Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Fun thing I wrote some time ago for Citybike

I've bought three bikes and and bought/sold two trucks through CL no prob. I'm well aware the onus is on me (i.e., buyers & sellers beware of hustles and scams).

I always love those ALL CAPS listing, or ones that say "perfect condition," but the the "previous owner" dropped it at low speed in the driveway. Yeah... rrrrrright!
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Kelly Blue Book pricing...

I love Craigs List! Where else can you find a two year old bike with a 1000 miles on it for almost half the price of a new one?

Most recent purchases:

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i, 952 miles=$6000 Put 3000 miles on it and sold it for $6500.

2004 Ducati Multistrada 1000, 1200 miles=$7800. Put 4000 miles on it and sold it for $7500

2002 Aprilia Futura, 1400 miles=$7600. Put 4000 miles on it and sold it for $7400.

How can you beat breaking even on three bikes that would have cost you close to $40,000 new?

And yes, I have a problem.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #23
everiman
Registered Member

Kelly's Blue Book is a wholesale price is it not?

Bike prices vary wildly by geography, not always reflected by Blue Book regions.

If Kelly's are asking dealers how much they pay for used bikes, and the information is used to determine what used bikes are worth, how likely is it that dealers won't deflate the price?)

Plus in my experience, the only people who can buy bikes for wholesale are dealers, and it is usually connected to a trade for another bike.

When a dealer typically take bikes in trade, what the poor schmuck who traded in his bike may or may not realize is that the actual amount he or she got is buried in the overall deal, without a trade he or she might have paid less for the bike they bought. This is even more the case if the the bike they are trading for is also used.

If you are an ebay member you can do an 'advanced search' for the item you specify where the auction has ended. You will then see what sold what didn't, what the start price was, what it was bid up to (whether it sold or not). Ebay is so huge now that you will almost always get at least a hit or two, but generally much more. Much better than industry determined, insider only, wholesale prices.

Finally, the only thing that determines the sale price of any bike is what the buyer will pay, and what the seller will take.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #24
pudlepirate
Registered Member

my personal feeling is that most of these people are trying to recoup an upside down bike.

Suprise, paying the 99.99 per month for 24 months did little else but keep up with the interest on a $10000 loan! I would guess that most of these people are math majors who got sucked into the yamakawazuki credit card deals. (Saw it happen to 4 people on my ship with 03 yamaha r6's.) It is a cruel fact of life that sportbike value plumits nearly as fast as an american suv the first time you turn the key, especialy if you are like the rest of us mere mortals and ocaisionaly tip the frickin thing over. my fellow short inseamers can relate I'm sure.

(my gramar and spelling might suck, but I do understand money to some extent.)
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

In Dog Oui Truss
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #26
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I want you guys to stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #27
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Install a new clutch and Bob's yer uncle!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #28
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

But that's a real fine lookin VFR ya got.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
earthspirit60
Registered Member

I have always sold my bikes at much higher prices than the KBB. My bikes are pristine and have many tastefully done, high quality mods and run, look and "feel" better that a stock version of the same bike. I have sold 11 bikes in my life and am friendly with all 11 new owners to this day. They have felt they got a great deal, when they go to sell and they get most of thier money back KBB is a guide...a way for dealers to get your nice bike in trade for a low price. If your bike is not nice, they will go way low or just say no.
earthspirit60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

f*ckin' commie

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote