Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-02-2001, 09:38 AM   #21
john
Founding Member

Default Re: The U.N. will Design Your Next Motorcycle

Pacer, I do not think so. The manufacturers choose to sell bikes like the cbr400rr in europe, and not the US. I believe the motorcycling market is so competitive right now that we would be offered an expanded range of models.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2001, 10:07 AM   #22
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default This Just In

UN Undersecretary for Transportation Khammie Redd has issued the following statement: "Motorcyclists of the world: As of July, 2004, all motorcycles will be restricted to 25 horsepower and will run on diesel fuel. We have decided that this is the best compromise between the desires of rich Americans and the needs of poor Namibians. In the interests of safety, all motorcycles will also be equipped with seat belts, leg guards, roll bars, seating for seven, and two extra wheels. We feel that this is the best compromise between the desires of Western riders for sporty handling and the needs of rural Asian riders to carry their extended families with them on trips to the market."

When asked where riders might write to add their own input, Khammie Red replied, "The UN is not a democracy. Save your opinion for someone who carers."
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:14 AM   #23
MattTinSF
Founding Member

Reality check: Mexico!?! Yeah, right, that must be why there are so many illegal aliens crossing the border into Mexico every day. I love the Baja, but you can't even own property down there unless you're a citizen, or a corporation. And just try to see what happens if you start to stir up trouble by talking about the government taking away your "rights."

Face it, the US is as free as it gets in this world, and our government is among the least corrupt in this world (albiet, still very corrupt), and there is no indication that either party has any inclination to let the UN set policy here. Yet, all it takes is one tiny little article like this one to get all the yahoos whining about their "rights."

I'm sick of it. We get the government we deserve. Politicians get away with what they do because we let them; 90% of the population, at least, pays almost no attention to what goes on in our government halls. Want to change it? Get out and educate and organize; find decent candidates and get them elected; work to get corruption out of our political process, which right now is openly for sale to the highest bidder.

But above all, quit wasting my time and your's with ALL THIS USELESS !
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:20 AM   #24
static
Founding Member

Umm. Aprilia already produces all their bikes to the strictest world standards (Switzerland and the country of California) and noone seems to talk a lot of trash about them. Just quietly cut the pink wire.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:27 AM   #25
FLSTF
Founding Member

100 hp limit? 700 lb motorcycles? Can't run 180mph off the dealer floor? Damn, sounds like nervana to me. The only problem I see is that Harley can't meet the world wide demand for it's product already. The last thing we need is a forced demand... I hope they keep things like they are. I prefer to ride a Harley because I personally want too, don't wan't others to ride them because Big Brother makes them.
FLSTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:32 AM   #26
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Boy, do you guys miss the point!!!

No, I didn't say I have a right to a 160HP bike. But I do have a right to be represented. I (we) vote for the members of US Congress. As such we have a voice. If we disagree with a proposed law or policy we can successfully lobby to have those laws and policies changed. Last time I looked, I could not for members of the UN. It's similar to taxation without representation and I believe we agree that's not so great.

VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:40 AM   #27
VFRider
Registered Member

I do beleive that the Canadian Firearms Act of 1996 banned private ownership of well more than half of Canada's legally registered pistols. Any handgun of .32 or .25 caliber and any handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.14") or less--more than 553,000 legally registered handguns--became illegal with the stroke of a pen.

The second phase of the law requires a government-issued firearms owner license. As of Jan. 1, 2001, anyone who owns a shotgun or rifle but did not apply for a license faces five years in prison and a $2,000 fine. These licenses are also required to buy a long gun, or if you just want to buy a box of rifle cartridges.

The third phase of the new law goes into effect Jan. 1, 2003, when each individual long gun must be registered.

Now you tell me what freedom you are lacking. Perhaps the freedom from an overly intrusive government.

VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:45 AM   #28
MattTinSF
Founding Member

B*TCHING!
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 11:33 AM   #29
Tommy
Founding Member

m'kay...regulations are bad...

This type of regulation tends to have a homogenizing effect. I'm getting really tired of bureaucrats trying to protect me from myself. We all know what's at stake when we straddle a motorcycle and are accountable (or should be) for what and how we ride. If I buy a new GSXR-1000 and loop it on the way home, that's my own stupid fault...and it's also my right. Someone else should not have the right to make that decision for me (this also applies to cars, boats, seatbelts, and helmets). If the manufacturers are willing to build them, then we should have the right to buy them without bureaucratic interference. Also...has anyone thought about how much this will cost us? Conformance is rarely cheap.

Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 12:16 PM   #30
mike_w
Founding Member

VF,

No, we lack the freedom from gun control laws. Yes, we have stricter gun control laws here, including much tighter limits on handguns. As for the new legislation, I support licensing, but oppose registration. At the same time, we have one of the highest rates of private gun onwerhsip in the world (maybe second to the USA, but I don't have a source on that), and significantly lower levels of violent crime. That's a trade off.

All governments including the US one limit freedom to some degree (speed limits, criminal law, etc.). It's about ensuring that these limits do not unnecessarily compromise core personal freedoms. If you want an example of an onerous US attack on personal freedom, let's discuss the "war on drugs", or restrictions on citizens travelling to certain countries.

Do we have more regulations here. Yes, maybe a few (gun control and seat belt laws are the only ones to come to mind). As disussed in the last paragraph, there are also examples of US restrictions on freedom that we don't suffer.

While I am a gun owner, I do find the US idea of firearms as a constititional right odd. I'm not saying it's wrong - it's part of your history. However, it's not part of mine.

As my Quebec brothers say, Vive La Difference!

Mike
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote