAT will solve all of my problems!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 06:36 AM   #47
speighd
Founding Member

Default Re: Quite right....

You might also try the Libertarian party.
speighd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:24 AM   #48
TCAir
Founding Member

Default The U.N. will RESTRICT Your Next Motorcycle

Let's not forget the zx12R being restricted to only run 300kmh. I don't want someone telling me what to do with my money by eliminating options. I guess the days of 70's and 80's for cars are here today for bikes. Anyone know where we can start stock piling cylinder heads, computers, and good carbs at?
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:42 AM   #49
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Article Summary

Standardization good. Restriction bad. UN: Brave crusaders for human rights world wide, or puppet of the Illuminati?
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:46 AM   #50
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

this is even funnier cause elephants are afraid of mice!
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote