Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: Newspaper spouts numbers, concludes: ''Riders at fault''

Viewed in macro, those statistics look pretty damning. The problem is that statistics of this sort are pointless unless ALL motorcycle wrecks and fatalities are looked at.

All I can say for myself is that if I eat it on a bike, then my guess is it will be caused by someone in a car not paying attention. My two wrecks were caused by car drivers and every casualty in my peer group of riders was caused by a car except one.

Training for riders, education for drivers. It is the only way we're going stop this carnage.

In other news I'm going to the Schwantz Track school this weekend.........I'm effing pumped!
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Hundreds of thousands of leather clad overweight middle aged drunks show up in one place for a week and anyone is surprised that the main cause of their wrecks is themselves? LOL!

Paging Captain Obvious.

This is like being surprised at smelling a lot of B.O. at an Earth Day rally.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
dmorga1
Founding Member

I thought it was a decently nuanced article if you read the whole thing. The Hurt study is very old now, and the demographics are wildly shifting. While the statistics they are using hardly represent a nationally representative sample, they do suggest a trend which I think many of us know is happening--more older riders equals more deaths among older riders. Combine lots of older folks with zero riding skills (or very old riding skills) on a new oversized bike and you've often got trouble. However, young turks on sportbikes are still a problem, too. I think it made a good point that it's more than just "them Ninja sportbikes!" Perhaps the automobile drivers got off a little light, but as others have said here a million times before, if we as motorcyclists don't own this problem, it will be owned for us, and we won't like it. Now, the one issue I have with most stats reporting is that they sometimes report absolute number of occurrences without any sense of relative rate or proportion. For example, 15 fatalities in a county with 10,000 registered riders maybe isn't that bad (especially if it's popular with riders not registered there, too). If it's more like 15 out of 1000, maybe it's more concerning. However, like it or not, these motorcycle accidents make the news. Behave badly on a motorcycle, and you may end up getting written up in the newspaper. Greater responsibility? Sure. Unfair? Perhaps. But what else can we do besides attempt to conduct ourselves as we should, and encourage other riders to do the same?
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Legaly ride without insurance??

Legaly ride without insurance??

What's up with that?

I wonder at the indifference show motorcycles when it comes to things like licenses and insurance.

A friend here in Arizona went to try for his motorcycle license and they didn't even make him take the driving test.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Old ''Riders at fault''

Riding through the mountains Sunday, I noticed a turkey vulture land on a post on the left side of the road. As I neared it, it took off, sort of like a Doolittle B-25 leaving a carrier deck, low and slow. Just before we met, it veered to the left, missing me by a foot or so. Being struck by a giant bird indeed.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Hey them little antiperspirant crystals work just fine you Earth Waster

Right on the button with the leather clad drunks bit, toss in no helmets or those stupid f*ckin' beanies and the problem is pretty obvious.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Legaly ride without insurance??

As the article stated, insurance is not required here in Washigton State. If you finance the bike your bank or credit union will require it before you get the loan but for some reason the state don't. M/C licenses are required though, still I'm sure there's a lot of people that don't have one.

The obvious solution is to require a copy of a valid M/C license before you take delivery, MSF courses supply their own bkes so there's no excuse why it won't work.

@ $3.49.9 a gallon for gas there's probably going to be a pretty fair number of new or reentry riders coming along, they need at least some type of training, gas sure isn't going to get any cheaper.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Schwantz School

You taking the big ZX or renting?

Tell me how it goes. I really want to go but can't afford it.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Legaly ride without insurance??

I'm interested about how you mentioned it's a DR-Z. I have heard (anecdotally) that the police do not often ticket for no plates on "dirtbikes" because they (the police) think they are small enough displacement wise to not need a plate. Anyone else with that experience out there?

--The Fox

Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Suzuki Volusia

This answers the question as to where Suzuki got the name for that cruiser.

--The Fox