Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 04-03-2001, 07:22 PM   #91
mackerel
Founding Member

Default Re: Dyno Shootout: FZ1 vs. Bandit 1200S

gee, yamaha owner are you? the level of sensitivity displayed on this site. phew. at 325, junior, i don't give a damn what the frickin bike weighs.

you get what you pay for? can't argue with that kind of thinking.

mackerel

suzuki owner

yamaha owner

oh yeah, got a honda too.
mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2001, 09:43 PM   #92
markjenn
Founding Member

Default Re: Don

Yes, but the Yamaha has a 26K adjustment interval. When you factor this in, it may be cheaper per mile.

And $1K isn't going to get your R1 brakes, 20 more hp, and the more up to date chassis.

Different bikes for different missions.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 12:25 PM   #93
john
Founding Member

The B12 plant has much more potential for power than the Fazer's does. Go to Dale Walker's site to see what i mean. The Bandit motor supports 160 bhp quite easily. Everything i have read about mods for the R1 would suggest that it is very hard to get any more power from the fazer mill. On the R1, full exhausts either lose hp or kill the midrange. I saw one german tuning firm in CycleWorld i think, that get you a 165 bhp R1. that one sets you back $50,000
Old 04-05-2001, 12:48 PM   #94
john
Founding Member

i think he is being very realistic. The bandit is a wonderful drag racing platform, and there is a world of aftermarket parts for it. In fact, of the 5 or 6 people i know that have the B12, myself included, almost all of them have pipe, slip-on, 5 degree advance, jet kit.

these make a 15 hp gain on the bike. Also, a slip on and end-can take about 17 lbs off of the bike.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:00 PM   #95
john
Founding Member

Default Re: "First Post" by Minime

speak for yourself, i am 18 and love the late seventies/early 80's CB750's and 900's. Other favorite bikes include the mid-80's VFR's. The new bandit looks anything but dated..........but it does look like a standard
Old 04-05-2001, 02:37 PM   #96
caderider
Registered Member

-=(why they think the name 'Fazer' is so offensive to us Americans is beyond me)=-

If could be because the majority of these bikes all carry a name expressed as a combination of letters and numbers. R1, VTX, FLHTWXYZ, CBR, etc. Maybe they don't want to rock the boat...
Old 04-05-2001, 06:45 PM   #97
TheMotorCycleMan
Founding Member

Mr. Irate,

Do you have any clue what it takes to design a motorcycle to be user friendly? Have you ever ridden an R1 more than a couple hundred miles? If you are honest with yourself and others, you probably answered NO to both questions. If you want comfort, long-distance touring range, plush suspension for a nice ride and decent passenger accomadations, you have to add weight...there is no way around it!

Yamaha DID do something special with this bike. You should go ride one, before saying they came up short...I did and was extremely impressed.
TheMotorCycleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 07:53 PM   #98
fjfz1
Founding Member

I can believe that mark i sat on an 1000gsxr,busa,zx-12 and from 26 yrs. of riding i knew they would not be comfortable on any thing more then a track or cruising thru town.so i will be picking up my fz1 here soon.I love my fj1100 and can not give it up. the Bandit is a good choice lots of grunt down under good luck
fjfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 08:37 AM   #99
modette3
Founding Member

Default Re: And they do, ya

I like my Shoei RF-800 and I only paid $220 for it and that included the shipping. I would never pay extra just for graphics, but thats just me. If you have the money and want to spend it, it is your money so feel free.

I also though can understand the point of the helmets not providing any more protecting just because of the graphics. I think it should of been stated like this; A solid color helmet say cost $300 and the same brand but with GRAPHICS cost $600...is that helmet really worth $300 more as far as protection goes? No, it does not. So it is bought on part by fashion.

But what is fashion? Is that a bad thing? I mean I buy anything I look at partly because of looks. Say you are looking at a car, Ford Explorer in Yellow or one in Black...you end up picking the one you like which is fashion to you, in your eyes.

I picked my Shoei RF-800 helmet because I liked how it felt...to my head it felt the same as a HJC helmet but I liked the looks better so I guess I paid $50-$70 more for fashion. Same with my FZ1, I could of bought the Bandit 1200S or the ZRX1200R but did not like the looks, so in part I bought the FZ1 for fashion.

Is this wrong? No, this is how people decide what to buy.

~Mark
modette3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 06:37 PM   #100
ViragoDude
Founding Member

It's like this. Look at all of the Naked bikes you may be interested in. Then apply your specific requirements:

1. Brand preference.

2. Styling preference.

3. How does the bikes performance envelope match your riding styles.

4. Pricing.

Keep in mind that you can finance the sticker, but you have to pay for mods out of your back pocket.

That the difference in $1,000 of list is around $20 per month in payments. Get what you will be happiest with. In the long run, cheaper is not always the best defining requirement. When young and poor, I too tending to weigh this factor heavily. But at my age I get what I want as I will be keeping it for the next 8 to 10 years I will get what I want. I pick up my FZ-1 on Wednesday.

ViragoDude is offline   Reply With Quote