Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-02-2001, 09:10 AM   #11
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Boy, do you guys miss the point!!!

It's so easy to be fearful of global regulations and relinquishing local control when it's motorcycles, but where were you when the WTO was busy making decisions that effect us every day? Nobody railing against that, and trust me, a lot of stuff the WTO does is definately against the interests of working folks like you and me. So why villify the UN, which is a much more accountable organization than the WTO?

Stop assuming the worst- global trade, economics and government are the wave of the future, good or bad, like it or not. All we can do is accept it and make our voices heard so we have a hand at shaping it.

And that's the good news. As members of the world's largest economy, we 'Mericuns will have a collosal voice in how these regulations take form, especially if we keep buying bikes at the rate we have been over the last 10 years. And as long as we let it be known that we WON'T buy restricted motorcycles with leg protectors, the manufacturers will push hard to kill such regulation. Note that european HP limits are voluntary- for the most part, the consumers in those countries tolerate them.

Think of the advantages of all motorcycles being "world" models. Want a Raptor, Varadero, or RS250? Just order it from your local dealer! Since it's approved for every market, there's no reason why we couldn't have any bike we wanted. Great for production racing, as well.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2001, 09:12 AM   #12
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: The U.N. will Design Your Next Motorcycle

Does this mean I'll finally be able to buy Japan-model and British-model bikes in the US? There's a lot out there in the world that I can't get here, especially in the standard/sport-standard market.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:31 AM   #13
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Boy, do you guys miss the point!!!

You just don't get it.

"Stop assuming the worst- global trade, economics and government are the wave of the future, good or bad, like it or not. All we can do is accept it..."

I'm a God-fearing, gun-toting American. I also study history, which is why I will fight BS like this all that I can. Perhaps you live in a country where your rights have already been taken from you (Canada, Australia, England, etc), or worse you are an American that is willing to give up the rights that our forefathers paid for in blood. Eitherway, please get to a library and do some reading. It should help with your stupidity problem.

VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:43 AM   #14
CBR1000F
Founding Member

VFRider,

Stupidity and ignorance are two different things... And I don't think name-calling will help here. Since you suggested that he go to a library, which is where you go to correct ignorance, perhaps what you really meant is "It should help with your ignorance problem", eh?
Old 05-02-2001, 10:10 AM   #15
mike_w
Founding Member

VFRIDER,

Well, I'm a gun toting, motorcyle riding, rally car driving, airplane flying, sail and powerboating Canadian. Exactly which of my rights have been taken away? I don't fear God, but, I'm not sure what that has to do with freedom or lack thereof.

Do some research.

Mike
mike_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:14 AM   #16
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default High horsepower - makes me mad too

All those 160 horsepower bikes make me mad to... cuz I only got 'bout 130
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:24 AM   #17
Pacer
Founding Member

It may not be that great. Instead of offering you all those great models they may just neuter them down to the standards of the most conservative market.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:25 AM   #18
Neal
Founding Member

I just cant believe anybody would think this could be positive.Why oh why are our governments signing agreements allowing the UN,arguably the most politicized,dysfunctional organization in the world(yes,you could make a good case for the WTO)to dictate regulations that could severely affect our freedoms.My paternal grandfather was an "outlaw"in Russia prior to escaping to the US.Since then we have been relatively law abiding.....with the increasing meddling of the government in personal freedoms combined with the abrogation of law making by our government to international organisations,Im afraid my son and grandsons may well be outlas again.

Unfortunately,I dont know if their will be a country for them to escape to

that puts a priority on personal freedom.Maybe Mexico ?!

NAS
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:34 AM   #19
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Hey there VFRider, gotta agree with my countryman MikeW. I'm riding my little unrestricted (faster and polutes more that an american GSXR of the same year), GSXR, firin' my rather large guns, able to buy two stroke street legal bikes (course no one sells them in NA anymore cuz of the "free US of A" stoopid emissions rules designed for places where you squish a billion people into one wee spot), God fearin', rock climbin (able to bolt any where I please... ooops, that's for a different discussion group!), glacier crawlin, back country skiin' dude who can purchase Big Rock beer!

So there.

;-p

Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:34 AM   #20
john
Founding Member

VFR, America wasn't founded to guarantee its citizens rights. It was founded more to insure that a certain few are not taken away. If you really think that, as an American, you have the right to a 160hp bike, you are wrong. The constitution has something called an "implied power" clause, giving our government the right to exercise duties not labeled specifically in the constitution. If Congress deems that 160hp bikes are unsafe in america, and a 100hp limit is imposed, then too bad for you. They did not take away your rights. Maybe you should pay attention to modern law as well as history.