Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #81
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: Distracted Driving

I'm not sure you could really find evidence that a majority of the increase in fatalities is due to distracted driving, though it's definitely increased in the last 10 years pretty consistently. I think you'll find more newbs, the tendency to start on bigger bikes, and lack of training and proper gear at the heart. No question though, 20 years ago I didn't seem to have to practice as many evasive maneuvers as I do today.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #82
testcase
Founding Member

Heard yesterday they went back and re-added all the crap Buttars wanted to his "no gay club in schools" bill and passed it..

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #83
testcase
Founding Member

I used to have a convertible. One day, while I was parked with the top down, a bird decided to die under my front seat. Very very odd smell for the whole summer. It wasn't until winter one day that I found its mummified remains...

Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #84
testcase
Founding Member

Default Re: What the AMA should be doing

It'd be a start, but would depend a lot on enforcement and that'll get everyone complaining about cops ticketing for "dumb offenses while the REAL criminals get away!"

Old 02-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #85
fumanchu
Founding Member

as an american in europe, i would have to say that europeans are immensely more attentive drivers than those in the states. just some things i've noticed...

1. our cars over here (central/eastern europe) are generally smaller and stop on a dime in comparison to the behemoths found on american streets, decreasing the necessary buffer zone. as a result, people are very used to driving in tight spaces at full speed, and drive in a constant state of alert/awareness. this is beneficial for motorcyclists.

1b. in and around cities, drivers over here don't generally take themselves out of the driving experience with dvd players, sandwiches, starbucks, etc. i have yet to see a real set of cup holders in a european car (outside of a bentley or bmw 7-series).

1c. it is illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving a car, unless you are using a hands-free headset.

2. the percentage of motorcycle drivers in congested, ancient european cities is much higher than in american cities, which means that people are more aware of motorcyclists. e.g., half of the doctors i work with are daily-commute bikers.

3. lane-splitting is legal, and every driver learns this fact in compulsory drivers' education (meaning that they look for mopeds and motorcycles before lane changing. they keep us in mind, even if they resent us).

4. for economic reasons i suppose, 99.9 percent of the cars here are manual transmission shifters (and most without cruise), meaning that the drivers are actively driving, and not being allowed to zone out. try talking on a cell phone and changing gears at the same time while navigating heavy traffic.

just my 2 cents, mateys,

-cap'n pants
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #86
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

......and then he traded-in on a Little Red Corvette........

(Baby, it was much too Fast!)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #87
testcase
Founding Member

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP JUST.. STOP. No one threw up the 'lets go crazy' sign to party like its 1999.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #88
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Drivers Ed, summer 1974. After 3 weeks of 90+ degree weather, they finally get to needing the school's cars for slow speed driver training in the adjacent elementary school parking lot. Myself and 3 others get handed the keys to the Dodge Dart (still set up with handicap controls). A squirrel or other small mammal had crawled up inside somewhere and died, baking for nearly a month in this sealed sarcophagus, building up an odor that would make Mike Rowe ("Dirty Jobs" host) sieze up and die.

We are nauseated beyond belief and are told we have to use this foul box of evil death gas to creep around a parking lot in mid-day 98 degree summer swelter. Turning on the air conditioning made it worse, to our amazement. We leaned as far out the windows as possible and soldiered through one of the worst hours of our young lives.

I have since never experienced a vehicle that disgustingly scented, and imagine it begins to approach that Corvette they let a pig carcass rot within on "MythBusters".

Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #89
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: I've seen it all.

Dave's not here.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #90
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: What the AMA should be doing

Oh, we're gonna do that anyway.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote