Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-21-2001, 09:07 AM   #1
Zionist
Founding Member

Default Re: Foot and Mouth Threatens TT Races

Foot and mouth disease is yucky!
Zionist is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2001, 10:49 AM   #2
wang
Founding Member

very,very yucky!! I surely hope that F&M doesn't stop the TT since it took a world war to stop it last time.Regardless,I won't attend ,but it will be interesting to see if the gixxer big challenges the R-1 in the proddy race. The TT is the ultimate measuring stick as far as a road worthiness and potential are concerned ,IMHO.
wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 10:58 AM   #3
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re:Many MO users suffer from Foot in Mouth disease

Despite months of MO users suffering from Foot in Mouth disease, MO has decided to embark on a donation campaign to keep free motorcycle speech alive!
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 11:50 AM   #4
dexman
Founding Member

God I hope they don't cancel the TT!. I've been jonesing to see the Gixxer 1000 in open combat with the R1 and RC51 on the Manx roads for months. I can't wait to see a racer charge down Bray Hill on a Gixxer 1000 and wheelie it over Ago's Leap at full throttle!
dexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 06:47 PM   #5
BenjiH
Founding Member

I know this is a little off-subject, but what does everyone think about the TT in terms of how many deaths occur during the races every year. I know that motorcyle racing of any kind has risk involved. The TT, however, is much riskier than AMA, WSB, GP, etc. type racing. I know when Joey Dunlop died last year there was talk about improving safety measures or abandoning the TT races altogether. I've crashed before as well as some of my friends, but we were going much slower than race speed. With little or no runoff on the TT circuit it's inevitable that more will die this year. Yes I understand no one is putting guns to the heads of the racers, they have the choice. But, no one is devoid of making mistakes at all times, not even the best guys out there.

I very much enjoy watching the TT races, but it makes me sick every time I hear of how many guys are killed out there. I'm not sure whether or not I want the TT to keep going on. I love it and hate it in equal measures.
BenjiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 09:04 PM   #6
Janet
Founding Member

If the GSXR wins big this year it will have achieved something even the mighty R1 couldn't manage. The R1 was launched early in 1998 (I got my one in the February), but it failed to live up to expectations at the TT - I just don't think enough parts and know-how were available by the time of the TT races. 1999 was another story ...

I live in a town called Weston-super-Mare in North Somerset, UK. Weston is a seaside resort with a very long beach. This March they planned an international motocross event on the beach for the first time. (We have always had an October/November Beach Race, but this was a somewhat different event.) Beach racing in Weston is always spectacular, with loads of man-made sand hills and jumps being erected. I think our motocross event was the fist motorcycle sport casualty of the Foot and Mouth crisis. It was called off about 4 days before it was due to happen.

There's only one case of Foot and Mouth even close to us, but it is less than five miles away and therefore we are officially in an infected area now (this happened after the motocross had been cancelled). All our countryside is off bounds, playing fields and sports pitches are closed and so are a lot of our smaller rural roads. This means that not only are these not available for use on the bike, but also more major routes are consequently more congested than ever.

Personally, while I sincerely hope I'm wrong, I don't hold out great hopes for the TT going ahead. The last major outbreak of Foot and Mouth in the UK (1967) lasted for eight months.

We just need to hope for some good consistently warm weather now, as the Foot and Mouth virus spreads well in the cold, but doesn't like warm conditions. From a motorcycling point of view I would also like some nice warm weather now - it's been an awful winter - we had snow just two days ago.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 02:45 AM   #7
dexman
Founding Member

Here in Canada we still have snow on the ground. Most bikes are still in storage, but the snow's melting a few are coming out! Hope F and M doesnt come to Canada, lord knows we have the right weather for it!
dexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 04:30 AM   #8
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

In addition to spraying everyone and everything with disinfectant, they should also provide condoms to everyone, just in case some lonely pizza-faced squid gets completely tanked at a rural pub and wanders out into a sheep pasture filled with Guinness and romantic feelings. These things happen, you know.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 07:44 AM   #9
tbuse
Founding Member

Man must take risks or he stagnates. There are no new areas to explore, at least not without serious governmental funding. Thus to feed the innate need to push the envelope, people race motorcycles, cars, airplanes, dogs. People jump out of perfectly good airplanes, or most dangerous of all, people ride horse. (Check the stats for injuries per mile riden for horses sometime. Scary.) If we cancel an activity because someone might get hurt, we will all end up sitting in our quiet, insulated, perfectly safe rooms, rapidly going mad.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 08:59 AM   #10
BenjiH
Founding Member

I understand that there is risk involved in racing as I already stated above. I'm just pointing out that the TT races have a much higher death toll than other forms of motorcycle racing. If you crash at say Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta, you have a much better chance of surviving the crash than at the TT. If I had the opportunity to go racing at Road Atlanta I would do it in a heartbeat. You couldn't pay me enough to race at the Isle of Man. I guess I'm just a little surprised that more people aren't that upset about how many guys are killed out there.
BenjiH is offline   Reply With Quote