Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #151
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: French value engineers over lawyers thus nuke plants are cool

Urban Renewal-Renewal..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #152
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: What is the minimum payment on $430 billion

Is that on installments, or a one-time deal?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #153
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Motorcycles Defying Speed Cameras

Dem dere movin' picture machine'll steal your soul! Dere the devil, Bobby Boucher!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 AM   #154
kiwi_steve
Registered Member

Default Re: French value engineers over lawyers thus nuke plants are cool

Arrogant? As a person that may well be true, but thats rather more difficult to justify when talking about the architecture! It could just as easily be said that the 'destructive and dehumanising effects' stem from the entreprenurial developer driven adaption of Le Corbusier's ideals to serve an individual profit at any cost mentality. Many of the urban renewal projects that you cite failed due to a combination of poor construction (poor quality system-built schemes in the UK especially) and a failure to provide the context or services necessary to support the large population housed in these schemes (shops, community facilities etc). This was often due to the procurement methods used by the government bodies responsible, so the failures are more correctly attributed to a combination of government incompetence, self-serving civil servants and private sector greed - none of which have anything to do with the architecture, but I guess it's easier to blame the dead french guy! You should check out his Unite d'Habitation in Marseille which inspired many of the poor imitations you quite rightly deride, but which is now a thriving and well loved community. Thats creative and humanising modernism for you! If you have a genuine interest in engineering and architecture then you may enjoy reading Corbusier's 'Vers une architecture' - or 'towards a new architecture' as the english translation is usually called - even though it was written by a frenchman (apologies if you have read it already - your comments suggest otherwise - and also for assuming you don't read french, perhaps you do!)
kiwi_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #155
anrajala
Founding Member

The theory that "US military spending accelerated the fall of communism" was touted by people like Caspar Weinberger who, after slashing down social programmes, presided over $2 trillion in military spending — the biggest peacetime increase in U.S. history. For nothing, it turned out, as the communism collapsed anyway. Good theory, otherwise somebody might ask the question, hey, did we just waste enough money to buy 116 million Victory Hammers, wheel-to-wheel lined up 46 times coast to coast, on nothing. Crap.

What really brought down the communism was the complete collapse of credibility due to the fat West Germans in their shiny Benzes, Audis and Beemers. Why communism still prevails in Cuba and North Korea is because they donÂ’t have them over there.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #156
anrajala
Founding Member

See yourself how horribly corrupted the communism became towards the end

(click play button on Sasha Dith's clip)

http://stage6.divx.com/Diva-Channel/...-Russian-Girls

- cruiz-euro

Old 05-25-2007, 04:14 AM   #157
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: France in Vietnam

Funny I seem to be continuously defending the froggies although myself I rank them somewhere above a lama (barely).

Just for the record, you didnÂ’t go to Iraq to bail the frenchies out, neither to Kuwait, nor Panama, nor Grenada, nor indeed Viet-Nam. If I remember correctly the French opposed strongly your involvement in Iraq, which you didnÂ’t listen but revenged intelligently by renaming french fries to freedom fries.

- cruiz-euro

Old 05-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #158
kiwi_steve
Registered Member

Eldridge Cleaver! You must be joking! The guy is hardly representative of what it's like to live in France! He only lived there briefly and lived underground, probably as he was a car thief in Europe (his algerian connections and the fact he was an employee of the communist North Vietnamese wouldn't have helped either). He probably kissed the ground on his return to the USA in anticipation of avoiding prison for his history of rape and violence... France may not suit US criminals but it is a great place, and I 'trot on over there' whenever I can! You should try it
kiwi_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #159
pdad13
Founding Member

Did you ever think that your version of history is perhaps colored? You seem to think that nothing the U.S. did had any good effect. Or, maybe, you're just a contrarian. Why don't you ask Gorby? Soviet leaders have since admitted that the Soviet economy was crippled beyond repair largely due to trying to keep pace with the U.S.? Or maybe he's lying, too. It has also been well documented that SDI was a major bargaining chip in the arms reduction talks of the early 80s.

Of course communism was horribly corrupt. Is that some kind of penetrating insight? Oh, I'm mistaken, Communism collasped solely on the power of a few Mercedes tooling around East Germany.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 AM   #160
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: France in Vietnam

I don't think we can rank Kuwait as a failure. And I'm pretty sure it was the right thing to do. Panama and Grenada, hardly quagmires.

Oh, France had nothing to do with our entry into Vietnam? Really? I think you should check that one out. Problem is, we decided to try to clean that one up. Big mistake.

Maybe you should look up "revisionism."

And do you really think France's opposition to Iraq had anything to do with some noble purpose? Maybe, just maybe, they didn't want to inflame their Muslim population? Oh, no, that's not right; they decided to get tough by mandating school uniforms. Maybe they just wanted to excercise a little influence and build prestige by opposing the U.S. Nah, the French would never do any of that.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote