Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-14-2001, 06:46 PM   #101
ViragoDude
Founding Member

Default Re: ZRX out-torques both

Keep in mind that this dyno test was not done by the same people, on the same dyno, on the same day, under the same conditions. Conditions and dyno fudge factors can produce variances in the results that can lead to incorrect deductions being applied. Therefore, it is best if comparisons are done by the same people at the same time. Thus, minimizing these changes. So, we will need to wait for the three to be brought together for an accurate dyno comparison. I don't like the retro look of the ZRX as I am over 40 and I used to own early 1980's superbikes (Naked 1100's) and I am looking for something newer looking.

Also, as of last year, Kawi lost all my interest when they failed to bring their bike to California. Did the MD test cover a CA legal bike? The B12 and FZ1 are.
ViragoDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2001, 06:48 PM   #102
ViragoDude
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

So would I. They are all good bikes. The fact that The ZRX1100 was not CA legal told me Kawi does not care about me as a customer.

I pick up my FZ next week.
ViragoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 03:32 AM   #103
KTMBigDog
Founding Member

I haven't gotten a slip-on yet, but I have recently installed a dyna-jet jet kit. Amazing difference it made with low-end throttle response. It's not a cold blooded beast yet.

As for touring I've done several trips involving multiple 10 hour days in the saddle (a Corbin) and look forward to my next one. The bike is a blast up in the mountains (Smoky Mountains). I like to ride at a brisk pace while keeping things under control.

Like you I was trying to decide between the Bandit and the R1100GS. I like them both equally, but the Bandit is half the cost.
KTMBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 04:57 AM   #104
polishnightmare
Founding Member

My comment is on the reliability of the B12. If it didn't that then why do all the trick riders use that engine. Either a Bandit 12 or GSXR1100. The engine is rock solid.
polishnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 06:17 AM   #105
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Some good points, but. . .

Or 5 minutes in traffic.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 06:29 AM   #106
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

You must lean a lot more toward sport riding than I do, for anything else the ZX-9's riding position is not comfortable at all (at least for me). I can't imagine sitting in traffic for 5 minutes on one, even the comfort difference between my SV-650 which is leaned forward but still relatively upright, and my V65 Sabre which is straight up and down (imagine sitting upright in a chair) is huge - the Sabre is MUCH more comfortable. Then again, I can't imagine riding the Sabre on a track.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:03 PM   #107
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default What a great idea!

This is a neat idea. I'd love to see the older bikes included in a comparison test. I would hope they'd do it right, though. In all the comparisons I've read between the three new bikes they rate them as sportbikes.

Bikes need to be judged by their intended uses. Touring bikes should be judged by how they are with two people and 200 pounds of their crap ridden for 3000 miles. Sportbikes should be judged by how they are on a racetrack and on twisty roads, and how quick/fast they are. Cruisers should be judged by how they look and how they ride at mostly low speeds, their "torqueyness", and how they are on medium length highway rides. Scooters and "little bikes" should be judged by how they do at taking you to school and going down to the grocery store for a few items.

If you could afford all of the above mentioned bikes, you'd pretty much have a perfect bike for any occasion. But what if you're like most of the working middle class and have mortgage payments, credit card bills, and a wife (or husband, I'm not being sexist here) and maybe a few kids eating up a good deal of your money and can only afford one bike?

You'd probably want something that could do all of the above fairly well, that's what. You'd accept some compromises, but you'd want it not to suck at anything either. Sounds like a standard to me!

Every time I read a review of these new big standards, it looks like another sportbike review. They go on about how well it handles, how quick it turns, whether the engine loses steam above 9000 RPM, or whether the frame flexes when pushed hard. They constantly compare them to whatever real sportbike they're most closely related to, i.e. the FZ-1 is always compared to the R1, Bandit to GSX-R, etc.

I think the writers miss the point. If the sportyness and handling were the all-important factors, people would just get the real sportbike, and screw compromising. But if you wanted to commute, tour, cruise, alone or with a passenger, and sometimes ride hard (not on a racetrack) you'd want the standard. You really wouldn't care how it compares to the real sportbike, because it's meant for a totally different purpose.

This is how standards need to be rated, on how well they do everything, and whether they suck in any area. Of course a good review would also point out any overwhelming stong or weak points, and any notable biases toward sport, touring, or commuting. In a comparison, the one that's the best compromise wins - not the one that's closest to a sportbike.
Old 08-04-2001, 03:25 PM   #108
FantomRider
Founding Member

Want to know a lot more about the FZ1? Talk to the owners. I invite all to the FZ1 / Fazer Owners Association. http://pub29.ezboard.com/bfz1ownersassociation

Lots of good guys there that would answer any questions you have or just talk about motorcycles at another great message board. This one is just getting started so tell your friends. It's called the All Motorcycle Enthusiasts

http://pub45.ezboard.com/bame
FantomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 08:38 AM   #109
Le_Racer
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ1 vs. ZX 9R

Salut!

The ZX 9 is a great ride, smooth for a sportbike and stable but nowhere close to the FZ1 when it come time to ride the rough pavement we have here on our back roads in Quebec.

I had the chance to ride both bikes back to back on a 300 mi day on thoses "roads" and I also used both machines on a day to day basis, my vote goes to the FZ1.

The big plus on the ZX 9R is when we do some autobahns type riding (like 100 mph and +)on smoother roads, better wind protection and feels more planted than the FZ1, it's stable but not quite that racebike feel you get from the ZX 9R.

Both are great machine, it's just my point of view...

Later!

Le Racer
Le_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 01:28 PM   #110
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. all, Please include old bikes to.

I think Enewmen is referring to the Bandit's power and torque advantage below 7,400 RPM that makes it better for touring (more mid-range riding).

The FZ1 may have the most up top, but the Bandit has the most down-low... and I rarely ride near the red-line when I'm touring.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote