Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-14-2001, 12:56 PM   #1
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: Super Valves

My guess is that it's electro-magnetic in nature, controlled by a system similar to electronic ignition.
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2001, 01:05 PM   #2
granny
Founding Member

Ducati was rumored to be working on such a thing (i would be surprised to learn that Honda wasn't). Computer controlled cam timing would be quite nifty - it would make the mechanically based variable duration/timing system on the new Porsche turbo seem mickey mouse (Road and Track had a write up on the Porsche system). One problem - with solenoids/whatever controlling the valves, Ducati could no longer be distinguished by their "desmo" trademark. C'est la vie.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 01:09 PM   #3
hackfu
Founding Member

Funny you should mention Honda. Its rumoured that Honda will be licensing the electro-valve technology from Renault!

I don't know how much truth there is to this statement, however. Just something to look out for I suppose.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 01:17 PM   #4
GoFaster
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Super Valves Headed for Motorcycles?

Electromechanical valves do indeed use solenoids to control the valves. The main advantage is that it allows valve timing to be varied almost indefinitely. It has huge implications - think of Honda's VTEC system taken far, far further. Valve timing can be immediately changed to the best timing for any operating condition ... for maximum power at full load, or for best efficiency and emission control at part load.

There are two problems with all this. One of them has been the power consumption of the solenoids. To solve this, some systems use hydraulics (basically engine oil pressure) to do the actual work of moving the valve, with small solenoids controlling what the hydraulics are doing. Anyone out there with a Ford Powerstroke diesel? It's rather similar to the way the HEUI (hydraulically powered, electronically controlled, unit injector) system works for the fuel injection on those. (In fact, Navistar is working on a "camless diesel" which applies this principle to the valvetrains on their next generation diesel engines. No more dirty diesels - it's capable of reducing emissions on those engines to practically nil.)

The other problem has been getting the system to work fast enough. Making it work on a 4000rpm diesel is one thing - making it work on a 14,000 rpm gasoline engine is quite another. It may come eventually, but it looks like the first production application will be Navistar's diesel, and it is still a few years off.

It may happen in Formula 1 sooner than that, for the simple reason that those teams have a LOT of money available. It's a different story when trying to make something that is cost-effective.

Anyway, it's certainly all very interesting.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 01:59 PM   #5
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Super Valves Headed for Motorcycles?

Problem #1: High electric/hydraulic loads: thereby requiring really heavy-duty alternator or oil pump, or air compressor if an electro-pneumatic system is used instead of the proposed electro-hydraulic system. How much energy is used to turn a camshaft? Helical gears, chains or belts turning a shaft should be more efficient than massive alternators or oil pumps, shouldn't they?

Problem #2: Electrically- or electrohydraulically activated valves will work best on low-speed, high torque engines where valve timing is slower and can be more easily controlled. Meaning that this technology is best suited to Harley-Davidson, the least likely manufacturer to use it.
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 02:25 PM   #6
gt750
Registered Member

Default Two Stroke Fever!!!

I'll take an Orbital type engine anyday! I still NEED a four cylinder 1000c.c. two stroke. It'll be light, cheap and clean. Also will kick any four stroke's butt!
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 02:32 PM   #7
v2-90
Founding Member

Unless they had 2 solenoids - one for opening the valve and another to force close the valve

they could call it desmoelettrico or desmoelettro-meccanico

LOL

v2-90