Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-20-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
guzziguy
Founding Member

Default Re: Americans for Responsible Recreational Access

Thanks for posting this story. It is essential to the economies of the rural areas that border the affected areas that this piece of last minute Clinton flotsam not be implemented. Certainly some areas deserve protection, but not every area. This rule has not gone through the entire process and needs to be carefully reviewed. Many of the allegedly "roadless areas" have numerous old overgrown logging roads and are not really roadless.
guzziguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2001, 07:58 PM   #2
ERUPTION
Founding Member

Default Recreational Access

I am just as enthusiastic about protecting the environment as anybody...but... I am mature enough to understand that the best way to protect our resources is to make them accessible - otherwise, why bother? People can't understand or support the enjoyment of this country's National Recreation Areas unless they have access to them.

Let's let GOP's buddies strip mine the places we love and give a couple of hundred people a job for a year or two. I lived near the west coast in the 70's when oil rigs would spoil miles of beaches and dozens of weekends. Ronnie Ray Gun damn near bankrupted the state and it was pretty much a trash heap when he left for DC. Just look who doen't dare take his tax cut campaign to the west coast, the very person who promised price controls on energy costs for California - and then reneged.. G-W.

Oh, I'm not happy with the Democrats either... enacting a policy of "People are the Disease, So Keep The Hell Out" as an easy and cheap way out of protecting the environment. Just pushed it under the rug...

I applaud the organization's effort. I am a bit skeptical. I would like to see links posted of reputable websites (news organizations) verifying that the above is a genuine effort - and not another fancy website.

PS

Millions of Gallons of Crude Oil potentially yielded by Arctic National Wildlife Reserve: 42,000,000 (The White House)

Millions of Gallons of Crude Oil Saved if SUV's sold in the US gained only 3 MPG: 49,000,000 (The Sierra Club)

ERUPTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 05:21 AM   #3
nebo
Registered Member

Hey your mother wants you to go back inside. Time for a nap and prozac.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:31 AM   #4
petesbween
Founding Member

Default Re: Recreational Access

Eruption, you wrote:

"I would like to see links posted of reputable websites (news organizations) verifying that the above is a genuine effort - and not another fancy website. "

Check out http://nohvcc.org/

Not a formal news organization, this rider-driven non-for-profit has toiled quietly for 10 years to preserve areas to ride. Their members are reps from riding clubs around the US who give up many weekends of riding to repair, rehab, and yes, even close off sensitive trail in cooperation with the USFS and BLM. They are recognized nationally as the voice OHV recreation.

Their members have participated in good faith with local and regional efforts to implement "Managed Use" rather than "No Use". These efforts included opponents and skeptics of OHV use. (You may be surprised to learn that many Sierra Club members support managed use.)

It is unfortunate that the Clinton Admin. politicized the process by throwing away years of effort, invalidating work on both sides. "No Use" extremists had the ear of the national policy-makers and last year the "debate" degenerated along polarized, political lines.

Now, if you want to ride responsibly off road, you are linked with efforts to drill for oil in the Arctic Refuge, relaxed drinking water standards, and the trashing of the Global Warming Treaty. Does this make any sense?

Responsible OHV riding is a legitimate use of public lands and non-threatened areas should be set aside and managed for this purpose. User fees are not unacceptable if applied fairly.

Sorry for the lecture, its just that if every place to ride is closed, off road riding will not go away, it will just become illegal. OHVs will still be ridden on private and public property, and since the feds put virtually no money into enforcement, a far greater harm to the environment can result from unmanaged use on public lands.

petesbween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 08:30 AM   #5
hackfu
Founding Member

Don't worry about it. In about, 50-70 years, we'll all be dead. You included.

If you would just set your threshold lower you'd see all your posts. But I guess you're not gonna see this message anyway. C'est la vie.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 04:11 PM   #6
Haga
Founding Member

MEANWHILE, ROSSI WON HIS FIRST 500CC GP POLE AND CORSER GOT POLE IN THE MODIFIED "WET SUPERPOLE" AT PHILLIP ISLAND. THANKS MO.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 04:52 PM   #7
BurningSquid
Founding Member

Default Re: Recreational Access

Hmmmmmmm.....I lived in CA for a LONG time and I seem to remember Reagan was one of the FEW governors to keep CA in the BLACK.

Also if you read up on the deregulation of the power companies in CA, most of the legislation was sponsored by Democrats.

Eruption...you seem to be contradicting yourself when you claim not to be pleased with the Democrats yet post unproven claims by the Sierra Club. BTW, I attended a rally by the Sierra Club. The most represented vehicle owned by those liberal tree huggers is....yes...an SUV.

Dude, don't straddle the fence. It makes you look like a dope. Personally I like GW. He's ready to undo the Clinton Land grab. Most of the things I like to do, GW is not out to stop. As a matter of fact, I can't really think of anything the Dems can offer me.

Ask the Sierra Club how much crude oil we can save if every motorcyclist didn't rejet his bike.

BurningSquid is offline   Reply With Quote