Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-28-2001, 03:30 PM   #21
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Re: Dealers slow to get the FZ-1?

I was in my neighborhood dealer (Scottsdale, AZ) Saturday and they said they'd gotten one, but it had been picked up the same day.

What surprises me is that none of the Phx dealers have gotten any Bandit 1200's yet. Weren't they announced last September?
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2001, 03:43 PM   #22
SlowDude
Registered Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

I too hope for a kawi in a three way test. When I was looking for my first non-cruiser bike, sitting on the zrx was more comfy on the wrists but I was not sure the wind protection was up to consecutive tankful trips. I went with the silver b-12 and have been riding that big fat torque curve for the last 3 months. Riding this class of bike is pure nirvana for me. I feel fast and sporty without having to resort to neon colored leathers and $600 helmets. Torque rules! (at least until I get acclimated to more than 50hp)
SlowDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 04:25 PM   #23
Lunatic
Founding Member

Default Don't forget

There is over 1000 bucks price difference. Does the bandit get to spend that money on performance upgrades before you compare them? 1000 bucks more expensive, and its 1000 dollars better bike. sounds about right to me. With a grand worth of upgrades, how would the two compare? The Bandit uses screw and locknuts for valve lash adjustments,

I think the Yamaha is shim under bucket. Does the cost of maintainint the bikes factor in anywhere?
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 04:31 PM   #24
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: Dealers slow to get the FZ-1?

The dealer in Colorado Springs got several b12.

I bought one a couple weeks ago off the floor and they had a second one they hadn't put together yet. A friend of mine bought one last fall. They did have a FZ1 sitting one the floor but it was sold. That fairing really makes the fz1 look funky. They would of been better off with no fairing. The weather here has sucked so I haven't put many miles on the B12 yet. One short trip of a couple hunderd miles and couple days around town. So far I'm really enjoying the bike. I think if you like the looks of teh fz1 then either bike would work.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 04:42 PM   #25
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

don't forget...we know nothing about the GEARING of these two bikes...if one is geared for better around town acceleration....it might be a bit tall on 5th or 6th gear...and have a very weak pull at top speed!
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 09:24 PM   #26
billdobbins
Founding Member

I agree....let's see how the ZRX compares. I suspect it is faster and handles better than the Bandit, and may outdo the Yamaha. I just wished I liked its styling better.
billdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 12:54 AM   #27
rvfrules
Founding Member

A friend in Sacramento just got his 2001 B12 out the door for $7400.00. Guessing that most FZ-1 owners are going to pay about 9 grand for their bikes, that leaves $1,500 to play with for engine mods. I think that will buy a Holeshot 1216cc piston kit ($539) plus pay for the installation labor and a slip-on if not a pipe. THEN let's see how the FZ-1 does when it's up against a machine that costs the same but puts out about 145hp/90 ft/lbs at the rear wheel, and is a more comfy sport-tourer to boot. Of course, the wild card in the deck now is the ZRX1200. With Motorcycledaily reporting it putting out 115/84 ft/lb of power, and excellent handling, that may prove to be the machine to beat. Of course, by choosing not to release its half-cowled version stateside when Yamaha and Suzuki have done so may cost the big Kwaker more than a few sales in the booming 35-44 year-old bikers, who buy most of these machines and like their power served up with a decent measure of comfort.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 02:23 AM   #28
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

What I've said all along about these bikes seems to be holding up. I would take the Yam if they were in similar price ranges, but they definitely are not. Not to mention that I love the looks of the naked B12. The weight is something that the aftermarket can't fix quite so cheaply, but 20 lbs. is not such a big deal on a 500lb STREET bike. I would do what others have said they would with these bikes:

Buy one Bandit 1200 (black, naked)

1216cc piston kit

pipe, jet kit

cams from a GSX-R1100

brake lines

start saving for some Keihin 39's

try not to get arrested for never using both wheels at the same time!

Then again, I can't wait to see what the Kawi brings to the table . . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 02:44 AM   #29
Pizzabox
Founding Member

Default Here

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28march01zrxdyno.html
Pizzabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 02:44 AM   #30
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

probably because all their testers are busy writing, riding, apologizing to their wives/mistresses, etc. :P
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote