Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-29-2001, 08:48 AM   #51
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: A wise man once said...

That's a good way to put it for people... but if you buy a helmet that is Snell rated, and you pay more than $150.00, all you're paying for is lighter weight, less noise, more comfort, graphics and of course, the name. The amount of protection isn't necessarily better. I'm not saying it's WRONG to buy $600.00 helmets, I'm saying it's ok to do that as long as you know what it is you're paying for. The Snell Memorial Foundation does some very good, very extensive testing on a helmet before they'll put their name on it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2001, 09:34 AM   #52
GregGorman
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

Handling, lighweight, looks, racing, and, depending on the audience, poser points. Get a set of Givi bags for an R-1, ZX-9, GSX-R1000 and they're just as practical as a Bandit but with lighter weight and better handling. For some people, you, that would be practical. Oh well. Have fun,
Old 03-29-2001, 10:24 AM   #53
Kiwi
Founding Member

Default ZRX out-torques both

Motorcycledaily.com have up a dyno chart for the ZRX1200 that shows it superior to either of these, butthe FZ1 has the top end advantage. I think that the ZRX in green is the coolest looking of these three (but then I'm over 40!)
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:45 AM   #54
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: "First Post" by Minime

Cool, Minime takes the first post, it gets moderated down to zero (off topic) then the threads below that (replies to to his post, who knows why they would do that) don't show up. I guess if people would learn how to post we wouldn't have these problems.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:46 AM   #55
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Some good points, but. . .

I was thinking more about the "monkey humping a football" riding position. Optimum for control at the track, but pure torture for extended rides on the street.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 10:49 AM   #56
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: A wise man once said...

Now that's some insightful feedback. What are you doing on MO? But you are right, if the helmets all have the same Snell or DOT rating, spending more does not make the helmet safer. But you know, some people just buy more expensive things to make people think they have lots of money.

Funny how the guy has 2 $600 helmets, one for each of 2 different bikes. Fashion, not safety.
Old 03-29-2001, 10:54 AM   #57
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Why 74 pounds

Cost savings mostly. You're missing the point if you only expected it to be a about 20 pounds heavier. The frame alone probably accounted for that. If you want a naked R1, buy an R1 and modify it. It would weigh less than an R1 minus some of the body work. Still have all the same components, power, handling etc.

What would you (realistically) suggest they did different? Give some examples of ways the weight could be trimmed (or not added), that would NOT add to the cost.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:58 PM   #58
deathv_69
Founding Member

How about a dyno run for the Triumph Sprint RS... along with the Kawi... pretty much the same catagory as these other two....
deathv_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:30 PM   #59
robs7
Founding Member

Being 40 and not interested in how fast a bike can go I notice something a little different in the dyno charts. I see both red lines, representing the B12, higher on the chart than the blue lines, representing the FZ1 from 4K rpms through 7K rpms. Now, being practically minded and not interested in speeding tickets isn't the 4 - 7 rpm range where WE do 95 percent of our riding,,,,if we're honest? At 7K rpms both of these bikes would be breaking the speed limit in the top gear. With that, the $1,000 + more for the FZ1 and articles I've read on how comfy the B12 is,,,,,I could care less that the horse power and torque are higher on the FZ1 AFTER 7K rpms.
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:47 PM   #60
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

Uh, you can snag a nearly new or new 2000 or older for $5999 'round here.... That said I had a deal for the FZ-1 from Comp Acc for $8000. Then I found a nearly new 2000 ZX-9R (1500miles) which fit my needs better for $7800. Comp Acc then made me feel bad by offering me a new 2001 ZX-9R for....$8499!!!!!!

I was having a hard time with the FZ-1's fairing and frame looks and the ZX9R while generic at least is not offensive looking. If I could get a do-over, I would give this new ZXR1200 a good once-over. Big torque like the B12 but a better suspension for similiar money.....never pay retail!

Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote