Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-20-2002, 05:27 AM   #111
cota
Registered Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

I used your test in my decision making and have traded my ZR7 for the Bandit 1200S. Rational: after riding the FZ1, ZRX1200 and Bandit on some local Rocky Mountain roads. The FZ1 was light and handled well, the ZRX was a straight line machine and the Bandit was close to the FZ in handling. Power out of corners was good for all three, but I (that's me) felt better on the Bandit. But, the real bottom line, the Bandit didn't make my butt hurt after a 3 hour tour! Since I got the bike and before the snow flew, I got in a couple of 500 mile rides, I didn't need to get off and get the feeling back in my legs! It's great.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2002, 01:26 PM   #112
cota
Registered Member

I must be gettin old. I got the 02 B12S and just like the comfort and it'll do close to 150 at the altitudes around Colorado. I don't need much more speed that that at my age, but the thing is easy to ride. 500 mile days are a breeze, milage is good, and it looks nice in from of the coffee shop. I will likely put a pipe on it some time so I can hear the engine run.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:31 AM   #113
SRMark
Founding Member

Rivalry? Buy the one you like. If you still like it after a few miles, keep it. If you don't, sell it. Let the opposing corporate flunkies hammer out competitive strategies and rivalry issues. You just focus on how much fun these things are. Then tell me what you think works and what doesn't and stop the stupid one-against-the-other crap.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:22 PM   #114
YamFZ1
Founding Member

BBD. I own a FZ1 and love it. I asked an acquaintance who works for Yamaha why the extra weight on the bike over an R1. It was to get the bike over the power to weight ratio established by the insurance industry to make the insurance rates kinder to us owners of the FZ1. There is a huge difference in the rates for the two bikes, and this is due to that ratio.
YamFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:05 AM   #115
Leonard
Founding Member

You said it. the Bandit 1200S is well suited for the sport touring end of the spectrum and the FZ1 for the hooligan fast bike. I am pleased that I did not wait for the FZ1 to be available. When the candy red '01 1200S became available, I went for it and have been pleased with every sport touring mile. The power comes on early and stays strong to redline. Cruising along at 4k, open the throttle to pass quickly and I think I must have shifted down a cog without thinking. Climbing a steep grade and need to pass two 18 wheelers, shift down and clear them at over 100 mph.

Bolted on a Two Brothers canister and the deep sound fits the character of the machine perfectly. At 8600 miles, time for new tires. Macadam 100X or MZ4?

Changes? Needs a 6 gallon fuel tank and both lights should be on for low beam. Traffic from the right does not see the low beam on the left side only. Iritate drivers with high beam on in traffic so that right side will be on with left, which remains on at high beam setting.

Only thing that may tempt me away now is the FJR 1300.
Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 03:13 PM   #116
ShortyT
Founding Member

I have both, an '02 FZ-1 and an '01 VFR800. Tough call between them. If you want power, especially 5th or 6th gear roll-on, it's no contest. Tranny on the Honda shifts better and the saddle is better. Brakes are stronger on the Yamaha. If I had neither and had the experience I have, I would probably go for the FZ-1. But, consider this, I am 67 years old and the riding position of the Yamaha is kinder to use "oldies."

ShortyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #117
Z-force
Founding Member

Nator,

Couldnt agree more with your last comment. I like the VFR and love the styling of the new and improved (?) VFR. I dont like the fact it got slower and heavier. Why is Honda sticking to the 800 cc limit? Five years ago, they could barley keep up with the 750s and a few hot 600's. Now, the 600's will leave it for dead. Honda dont give me any lip service saying the bikes are in different markets. Im 41 yrs old like sportbikes (last one was YZF 750). Since Honda is not racing the V4 in Superbikes, add more CC's. I think a 1000cc V-4 at least. Hey with the new ST1300, wonder if Honda has any ST1100 motors which could be "tweaked"? If not 1300cc's would be fine. I dont want to buy a 800cc bike and get out powered by a 600cc with a young squid on it. Save the age comment, Im 6'4", 235 lbs, I cant fit on those little bikes. I believe I covered the VFR problem.

Z-force
Z-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:02 AM   #118
oldbluegone
Founding Member

I think I would go with the Suzuki anyway. Let's face it; most motorcyclist are hopelessly addicted to 'improving' and 'modifying' their bikes. The FZ1 is going to take quite a bit more cash to take it to a higher level, whereas the 'Zuki is a great bike to 'improve' upon. But you know Suzuki could put a more advanced engine in the Bandit. Wish that Hyabusa mojo motor would fit.
oldbluegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:43 AM   #119
SneakyPete_2
Founding Member

Don't forget price -- I bought my 2002 Bandit 1200S in Nov '01 for $6,500 -- about $1,000 under MSRP without haggling and $2k cheaper than the FZ1. Money isn't everything, though, and after 20,000 mi in 11 months, I still feel the Bandit is a magical machine -- does everything well and is wicked fast.
SneakyPete_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:58 AM   #120
SneakyPete_2
Founding Member

I love my 02 B12S (20,000 mi in 11 mos) and found the more mileage I racked up, the better it ran and the better the gas mileage. (Brand new I got around 33mpg -- after about 15,000 mi it got to the high 40's) But - although I knew I didn't need it- I was curious about how much more performance I could get re-jetting carbs. The answer is:"a little" but gas mileage has gone from 48 or so to 32-33 mpg. For me, with all the long rides I take, that is significant.
SneakyPete_2 is offline   Reply With Quote