Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-01-2001, 08:29 AM   #1
gizmop
Founding Member

Default Re: No Dot-Bombs Here

Gee, I wonder how many of those failed dot.com companies begged its "customers" for donations like MO does?

Since things are going so well for you guys now can you please remove the banner ads asking everyone to give money?
gizmop is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2001, 08:39 AM   #2
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default I wish

I wish they didn't have profanity filters here. You freeloading waste of space, guess what, bandwidth costs money, equipment costs money, bike reviews cost money, employees cost money, all so you can come read about it for free? Go take some coffee from home to Barnes and Noble and get bread crumbs in all the magazines like the fools I see there.

Cheap bum
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:47 AM   #3
gizmop
Founding Member

Default Re: I wish

Suck my ass. I subscribe to many motorcycle pubs, all of which, in my opinion, do a better job at testing bikes than MO.

There are many other online sources for motorcyle information, NONE of them beg for money. Also, see all those little banner ads flashing about -- THAT is how they pay their bills, selling advertising. You really don't think that the few dollars people are tossing their way is really paying the bills?

Lastly, it was MO themselves touting how well they were doing in light of the fact that many web-based companies were going out of business. Companies that are doing well don't need to panhandle for pennies.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
Chester
Founding Member

I really like the Barnes and Noble comment. I agree, it costs money to run a company like this, it's not free. And just because they are doing good doesnt mean their costs have gone to zero.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:45 AM   #5
unclzim
Founding Member

I agree and don't mind paying for a product as good

as this. However, you can expect the kind of response from above when you live a country where being stupid can make you a millionaire and the majority of Americans are looking for something for nothing.
unclzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default So, don't send that donation check, then?

Or is it that flood of reader checks that have put matters in the "going relatively well" column?
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:51 AM   #7
gizmop
Founding Member

MO doesn't do as well testing bikes as any of the many motorcycle pubs to which I subscribe. Why should I pay for an inferior product? There are many online motorcycle news sources from which a person can get the same info that MO provides, yet NONE of them panhandle for pennies.

It was MO who declared how well they were doing in light of the many web-based companies which had failed. They are doing well because of those little flashing banner ads you see all over the place. Do you really think the money they receive from begging its readers is paying the bills?? Please....

You are the supreme example of whom PT Barnum was referring when he said "There's a sucker born every minute."

Old 05-01-2001, 11:10 AM   #8
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: So, don

Whats wrong with readers cheques?!? Have you ever complained about purchasing a newspaper, a magazine (97% ads by the way) or any other piece of information??? I'm a cheap sob and probably shouldn't be posting cuz I haven't donated... but I can post so I will. But I WON"T be complaining about any requests for cash. If ya don't like it, go away.

Hmm, where's my cheque book...
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 11:18 AM   #9
marcel_g
Founding Member

Hey, if I can spend $10 a month on Fast Bikes plus maybe Sport Rider sometimes, then I can donate a couple of bucks to this magazine, even if their articles are a lot more conservative than FB.
http://aporia.brainmade.com
marcel_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 12:08 PM   #10
blip
Founding Member

If our articles were any more "edgy" or controversial, I doubt we'd be getting as many (or any) testbikes.

This is the US, the country as a whole -- not just the motorcycle OEMs -- are much more uptight than the UK. And until the day when we're 100% reader supported and buying bikes we need, we can't write things like they get away with in the UK, or show nudity with the bikes.

Then again, we don't have tiered licensing schemes and, for now at least, gas is (relatively) cheap.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote