Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-30-2001, 05:33 AM   #71
modette3
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

People sure do about a $1K bucks...damn I might be foolish with my money as I am only 25 but I mean lets compare stock to stock. The $1K+ price differance did not affect my choice.

I paid cash but if you say financed the new bike and the extra $1K or so would not even add much to the monthly payments...not even worth fighting about.

Now apply this logic on price to say the R1 and the Ducati 996...your talking big differance and the R1 is the better big in my opinion but most if they could choice either probably would pick the Ducati because there is not as many so it is a good posser bike.

Not saying that I bought the FZ1 to poss on as I put tons of mile son my bikes but it is nice to have people ask about your bikes. On a Bandit 1200S it would be like, oh a B12 no big deal.

This is for all...if there is a ZRX1100/ZRX1200R or Bandit 1200S rider in Michigan that wants to get together and check their bikes out in the real world lets do it. Just a friendly get together is all...maybe do a day trip somewhere. You can find me at my site: www.yamahafz1.com

~Mark

www.yamahafz1.com

modette3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2001, 05:37 AM   #72
modette3
Founding Member

I invite all over to the FZ1OA board wether you ride a B12 a ZRX or whatever come and chat with us and check out the great pictures we have

~Mark

www.yamahafz1.com
modette3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 06:02 AM   #73
mcasey
Founding Member

According to the dyno chart the Suzuki has more torque and horsepower

up to 7200. Although the FZ1 is a little lighter, looks to me like the

Bandit would be faster 0-60, 0-100, top-gear roll on 60-80. Having

owned a 2001 Bandit I know how strong it runs. I sold the Bandit and

bought a ZX-12R. I would like to see some tests on the 12R. What about

it MO?
mcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 06:22 AM   #74
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: And they do, ya

You didn't miss the reason for the second helmet because I never stated it. Does anyone ever pay full retail if you shop catalogs and the internet ? M.A.W. has the best prices on helmets and tires I've ever seen. Yeah, that's a plug for them and no, I don't work for them. The reason for the second helmet has nothing to do with coordination. It has to do with choice. I had an Arai Quantum E (sakata rep) that got killed (along with a 98TL) in a deer/suicide accident. I still had the GSXR to ride and purchased a Shoei X-SP (Abe rep) while I was waiting on the insurance company to reimburse me for gear. After they did I got another sakata rep in a Quantum f. You get what you pay for is what it amounts to. Yes, pro racers, make that factory racers, do get helmets supplied to them. Racers in CCS, WERA, etc., don't and they pretty much all have either Shoei or Arai helmets and they aren't free.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 07:02 AM   #75
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Sounds like you want my bike.

I have a 1995 Kawasaki GPZ1100. Too bad they don't make it any more. Check out the review here at MO on the 1995. Also check out www.gpzlist.org if you're interested in the bike. It's rare and there are a few on sale here or there.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 07:16 AM   #76
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: And they do, ya

That explains things much better. I wasn't trying to flame or start an argument with you. But from what you had stated it sounded like you spent $1200 on two helmets for different bikes. Can you see how I got that impression.

You are right, you get what you pay for. And some of what (in the case of the fancy graphics helmets) is the look of the graphics. Some of us are just trying to make sure that people reading this (who may not know better) do not think that those helmets are any better (safer, or more comfortable) just because you pay more (for the one with graphics).

MAW has very good prices, as does Chaparral (even Competition Accesories now with 10% AMA discount). They recently ran a Dunlop D207 matched pair sale that I could not beat anywhere.

PS When are those stupid dear going to stop killing themselves, and trying to kill us in the process. Ruthless animals.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 07:48 AM   #77
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Why 74 pounds

Good analysis. There's got to be some things missing though. You say there is nothig for the wheels, but maybe there is (not same ones as R1), and the frame is probably more than the extra 5-10 pounds. Plus there passenger grab rails (another couple pounds), center stand, and so-on.

Not arguing with your analysis. It would be interesting to see a break down from somebody at Yamaha on these items. The weight difference, and why different parts were used.

But simply put, this was not intended to be a hard-edged sport bike, more of something to compete with the Bandit 1200, ZRX11/12. Yamaha figurd they could get install sales by using the R1 motor, and claiming it was very much like an R1. Therefore weight was not a very big concern. They are still much lighter than these other bikes, so they probably feel they accomplished their task.

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 10:30 AM   #78
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

Default FZ-1 vs naked B12

Well, it's $1500, but you're right, it would not break me month to month ($50/mo. over 3 years). But $1000 "not worth fighting over"? BS! You're exactly the kind of sucker that finance companies can smell a MILE away.

Your Ducati example is exactly my point. I would (hypothetically) take the R1 too, because $7k is not a good deal to me for the added sex appeal of the Duc. I love the Duc, just not THAT much.

I understand your point, you like the Yam better, so it's worth it to you. My point was that I like the B12 better, simple as that. My point was that for the same money as an FZ1, I can flat smoke your butt and have a bike I like better. Sounds like a good deal to me . . .

At least I can be sure that you aren't biased, right Mr. FZ1.com?
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 01:32 PM   #79
blavenia
Founding Member

Default Re: Why 74 pounds

I don't know if I agree. I was torn between shifting from my sport-biking days over for an FZ-1, but found the weight proposterous. Add to that the full MSRP of the FZ-1, +F/P, + any markup most dealers in Florida are getting, and it becomes just as pricey as the 2001 R1 I walked out the door with for $9,900 TOTAL! I know I got a killer deal on my R1, but had the FZ-1 come in about 50 lbs lighter, I would have jumped all over it. I'm tired of the discomfort, but just couldn't handle all that extra weight and lower-end components for virtually minimal gains in comfort once you lug that extra weight around.

That said, for someone like myself interested in having fun, carving on occaison and still being comfy, I would have antied up big-time for a lighter, tricker FZ-1. Heck, leave it as an R1 and simply change the riding position, and I'm there for 10 large!

blavenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 03:57 PM   #80
mackerel
Founding Member

after a lengthy absence from motorcycling i bought a stock, used '97 B12. my main incentive at the time was to thoroughly tweak a friends nads (harley owner). as i am an old fart, and of considerable girth (o.k., so i'm a fat old fart), the B12s sizable torque figure seemed to make it a good choice and the price was right. before a visit to my old buddy dale walker, the B12 happily lofted the front end upon command. now it's just like way gonzo dude (pathetic, huh?). the FZ1 seems to be more oriented to the younger sporters out there. and it appears to be not so build-up friendly. i'm popping along at a conservative 9.5:1, with mild cams, in an engine that has an endless supply of holy parts. i'm happy with it. still, the FZ1 does look neat.
mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote