Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Distracted Driving

I blame Harley.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Lots of new riders these last few years. New riders get whacked at very high rates. That's enough to explain it. When the numbers of new riders goes down then the accident rate will go down. It never fails.

Doesn't matter what bike they're riding. That first year is a bytch.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Why not? Isn't HD already responsible for hurricanes, floods, the war in Iraq, bellybutton lint and that problem between you and Madonna?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

No, you are confusing Harley with "Climate Change"...wait a minute, it's all clear now.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

This morning, just up the street from my office, a sport bike rider was splattered on the road, front forks and wheel were squashed back past the frame. I checked our local newpaper's website at lunch, and it appears the driver of the car he T-boned was coming out of the donut shop, and claims "she never saw the motorcycle." The rider is listed as "critical but stable." Maybe she was eating, I don't know. It's hard enough to be seen on my bike without all the crap in the car... In Europe they have no cup holders in their cars. The idea of eating and drinking while driving is just weird to them. I know here in South Florida we believe in loud pipes. Say what you want, but I know without a doubt that I don't get "lane changed" on by cagers as much now as when I was running a stock exhaust on my HD. Even my sportbike buddies agree with me on that score.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
speedee
Registered Member

Distracted drivers are definitely a growing problem for motorcyclists. I try to make everyone I train aware of the enormity of the problem. We're already hard to see and those attention grabbing devices in the cage just make it harder. I am tired of hearing,"I didn't see you." When you see the distracted driver, stay away, follow them (if you can stand it), and when there's a crash, you get to be a witness vs. a participant. If you're wearing a helmet and they're wearing a car; they win even if they're wrong.
speedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
iamz
Founding Member

".... In Europe they have no cup holders in their cars."

That is just not true.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Prepare for Incoming Rash of ****

I still contend that FAILURE TO SEE MOTORCYCLE should be a ticketable offense for anyone who makes that statement to a law-enforcement officer after hitting a motorcyclist.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
minglet
Registered Member

No easy answer but I will say that cars have become entertainment centers on wheels. Drivers in this country blissfully spend their time talking and watching news while driving and acting as if their actions do not matter since they're so busy talking on the cell. I am constantly concerned when I'm driving my truck with inattentive drivers nearly running into me. When on the bike, I have assumed they don't see me at all and that they will pull in front of me at any second. It has happened before and will happen again but I've been prepared. Law enforcement seems oblivious other to an reactionary role just blaming the bike for being on the road at all. Motorbikes are second class citizens on America's highway and streets and since riders don't have sufficient political or economic clout to change that bias, it will fall onto the rider to have the ability and skill to negotiate the complete lack of public concern for the motorcyclist. Hopefully, we can get the AMA to put more pressure on the training of cagers to be aware of motorcyclists as well as the gradual reduction of these attention reducing activities that are taken for granted in today's driving environment. Take care and be safe.
minglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
testcase
Founding Member

In the glorious state of Utah, one of our state reps was sponsoring a bill to allow police to ticket people for "distracted driving". He says he drafted this bill after witnessing a woman driver swerving on the road while eating a salad she was holding in her lap.

Last I heard, it was killed in committee because another representative, who is a police officer, said it's unreasonable to ticket someone who is turning around in their seat while driving to buckle in their child who may have undone their buckle.

Because, of course, it's apparently unreasonable to pull over and do this and, for god's sake, we have to THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

I assume, also, that this means that Utah's finest do not have the capacity to differentiate between buckling child in and salad eating.

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote