Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-01-2001, 12:32 PM   #11
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: So, don

Also, our pubs serve beer properly chilled. Enough with that luke-warm bit already, eh? When i want something room-temperature I'll go home to my girlfriend.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2001, 12:52 PM   #12
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

There ia an old joke amongst owners of old Brit sportscars:

Why do Brits drink their beer warm?

Because they have Lucas refridgerators.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 01:43 PM   #13
sqidbait
Founding Member

And be thankful we have cheaper bike prices here:

Honda VFR in UK 7,999 pounds ( 11,476.17 USD )

Honda VFR in US 9,499 USD

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 02:00 PM   #14
AstonMartin
Founding Member

Default Re: No Dot-Bombs Here

Uhhh..I tought this conversation is over...

I guess I missed a lot here since I wasn't around for a while.

Americans serve their Budweiser chilled ( which is not even theirs...), and as we all know Budweiser is not even considered as a beer.

Minime, I hope your girlfriend didn't read your comment about her...

Anyway, living in Europe is better, but here you live on the "land of free"...which is good. Or not.

Oh...and donate! That's important. Remember...this is still our site. I hope.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 03:49 PM   #15
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Re: I wish

One of my favorite daily stops, DailyRadar.com, closed its doors forever yesterday. Everything appeared to be running smoothly and then BOOM they were gone.

At least MO is searching for a way to not let that happen before going belly up all of a sudden. In light of what's happened recently, I can understand MO's donations thing much easier.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 05:17 PM   #16
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Kozmo

My sponsor, SF Moto&Scooter, was servicing Kozmo.com's fleet of scooters when they declared chapter 11. Now they will mechanic's lien 22 or so of these chinese orange POS's.

Here in San Francisco, the sound of dying dot-coms has been almost audible. Office space is appearing all over, mountains of computer equipment appear by the side of the road, and the last day of the month sees moving vans in the residential neighborhoods.

Bu they fooled us all pretty good, huh? I lost four or five grand in "safe" mutual funds, and I know plenty of other folks who lost much more.

I mean, my God, Kozmo had no money-making component AT ALL! They were just building their "brand recognition."

So where did the money go? "Seared Ahi tuna and cells phones" is what my friend Ian said, and I am inclined to agree, with the addition of cheap orange scooters. Let's hope we're a little more suspicious the next time we're sold the "next big thing."

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 05:19 PM   #17
Gabe
Registered Member

But their prices are out the door- tax, set-up, etc. included. Some bikes are a lot more, though- FZ-1, for instance.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 05:33 PM   #18
cahoona
Founding Member

http://www.lakehillmotors.com/ The best out the door prices I have found.Always under retail.
cahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:06 PM   #19
deanmass
Founding Member

Default Re: No Dot-Bombs Here

I wonder how many places have to put up with freaking whiners. They did not force donations, they asked. The ones that could afford it and value the site donated, and the ones who chose not too did not. I have used this analogy before, but ALL OF US probably piss away 2 bucks per day on BS (coffee, pop, cigs,etc.). Why not throw $10.00 at MO..? Worthy of it, good guys, nice site. WTF is the problem? the DOT com world has been built on expectation of profit. They are now facing the reality that they need to produce. This is just a weed out period. Hopefully good sites will not perish ( this one, but too bad about Radar)..I have pulled so much useful stuff off the web for free that if I have to toss in once in awhile, I will, and will be happy about it. Remember, the web, IMHO, is the single most important thing to happen to communications since the telephone or radio. Ride the wave, and enjoy. Support the good guys...And stop the whining....
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 08:28 PM   #20
lanesplitter
Founding Member

Default Re: I wish

I sell a lot of those magazines and newspapers to B&N and Borders.

They dont care if anyone buys them or not.Because each and every one on the shelf sells several $3.00 coffees and a few over priced muffins.

Way more profit than they could make off the publication.
lanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote