Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
svtech
Registered Member

Default Re: Denver Passes Loud Motorcycle Ordinance

Yet another idiotic posting to what is supposed to be a news forum.

A city will now require EPA compliance.

What, Denver had a prior exemption?
svtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

This is some bull-$#@* legislation here. Try finding a replacement exhaust for a vintage bike that has the EPA seal of approval. This law says, in effect, that you may have only a stock muffler on your bike. If it ever needs to be replaced for any reason, you're screwed unless you can find another factory can.

The way I see this playing out is if your bike is reasonably quiet and you're not breaking any other laws, you'll likely not be hassled. But it will give them one more thing to write you up for if you are stopped (by a LEO) for any reason. Kind of like the seatbelt laws.

Fortunately I don't live in Denver, but I hope this doesn't catch on.

Now let's hear it from the people who say the motorcycling community needs to be self policing, etc, so we don't see more legislation of this nature.

silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Deja vu?

Please refer to Ashley's well laid-out argument for self control:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcjade/...wn/index.motml

Is Ashley the REAL great motocycle prophet (GMP)?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Gritboy
Founding Member

Time to create a tool to "stamp" any exhaust so it appears "legal."
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
msilverstein
Founding Member

We've had self-policing for years which is why there is a loud pipes problem. The loud-pipes bunch brought this on themselves (and everyone else). As is the case with most government regulations there is usually some jerk or group of jerks that ruins things for the rest of the population.
msilverstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
Gritboy
Founding Member

Actually, the law could be more than just compliance with Federal regs, so it's cause for concern if it complicates adding after-market exhausts.

Without seeing laws finer details, I'm not sure what the Denver law means by stamp. Is it a stamp you get at the DMV after passing a noise test or do the after-market exhaust manufacturers have to add the stamp at their end? If the latter, if you want after-market pipes in Denver you're screwed, because few, if any, exhaust manufacturers are going to make special Denver-only stamped pipes. If just a DMV sound check is required for the stamp that's more rational.

No other US cities require a special stamp to my knowledge, as it's usually up to an officer's discretion as to what it too loud based on Federal guidelines and common sense. Seems to me Denver's perhaps approaching the problem with red tape that won't stop modders, but will put more cash in the city's pocket and not necessarily save the ears of its citizens. After all, the noise violation is already enforceable without the new law if I'm understanding the Federal regs.

Case in point: I find it odd that it's $500 for a first time offense -- more than a speeding ticket or other lesser traffic ticket that actually endangers lives -- so the law seems dead set on killing after-market exhausts on all bikes completely and generating revenue for the city.

Mind you, I was a noise offender way back with riding a 2-stroke RD350 with seriously loud pipes (back in the '80s). I got pulled over and given a "fix it" ticket in SF. I did put the stock pipes back on and the cops were happy. Even with inflation it was no where near the ludicrous $500 first offense fine. That's just absurdly expensive. Ironically, I now ride a WeeStrom with a stock pipe, so it's quiet as church mouse and most of the time I prefer it -- I do miss the sound of that roaring Muzzy on my old ZX9R though.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default But...

For the past year I've been reading how the EPA is cracking down on dealers, motorcycle shops, and manufacturers for making, selling, or installing any modifications to motorcycles that don't meet EPA specs for pollution or noise. It's been the talk of the industry, with fears being raised of thousands of small shops going out of business or being fined out of existence. I wonder if the Denver folkers even talked to the EPA.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
boru4761
Registered Member

Roger that.

Mofos,

Please post pics of said stamp ASAP. 20% for fellow Mofos.

- B
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

I believe they are referring to the EPA stamp, which is technically required on any and all stock mufflers for motorcycles.

It should state it has passed the 80dB(A) standard.

They use a special test range and the motorcycle is moving when they "certify" the mufflers in question. It is a real PITA.
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
obandoj
Founding Member

Loud pipes save lives! Yeah and they will legislate us, the real enthusiast, right off the roads.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote