Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Newspaper spouts numbers, concludes: ''Riders at fault''

shh. Ur makin me want to hang up the leathers.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
nolaandy
Founding Member

The statistics are nothing new. Except for "age creep" the basics are the same. A majority of accidents that kill motorcyclists are one-vehicle accidents. A surprising number of them are the two-wheeled equivalent of "controlled flight into terrain" aircraft accidents. That is, riders apparently taking no evasive maneuvers while smacking into something or other.

"Older riders" are often cited by "younger riders" as inordinately dangerous to themselves. Actually, for the latest data available (June 2006) the 20 to 30 year-old group (roughly 18% of the riding population) had 1,041 fatalities. Riders in the 50 and up group (about 25% of the riding population) had 876 fatalities. So the younger group is still over represented in fatalities.

You don't need the 'gummint to tell you any of this. The best information is scrupulously maintained by the insurance industry. They can tell you that younger riders are also over represented in property damage and non-fatal injuries.

This is a dangerous sport. Inexperience (including not riding for a long time and starting to ride again), riding under the influence, riding beyond skill level all contribute to the dangers. Bad drivers are good for the other 27% of wrecks (where inexperienced riders are also over represented).

I've been riding for 45 years, and I guess I'm lucky that I had my youthful wildness tempered at an early age by a wreck that was pretty benign. The only other "incident" I had was avoiding a truck that ran a stop sign. My experience no doubt saved me injury or worse. I could see the truck approaching from the left and I could see he wasn't slowing. My best path was behind him onto wet grass, so that's where I went, already slowing.

Be careful out there. It doesn't matter whose fault it was or how it happened. The consequences are exactly the same.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Re: Suzuki Volusia

I was wondering about that myself, I figured it meant "Happy Cherry Blossum" or something

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
schizuki
Founding Member

F***ing smelly commie hippie.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Yesterday when I referenced this article in another context, I mentioned that I don't know how valid the Orlando "Slantinel's" statistics are. I will tell you without doubt that the paper is infamous for it's skewing of the facts, bias, and wholesale errors of fact. The Chief Editor years ago was quotes as saying "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story!" Also, whatever they say should be tempered with the perspective that slamming motorcycling seems to be a hot topic for media everywhere.

Having said that, yeah, sure, a bunch of old guys buying big bikes and riding around for the first time ever, or the first time in years, is bound to result in deaths. And yeah, sportbikes probably do have a higher percentage of fatalities than other bike types, but so what? The simple truth these articles never touch on that I've derived from their own statistics is that: AS A PERCENTAGE OF THE NUMBER OF RIDERS, THE ACTUAL DEATHS ARE GOING DOWN, NOT UP!!! Our magazines, advocacy groups, manufacturers ought to be producing the statistics to back this up and screaming it in their magazines, at press releases, news conferences, at legislative sessions, and anywhere else. Instead, our industry leaders have not taken an agressive, pro-active stance in defending motorcycling. It's like they're trying to sneak under the "radar," when the enemy is standing in front of them with flamethrowers. The brilliant comment from the industry spokesperson about "Hyper Bikes?" "Gee, it's a problem, but those darn buyers just want them go-fast machines." What a dumbass.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Legaly ride without insurance??

Are you talking about the Chicago area? You will get a ticket in about 5 seconds if you ride a bike on the street without a plate. Don't do it. They may even impound the bike until you can prove you are the owner if it has no registration.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #17
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Pinko!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It means 'copy Harley lots' in Japanese.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

No, it realley was named after that Central Florida pit-hole.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Redneck goat-roping faggot, why don't you go burn some babies for McNamara

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote