Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-06-2001, 07:45 PM   #11
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Shocking Immaturity: Part Deux

Huh huh huh.... Huh huh huh... Burnouts and wheelie are cool.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2001, 07:46 PM   #12
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Juvenile? Yeah? So what's your point? If bikes weren't fun, you wouldn't ride one.
Old 04-07-2001, 08:57 AM   #13
Haga
Founding Member

What is this?? We're paying for these stupid stunts by the new staff of MO squids?!?!?! I am now 100% not going to pay. Thanks for showing us how our money's being spent. For those who didn't see these clips, the GSXR1000's tail section was apparently damaged during this stupidity... as evidenced by someone saying MO would be charged for something and then the rear seat cowling being pounded on with a fist. Also, Mr. Avis reports the burnouts being $50 a piece. Which according to the just below $12 figure for subscription, means for every 4 or so people who donate or subscribe, MO does a burnout with your money. Of course, that doesn't include the fee to get these cheap tires(gas, etc.), or shop costs to have them mounted, balanced and all those fun things. Now, figure all this idiocy goes on everytime they get a sportbike and probably cruisers with enough juice(I seem to recall even the bikes compared to the Blast were mentioned as having been wheelied and burned-out). All that cash and still no 600 shoutout conclusion.

The videos are great and all but they do not show anything about the testing procedures or the thoughts of those testing at the time(like ride a decent set of laps, then tape your thoughts). They show that MO has to room to call anyone else a squid. Video is also not exclusive to MO as they would have us believe. Motorcyclist gives it away for free on their show on Speedvision, which admittedly is a network with a fee. However, MO doesn't offer race coverage(the moving pictures kind) and other things found on Speedvision. I've already noted the content thing elsewhere... it's usually identical to SportRider's and MotorCyclists because it's probably correct and accurate. Cycle World(while far less objective) also has free content here on the web and it's word for word what's in the print issue, only it's spread out over the month and minus the letters and some columns. It's a lot to think about before you open your wallets.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 01:25 PM   #14
hackfu
Founding Member

We had two GSX-R1000s out that day. One was crashed, one was not. Thankfully, the bike that was not crashed had the Rennsports on, so we were able to continue with the track test.

The "we're going to be charged for this" refrence was not toward the motorcycle in question (the functional GSX-R1000, or the crashed unit for that matter), rather it was directed at the large amount of rubber "spray" that was relased while accomplishing the burnout. Most rental facilities request that you "return" their rentals in a condition in which it was first rented. That is a very reasonable request.

These videos are only a teaser as to what lies in store. I would like to personally apologize for not bringing the proper camera equipment to the track that day. We have three video cameras (thanks to donations, the classifieds and ad money, in that order) and I neglected to bring the one that allows us to use the onboard camera gear (which I did bring). Nevertheless, you make due with what you have. Such is life.

Also, burn-outs do not "cost" anything. I would like to apologize on behalf of Mr. Avis' comment. That comment was made in jest. If it was recieved in any other way, that reception was purely incidental.

The tires, mounting, balancing and other incedental costs would have to be paid regardless if we did burn-outs or not. To state that because we recieved a certain amount of donations, we can do burn-outs is absurd. We'd have done the burnouts regardless if we had money or not!

I'm sure there is bound to be numerous spelling and grammatical errors in my post. Tough.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 01:48 PM   #15
moike_the_squid
Founding Member

God bless wheelies and burnouts, and God bless Motorcycle Online.

Every now and then some ponce tsk-tsk's down his nose from the

saddle of his saftey-tape-clad K-Bike after I roll a couple figure-8

darkies on the R1100S and makes a snide comment about my

amazing skill at transfering money to the asphalt...

It's my money, my tires, my fun, and my motorbike. Go get bent

reflective-vest-boy. Come back when you can bang a decent mono.

Thanks again, MO.

-Mike-

Prez, Squidly's Online.
moike_the_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 04:06 PM   #16
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

1. Burnouts and wheelies are the gold chains and ugly haircuts of biking: fine for streetcorner attitude, fun once in a while for sheer adolescent indulgence, largely pointless in the real world.

2. It's Saturday night. I thought this thing was supposed to be posted yesterday. Even if we all know by now that the Suzuki's motor stomps the rest in power contests, how does it match in the real world?

3. Where the hell is part two of the 600 contest, anyway? Are test bikes that hard to come by this month? The snow has melted, baseball's started, it's time to know what's going on.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 04:49 PM   #17
BritRider
Founding Member

The least you guys could do is get together and get your stories straight, or am I missing something here. You claim that you are the only bike reviewers to not crash the Gixxer, then lo and behold you did, or was this after your mighty claim?
BritRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 01:24 AM   #18
fernandopan
Founding Member

Why do you treat these bikes so badly?

If you don´t like them, give them to me!
fernandopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 06:40 AM   #19
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Yo MO, you are really screwing up here. You promise a story, then don't deliver. This ain't the first time.

Post the story when it is ready, but DO NOT promise things you can't deliver. Your credibility is sinking, and there is no freaking way I am donating whilst this sort of thing goes on.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 07:44 AM   #20
hackfu
Founding Member

Sorry 'bout that. Like I said, we had two GSX-R1000's present. Another magazine crashed our test bike. We split the track with another magazine that day. So technically, that statement is correct. Motorcycle Online has not crashed a GSX-R1000. If your buddy borrowed your bike and crashed it, would anyone say that you crashed it?

Hope that smooths things out.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote